2nd September 2002, 12:03 AM
DIM LCD on my Dimage X please help...
hi, i just got a dimage x...
1. i realise that for most occasions when i take photos AT NIGHT, the LCD is Very very dim... i practically can't see the target i am shooting!!
2. i usually see little dots of light on LCD, which correspond to the brighter parts of the picture... eg light bulb, candle flame etc...
but as for the target's face etc all i see is BLACK!!
3. for example, on the street out side my house, (it has those standard orange street lamp) if i try to view a target under the street lamp, i practically can't see him!! apart from a bit of an orange glow, the lcd is BLACK!!!
4. HOWEVER, the LCD functions PEFECTLY at other times... in the day, or in brightly lit areas, in play back mode etc....
5. My nikon 885 is MUCH better, basically if i can see the target at night, i can see the target thru its LCD.....
Thus i am now wondering.. is this a HARDWARE FAULT? should i bring it back to minolta to change?
or are all dimage x like this ? (since the lens is so small.. 1cm square!)
any other dimage x owners out there have this problem?
or anyone care to give some advice? thanks!
2nd September 2002, 08:05 AM
it's not a hardware fault...
more of a hardware limitation.
At night, the amount of light is insufficient, so to maintain a high refresh rate for the LCD, exposure needs to be short for each frame. That's why everything is dark and you only see bright spots.
This is a common problem for all LCD/EVF. However, some cameras increase the gain when it comes to low light, so they get a fairly bright display with good refresh rate, but noise level will increase.
It's nothing to worry about.