Thread: Is there a Canon & Nikon sites with lists of every lens, bodies and user reviews?

Default Is there a Canon & Nikon sites with lists of every lens, bodies and user reviews?

As the title says, I was wondering if the more experienced forumers here know if Canon, and Nikon have their own separate websites which include a list of every lens available for their system, and user reviews. I'd be very interested to read such sites.

To give you an example of the type of site I mean, please have a look at Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Before the moderators tackle me and kick me off the forum, I'm not trying to push the Pentax brand.

What I'm asking you to do is look at the layout of the site. It has the usual forum with Pentax centred discussions (and immature online arguing), but what I find to be very well laid out, and useful is their review section. Here, you can see a list of every lens in every previous incarnation, the lens series's, lenses in each series, current and out of production lenses, with physical characteristics, and then user reviews including price, pros, cons and your viewpoint.

I know I could go to other sites like dpreview.com, or amazon.com, or b & h photo, but I'd have to individually click on each lenses, there is not list of current and out of production lenses and bodies, and you have to work things out by yourself. On pentaxforums, it's all laid out. I usually ignore the forums, and read the user reviews, when I want to know if the lens may or may not suit me.

Are there any Canon or Nikon lenses which this sort of layout and thoroughness? I'd love to find out if there is. When I google Nikon or Canon, I get sites with bloggers who favour C or N, and the few which have N or C in their web address seems to be poorly populated.
    Samsung Galaxay S4 Zoom, Pentax MX-1,Olympus OM-D EM-5 (wet weather camera), Pentax X-5

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a Canon & Nikon sites with lists of every lens, bodies and user reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTaylor View Post
    As the title says, I was wondering if the more experienced forumers here know if Canon, and Nikon have their own separate websites which include a list of every lens available for their system, and user reviews. I'd be very interested to read such sites.

To give you an example of the type of site I mean, please have a look at Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Before the moderators tackle me and kick me off the forum, I'm not trying to push the Pentax brand.

What I'm asking you to do is look at the layout of the site. It has the usual forum with Pentax centred discussions (and immature online arguing), but what I find to be very well laid out, and useful is their review section. Here, you can see a list of every lens in every previous incarnation, the lens series's, lenses in each series, current and out of production lenses, with physical characteristics, and then user reviews including price, pros, cons and your viewpoint.

I know I could go to other sites like dpreview.com, or amazon.com, or b & h photo, but I'd have to individually click on each lenses, there is not list of current and out of production lenses and bodies, and you have to work things out by yourself. On pentaxforums, it's all laid out. I usually ignore the forums, and read the user reviews, when I want to know if the lens may or may not suit me.

Are there any Canon or Nikon lenses which this sort of layout and thoroughness? I'd love to find out if there is. When I google Nikon or Canon, I get sites with bloggers who favour C or N, and the few which have N or C in their web address seems to be poorly populated.
    There is no one site. If you are looking for user reviews, FM reviews is the place to check out.
    For controlled tests reviews, Photozone.de and lenstip.com. For canon, you can also check out the-digital-picture.com. For Nikon, you can also check out Bjørn Rørslett's lens review database.
    For camera reviews dpreview is the one to go for. For image comparison between bodies, image resource is the one to check out.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th May 2013 at 04:48 PM.

For Sony, there's dyxum.com as well
    Alpha

Default Re: Is there a Canon & Nikon sites with lists of every lens, bodies and user reviews?

I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    For Sony, there's dyxum.com as well
    Thanks- this is the type of site I meant, although, to be honest, it doesnt seem nearly as well organised. No sorting by brand, only fixed/zoom/macro.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. However, those are just normal forums, which isn't what I was looking for. I don't want discussions, flaming and occasional lens reviews. I'd like a comprehensive list and sorting of all lenses for Canon and Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There is no one site. If you are looking for user reviews, FM reviews is the place to check out.
    For controlled tests reviews, Photozone.de and lenstip.com. For canon, you can also check out the-digital-picture.com. For Nikon, you can also check out Bjørn Rørslett's lens review database.
    For camera reviews dpreview is the one to go for. For image comparison between bodies, image resource is the one to check out.
    Thanks for your suggestions. However, I was looking for a site which has it ALL laid out. Every lens in every series, with each lens having details on size, weight, cost, series, compatiblilty, number of reviews, etc.

Popular photographer bloggers won't list and review every single lens (and those are just single reviews, not a wider range of user reviews). Sites like dpreview will show each lens, but if I wanted to see all lenses in, say, series XY, I'd have to click on every single one (hundreds!) so work out for myself which lenses were in that series. Pentaxforums has it all arranged and easy to find by lens series, by brand, by prime/zoom. That's the sort of layout for Canon and Nikon lenses I'd like to see.
    Samsung Galaxay S4 Zoom, Pentax MX-1,Olympus OM-D EM-5 (wet weather camera), Pentax X-5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTaylor View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. However, I was looking for a site which has it ALL laid out. Every lens in every series, with each lens having details on size, weight, cost, series, compatiblilty, number of reviews, etc.

Popular photographer bloggers won't list and review every single lens (and those are just single reviews, not a wider range of user reviews). Sites like dpreview will show each lens, but if I wanted to see all lenses in, say, series XY, I'd have to click on every single one (hundreds!) so work out for myself which lenses were in that series. Pentaxforums has it all arranged and easy to find by lens series, by brand, by prime/zoom. That's the sort of layout for Canon and Nikon lenses I'd like to see.
    Like I said there is none. Seriously, the data is all out there, just that it is not all in one place. If you see a need for it, maybe it is a good opportunity for you to start one. It could become the go-to place. Personally, I prefer in depth reviews with controlled test results more than user reviews. BTW for lenses, Photozone.de covers pretty much most of the the popular lenses out there.

And for what you are looking for, FM reviews comes closest. http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
    Last edited by daredevil123; 18th May 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Perhaps TS can take the initiative to start a website database for all the camera bodies and lenses?