Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what filter should i get?

I use both hood and clear filter... After years of using and seeing scratches on the filter, I, myself, felt it's worth to have a filter attached...

Hood had also saved my lens... Smack my lens against wall... Dented the hood, else that dent will be on my lens...
    Last edited by iguanavon; 19th May 2013 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by overcrash View Post
    I beg to differ.
    The very first filter that go onto each and every of my lens is a UV filter.

I am very sure any one of us yes would rather have our UV filter scratched, than the glass element of the lens scratched.
    One can argued that with really really good care, you would not need UV filter.
    I agreed but i rather buy insurance.
    I'd agree with u.. I almost scratched the front elements of my 70-200 f2.8 during an event... Thankfully for my UV filter.. if not there goes my money
    Sigma 2470 & 70200 f2.8 | EM1 | Oly 1240 f2.8 | EM5 | Oly 1250 | Pana 45150 | Ricoh GRD IV

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post

Sorry dont quite understand the setup.
    Where the camera body?

Default Re: what filter should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Yup. But that also means that what Octarine said is also correct. That most UV light is actually reduced mostly by optical glass of a lens. Just that spectrum between 400nm to 310nm is let through. And the rest are mostly blocked by the sensor assembly. only a small range like 380-400nm is left to pass through and is negligible.
    Octarine --> "there's hardly any UV leaving the lens to the sensor due to the coating of lens elements"
    You ---> "That most UV light is actually reduced mostly by optical glass of a lens."

What you said and Octarine said is different ?

I read digital sensors on its own are sensitive to UV.
    I might believe the-just-in-front-of-the-sensor piece of glass (or plastic?) is able to reduce most of the UV
    vs
    The lens with many elements is able to reduce most of the UV.

Octarine --> "there's hardly any UV leaving the lens to the sensor due to the coating of lens elements"
    You ---> "That most UV light is actually reduced mostly by optical glass of a lens."

What you said and Octarine said is different ?

I read digital sensors on its own are sensitive to UV.
    I might believe the-just-in-front-of-the-sensor piece of glass (or plastic?) is able to reduce most of the UV
    vs
    The lens with many elements is able to reduce most of the UV.
    "No UV leaving the lens"(meaning the UV is absorbed by the lens) is similar to "most UV light is actually reduced mostly by optical glass of the lens"... Right?

Quote Originally Posted by iguanavon View Post
    "No UV leaving the lens"(meaning the UV is absorbed by the lens) is similar to "most UV light is actually reduced mostly by optical glass of the lens"... Right?
    Yes. And ?

Yes. And ?
    So Octarine and DD123 were saying the same thing... That's part of what you asked, right?

So Octarine and DD123 were saying the same thing... That's part of what you asked, right?
    Is optical glass reducing the UV the same as lens coating reducing the UV ?
    What did I ask ?

Is optical glass reducing the UV the same as lens coating reducing the UV ?
    What did I ask ?
    Yes, it is...

"Today, most lenses are multi-coated in order to minimize lens flare and other unwanted effects. Some lenses have a UV coating to keep out the ultraviolet light that could taint color. Most modern optical cements for bonding glass elements also block UV light, negating the need for a UV filter. UV photographers must go to great lengths to find lenses with no cement or coatings"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_lens

Yes, it is...

"Today, most lenses are multi-coated in order to minimize lens flare and other unwanted effects. Some lenses have a UV coating to keep out the ultraviolet light that could taint color. Most modern optical cements for bonding glass elements also block UV light, negating the need for a UV filter. UV photographers must go to great lengths to find lenses with no cement or coatings"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_lens
    Thank you ! I would say this is by far the "right answer". I guess it is the correct choice of words used i.e. "Today, most lenses", "Some lenses" and "Most modern" which I am sure they don't mean ALL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12