Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return your crockery and utensils at restaurants?

Default Re: Return your crockery and utensils at restaurants?

another way to help to push this champaign,

is to send out a few TV news interview teams at different food outlets,
    whenever they see customers leaving their tables without clearing crockery and utensils,
    approach them and give them an interview, ask them what they think about this champaign and how they can help, make sure the video is framing their table in the background.

if this can do this interview for a week, this will be the most successful and the shortest campaign we have..

btw, do you think we have too many campaigns over the years??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I do that often... no issue.
    and get paid $300 a month for doing the job?

I don't see clearing my table at a fast food joint as a favour for the cleaners or the management. It's consideration for the next person that might want to use the table. Esp at peak hours when the cleaners may take a while to get around to it. Same at hawker centres.
    Even if it wasn't mandatory, I'd clear my table at hawker centres, IF they had return stations. We could just do that first -- have return stations, and signs informing the patrons. See how many do it of their own accord, without resorting to more rules and shame tactics. I'd bet there are enough considerate folks out that that legislation is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    and get paid $300 a month for doing the job?
    For free for now... as a practice... may be later will have to make a living doing this...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I don't see clearing my table at a fast food joint as a favour for the cleaners or the management. It's consideration for the next person that might want to use the table. Esp at peak hours when the cleaners may take a while to get around to it. Same at hawker centres.
    Even if it wasn't mandatory, I'd clear my table at hawker centres, IF they had return stations. We could just do that first -- have return stations, and signs informing the patrons. See how many do it of their own accord, without resorting to more rules and shame tactics. I'd bet there are enough considerate folks out that that legislation is not necessary.
    based on my observations at tanglin halt hawker center - very few will return trays.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    was at one of the "clear your own table" hawker center, stall owner tell me: don't clear, later the cleaners out of work.
    Very shortsighted .. but it comes from top this way.
    What kind of society is this that leaves such jobs intentionally to the older people? Who would want his own parents doing such a job at the age of 70? Or is it something different if it's not one's own parents?
    EOS

Blog Entries

in South Korea there is a counter where there is a person who will collect your tray that you bring back dsicard the leftover food and liquids and put it on a conveyor belt for washing, very efficient.
    What we need to change first is our culture of putting bones and shells on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    based on my observations at tanglin halt hawker center - very few will return trays.
    Have they implemented it there? At the old hawker centre next to the HDB branch office? Or the aircon food court?
    I'm just opposite at Commonwealth Crescent.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Have they implemented it there? At the old hawker centre next to the HDB branch office? Or the aircon food court?
    I'm just opposite at Commonwealth Crescent.
    the one with wei yi laksa/prawn noodle. block 47/49.

there's aircon food court? where?

In Japan, eateries/fast food restaurants/cafe are very small and the tray collection counter is very close by. In certain cases small is an under-statement. This is because individual shops or units are rented by different operators. Sorry to say but the idea of "Hawker Centre" or "Food court" makes returning trays and crockery ridiculous in Singapore. And guess who is responsible for first forcing individual street hawkers into hawker complexes, and guess who collects the rent? Hah!

Bro, we may not want it for ourselves, nor for our loved ones or relatives, but there are those who NEED it. Its true, given a choice who wants to do it? Its a painful sight, like seeing those cleaning toilets etc esp if it involved the old & frail. But have you taken a closer work at those who are actually doing this job? Have you seen old man & woman scrounging the bins at night? Sorry to say but I see more old & needy persons around, esp in view of the fear of a large number of those growing old soon. There is no shame about such jobs even if we dont like it as it is honest way to earn a living & I dont look down upon it. Do we blame the govt or society which is but ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Very shortsighted .. but it comes from top this way.
    What kind of society is this that leaves such jobs intentionally to the older people? Who would want his own parents doing such a job at the age of 70? Or is it something different if it's not one's own parents?
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 20th May 2013 at 08:09 PM.

after clearing the tray, do we need to pay the 10% service charge?
    Objection !!!

Why can't we eat with our hands and banaba leaves like Ang Moh?

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Bro, we may not want it for ourselves, nor for our loved ones or relatives, but there are those who NEED it. Its true, given a choice who wants to do it? Its a painful sight, like seeing those cleaning toilets etc esp if it involved the old & frail. But have you taken a closer work at those who are actually doing this job? Have you seen old man & woman scrounging the bins at night? Sorry to say but I see more old & needy persons around, esp in view of the fear of a large number of those growing old soon. There is no shame about such jobs even if we dont like it as it is honest way to earn a living & I dont look down upon it. Do we blame the govt or society which is but ourselves?
    I think you are missing Octarine's point, I really doubt that he's actually despising cleaners.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 20th May 2013 at 09:25 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

wah lau....if everyone return their own trays, then what am I going to do for my retirement job? I am supposed to work till I drop leh.

sometimes
    i bohpian
    clear other people's food and tray for my own table
    cleaning staff very short handed (eg Bedok North St 2 where I eat with my in-laws)
    after eating.
    own self clear tray also.

But guess what . even the tray return trolley is full.
    Placing items in is like playing Jenga. except that a spill will mean miscellaneous sauces, gravy, soups will be on the floor, people's shoes, my clothes, etc.
    Very precarious.

infrastructure must be built to encourage tray return
    eg in Ikea Tampines. very nice tray return area. Don't feel very grossed out by the threat of spillage also.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    wah lau....if everyone return their own trays, then what am I going to do for my retirement job? I am supposed to work till I drop leh.
    You can drop your pants

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    sometimes
    i bohpian
    clear other people's food and tray for my own table
    cleaning staff very short handed (eg Bedok North St 2 where I eat with my in-laws)
    after eating.
    own self clear tray also.

But guess what . even the tray return trolley is full.
    Placing items in is like playing Jenga. except that a spill will mean miscellaneous sauces, gravy, soups will be on the floor, people's shoes, my clothes, etc.
    Very precarious.

infrastructure must be built to encourage tray return
    eg in Ikea Tampines. very nice tray return area. Don't feel very grossed out by the threat of spillage also.
    I think its the same everywhere.. especially at lunch hours..
    What needs to be done is think how to handle these peak hours..
    Or use technology to clean dirty dishes

They are just trying hard to justify more FT by reducing FL so that the message to you is "you see ... Tighten labour already .. U clear your own plate ok... If u cannot take it, better stop compliant import more labour here.
    Trying hard to mix FT with FL ...
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    You can drop your pants
    You sell tickets for his show?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast