Thread: Beauty walking by the sea

Default Beauty walking by the sea

Hi everyone, thank you for taking your time on my photo.

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, white balance, post-proceeding, and interact with model...

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    A girl walking by the sea, with the light from sunset shining on her face. Hope this can bring the feeling of beauty and face.
    In fact I do want to add more things into the photo, like the mystery feel like Siren, however I don't know how to "tell a story" with my DC.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    The photo was taken at Tioman Island around 6 pm. So the light at that time was not that warm, and I change the white balance.
    Camera: Nikon D300s. Lens: 16-85mm 3.5/5.6. Using 16mm. 1/2000s. f/3.5 ISO200.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    As a newbie, I'm quite happy with this photo. More seas in photo might make it better, however the shape of the shore and island also make the photo more vivid.

Default Re: Beauty walking by the sea

Would be nice if i could see the sunset like her. I feel disconnected from the subject.

You should decide whether you want a portrait (then focus on the face) or a landscape picture. You picture is somewhere in between...
    For landscape and sunset at Tioman I would recommend closing the aperture, using hyperfocal settings, increasing exposure by at least 1 stop. All your dark areas have lost every detail, but since the sun is shining at them (trees in background) there should be plenty of details still visible.
    If you want to tell a story then start with composition. If it's not there then no editing later will add any storyline.
    Simplify, you have too many things in the frame that call for attention: the stones around her feet, the beach, the dark patches of forest and the island..
    EOS

Agreed with Octarine, just wonder if this is a landscape or portrait photo?

From your photo setting, you are using 1/2000sec, f/3.5 and ISO 200, I would suggest to use the base ISO 100, f stop to adjust between f/5.6 to f/9, shutter speed 1/125 to 1/250 for portrait photo should be more than enough.

You are shooting during the sunset time, that the WB you will get. IF you want to achieve correct WB on the model please use flash.

"Interact with Model" eye contact will help here.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Blog Entries

WB is way off on this one.

Try correcting the underexposure and WB in the pic.
    Auto levels does a good job here.
    e.g.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Thank you for your advise. In fact the original photo is in better BW and exposure.
    Here is the one without any changing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by robinlxz View Post
    Thank you for your advise. In fact the original photo is in better BW and exposure.
    Here is the one without any changing on it.
    Where is your exposure? It's too dark. You could have used a CPL to cut out some stray light and enhance the sky and clouds, then increase exposure by 1 stop on top, adjust WB a bit and you're done. The rest is composition.
    Go back to Tioman (always a good thing to do ), find another model if this one is not at your hands and continue.
    EOS

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.