Thread: How do second hand camera shop survive?

Lightbulb How do second hand camera shop survive?

Given today's internet technology, and almost everything is on Ebay, Amazon, BHphoto, how do these camera shops survive? They have to pay rent, which is not cheap, and have to employ people at fixed hours. Sorry if this questions looks stupid or something, but somehow it intrigues me.

Default Re: How do second hand camera shop survive?

I know a few. They are doing so well that they can buy several properties. They drive limousines.

Given that a lot of the old malls like Adelphi, Peninsula, SLS are strata-titled, shops that have been tenants since the early days of the mall probably own their own premises. Don't know about local shops, but in US, a lot of brick-n-motar shops (in various industries) have a presence on ebay, additional sales channel. Example: http://stores.ebay.com.sg/Forks-Drum-Closet, http://stores.ebay.com.sg/Pacific-Rim-Camera. Also once inquired about an ad for a used imac on gumtree/craigslist, seller was actually representing a shop dealing in used computers. I suppose they have their ways.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 17th May 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    I know a few. They are doing so well that they can buy several properties. They drive limousines.
    limousine drivers so rich uh.

the owners might have other businesses, and that second-hand photography equipment shops are like their hobbies.

Well-to-do uncles are the biggest clients of the 2nd hand camera shops. The shops are usually staffed with camera experts looking like a model making uncles very happy customers:

Last edited by Sion; 17th May 2013 at 01:58 AM.

Buy and selling over web not easy hor, you can see from some many complaints here. So going to.a dealer is simple BUT you know he is going to give you rock bottom quote for your stuff. Haha

I think this is not an easy biz but definitely can bring in the $ if you know your stuff. Maybe beside selling 2nd hand stuff, you can also provide some services. Like cleaning of sensor or lens. Let me learn the rope and maybe that is my retire job.

Why do we need to speculate?

If you are curious, just talk to the bosses of those first or second hand camera shops so that you will understand why they can survive till today.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Given today's internet technology, and almost everything is on Ebay, Amazon, BHphoto, how do these camera shops survive? They have to pay rent, which is not cheap, and have to employ people at fixed hours. Sorry if this questions looks stupid or something, but somehow it intrigues me.
    If they tell you, they will not be able to survive anymore. It is like breaking the magician's code.

1) just a front to launder money.
    2) owner own the shop, so very little overheads beside electricity
    3) owner already very rich, lose $$$ also never mind, just a hobby to him.
    4) keep the shop open for old times sake, meet old friends and make some new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    the owners might have other businesses, and that second-hand photography equipment shops are like their hobbies.
    u mean selling counterfeit batteries?