Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

  1. #41
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    In the end, also die............................................... ................................
    Take the shot!

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyboy View Post
    I drink purified/filtered water. Less illness for the whole family now.
    I bought the 5 stages RO/DI water and install under the sink. All drinking water will be from this additional tap, even for boiling water.

    My current tap water TDS (total dissolve solid) reading is about 55-65ppm. After putting the filter system is about 0-2ppm.

    Stage #1: Sediment pre-filter to reduce sediment, dirt, rust particles, silt and suspended matter.
    Stage #2: Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) pre-filter to reduce chlorine, organic chemicals, bad taste and odours.
    Stage #3: Carbon block pre-filter to further remove any residual chlorine, tastes & odours, and extending the RO membrane's life. .
    Stage #4: RO membrane to remove bacteria, virus and cysts, and reduce dissolved heavy metals and contaminants. The filtered water is stored in a diaphragm tank, also under the sink.
    Stage #5: Post-filter Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) to remove odour and improve taste at time of usage. The final step of this water purification process "polishes" the water to make it suitable for drinking.
    Added Stage # DI - for super clean water for my marine aquarium. TDS reading is 0.0ppm.

    Stage 4 & 5 can last for years, but stage 1,2 & 3 must change the cartridges within a year. You will notice, within 3 months, the stage 1 sediment filter will turn colour from white to dark red/brown due to all the dirt/rust it trapped.
    Can let me know where and how much u spent on this filtration?

  3. #43

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    In the end, also die............................................... ................................
    don't want to die painfully or so quickly. my last 7 lives didn't end in fun.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  4. #44

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    3M is good. They are not one of the most biggest successful company in the world for nothing. They must be doing something right.

    Having said that, hyflux is not bad actually. The problem with hyflux pitcher is the water flow is slow and the filter may not work properly if you don't know how to install properly
    Noted. Will look into its details.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    In the end, also die............................................... ................................
    I would say that only beneficiary of death is the person who died.
    The others who are reliant on that person, the suffering could be worse than death.

  6. #46

    Default

    How are Brita filter jugs compared to Hyflux or 3M?

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dry Cabinet
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Can let me know where and how much u spent on this filtration?
    I spend about $500 for the whole set from my friend. Comes with booster pump, a tank, 5 stage filter and additional de-ionised filter cartridge.
    Every 6 months, I'll spend another $30 for sediment, GAC & carbon block. I bought from a reefing shop, which is cheaper. Probably every 3-4 years, another $85 for the RO membrane cartridge.

    I think this company, ultrapure.com.sg is selling similar setup as mine under sink filter.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    In the end, also die............................................... ................................
    But before you die, you should have a taste of what pure water should be like.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by -120- View Post
    How are Brita filter jugs compared to Hyflux or 3M?
    It should also work well. IMO, filter jugs won't go wrong regardless of brand cos the volume of water passing through it is minimal.

    The thing about filter jugs are the filtration is not done at source. Usually, you will boil water from the tap. Use the boiling water for your hot beverages, children cereal/milk. Wait for the water to cool before pouring over the pitcher. You will also get water from the tap to cook. So your plain drinking water is filtered but all your other water needs are not.

    Secondly, do you change the filter regularly?
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 17th May 2013 at 09:17 AM.

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -120- View Post
    How are Brita filter jugs compared to Hyflux or 3M?
    When I was looking around for filters, one salesman was explaining about Brita. He said that Brita is a German brand. And Europeans will buy this brand because they are familiar with it, as compared to Hyflux.

    But Brita costs more, FYI. I'm sure it has high quality as well, since its well known in EU.

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post

    It should also work well. IMO, filter jugs won't go wrong regardless of brand cos the volume of water passing through it is minimal.

    The thing about filter jugs are the filtration is not done at source. Usually, you will boil water from the tap. Use the boiling water for your hot beverages, children cereal/milk. Wait for the water to cool before pouring over the pitcher. You will also get water from the tap to cook. So your plain drinking water is filtered but all your other water needs are not.

    Secondly, do you change the filter regularly?
    Salah already. You filter the water first in the jug before boiling it.

  12. #52
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    But before you die, you should have a taste of what pure water should be like.
    I've tasted all kinds of water, therefore I'm dying ...........
    Take the shot!

  13. #53

    Default

    Remember reading an article by USDA on treated water. It mentioned boiling will cause formation of THM in chlorinated water, when consumed, THM triggers free radical formation in the body thus promotes cancer. Anybody come across such theory or similar stuff?

  14. #54
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    don't want to die painfully or so quickly. my last 7 lives didn't end in fun.
    You have catnip juice. Better than water...........
    Take the shot!

  15. #55

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    You have catnip juice. Better than water...........
    that was how #7 ended. I fell off the balcony thinking I could float in air. LOL

    anyway, i like Hyflux. very nice technology. it helps I am Olivia fan ... and indirect shareholder (thru my darling)
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  16. #56

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    that was how #7 ended. I fell off the balcony thinking I could float in air. LOL

    anyway, i like Hyflux. very nice technology. it helps I am Olivia fan ... and indirect shareholder (thru my darling)
    So.. you have a share in Olivia ?

  17. #57

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by -120- View Post
    Remember reading an article by USDA on treated water. It mentioned boiling will cause formation of THM in chlorinated water, when consumed, THM triggers free radical formation in the body thus promotes cancer. Anybody come across such theory or similar stuff?
    After reading what you posted. I did a bit of "internet research". My understanding is its effects is with chlorine rather than chloramines.

  18. #58
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    [QUOTE=Shizuma;8458633]that was how #7 ended. I fell off the balcony thinking I could float in air. LOL
    QUOTE]
    You never use filter? ...........
    Take the shot!

  19. #59
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?


  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Tap and pitcher water filters...are they effective?

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Salah already. You filter the water first in the jug before boiling it.
    realised my Britta water pitcher obsoleted already. Cannot find replacement filters. So bought an Instapure R8. Seems like can filter almost anything. Do we have all those pollutants in Singapore? Nevertheless, quick like the auto switch feature where it switch back to unfiltered water for washing of dishes, thus extending filter life. But a bit sceptical that it can effectively filter cos the filter is small and the flow rate seems a bit too fast to be effective.



    From the website of the distributor of Instapur,

    Last edited by ManWearPants; 19th May 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •