Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84

Thread: how much have u spend on photography?

  1. #61
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    I would say this pic already worth all the amount you hv spent. It is beautiful!
    Thanks, I guess that picture is a firm reminder that sometimes it's all about being at the right place, right time. That was a while ago when I was relatively new to photography and was snapping away at anything and everything, heh.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    .....does it really matter you've spent $1000 or $100000?
    Spending $1000 on photography = you are doing just okay or wife is controlling your expenditure.

    Spending $100000 on photography = you are doing more than okay or you've married a rich wife.
    Last edited by Sion; 14th May 2013 at 05:19 PM.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    "We photograph to drive things out of our minds."
    If you shoot XMMs then you photograph to drive things into your mind.


  4. #64

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Like most photographer's wife, your wife would be happy to know you didn't spent the money on other woman's body
    You do know there's a photoshoots section in CS.. don't you ?

  5. #65

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    You do know there's a photoshoots section in CS.. don't you ?
    Are you going to tell your wife how much he spent on those women's bodies ???
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 14th May 2013 at 07:49 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  6. #66
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Thanks, I guess that picture is a firm reminder that sometimes it's all about being at the right place, right time. That was a while ago when I was relatively new to photography and was snapping away at anything and everything, heh.
    some time, being at a right place, right time, is not just enough, you also need know what to do with your "basic instinct".....


    this shot was taken my first Punggol outing with the Mod Ortega, Mod ekin and many other photographers, we all set up our cameras on tripods, framing for the sunrise, suddenly I heard airplane flying, dismount camera and run up a slop, aim and shoot, this is the only one shot I took, and I am the only one shot the plane.




    btw, it is not shot with D1, is either D100 or D70 with 18-70mm kit lens
    Last edited by catchlights; 14th May 2013 at 09:10 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #67
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    some time, being at a right place, right time, is not just enough, you also need know what to do with your "basic instinct".....


    this shot was taken my first Punggol outing with the Mod Ortega, Mod ekin and many other photographers, we all set up our cameras on tripods, framing for the sunrise, suddenly I heard airplane flying, dismount camera and run up a slop, aim and shoot, this is the only one shot I took, and I am the only one shot the plane.




    btw, it is not shot with D1, is either D100 or D70 with 18-70mm kit lens
    Has it occurred to you maybe the pilot slow down the plane for you to take the shot?

  8. #68
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Has it occurred to you maybe the pilot slow down the plane for you to take the shot?
    not sure, but nowadays, I can only take Lockheed C-130 Hercules flying above me.......
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Cannot afford. Only can take bus and MRT. Your friend must know that once he is out of earshot, his PRC gal will condemn him as stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    what is there to envy? You take bus or MRT, definaly cost more Maseerati. Lol
    I thought Ricohflex might have been that friend since he managed to list down all the same hobbies.

    I kept a spreadsheet to record this hobby. I have to say it is expensive if you want to include the photography trips, the xmm shoots, repairs and right down to accessories.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 14th May 2013 at 11:37 PM.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    I was at macau (as I went HK for a week just for time lapse ) and saw one, two and then, THREE photographer carrying those BIG lens. At least a 400mm if I am not wrong. So, this thread suits them, haha! Btw, I also upgrade my gears and I really love the bokeh and sharpness of my new toy. So, it's not the $ you spend, it's whether worth for you to save up and get it for the results which you wanted.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  11. #71
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    So, it's not the $ you spend, it's whether worth for you to save up and get it for the results which you wanted.
    A lot will depend on your skill.

  12. #72

    Default

    Around $2k!

  13. #73

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Grossed!

    There's a photo competition, opened till 29-May-13. Dont have to sell ur kidney!

    Do PM me if you need the link

  14. #74

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Hmm, I'm new and started with canon 550d. Then I realised that no point buying new. Better to buy second hand, confirm lose less money that way. Till date probably spent 2.5k since 2011. Now currently 7D + 15-85 and a 100mm macro non-L.
    I have other hobbies also like watches and also aquariums. I think watches by far costs the most and I only have 3. And only one is considered good. Rolly by the way.

  15. #75

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    buy legacy, better still.

    Good lens hard to find
    Legendary lenses will appreciate in value

    Just ask MWP about his CY Zeiss...
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  16. #76

    Default Re: how much have u spend on photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    buy legacy, better still.

    Good lens hard to find
    Legendary lenses will appreciate in value

    Just ask MWP about his CY Zeiss...
    Agreed that there are lenses which appreciate in value. A few years ago, the Voigtlander Macro Apo-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 SL is priced around USD600 brand new while still in production. Now I see second-hand lenses being sold for at least USD2000 on eBay. Also recently, someone post a thread in BNS selling his for SGD 2,850. Another such lens I can think of is the legendary Nikkor Noct 58mm f1.2 AIS.

  17. #77
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    I have an app where I can monitor my photography expenses. It only lists my current set up. I'm sure I have spent a lot more since I've been maniacal in buying since 2009.

    Last edited by digitalpimp; 23rd May 2013 at 03:03 AM.

  18. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    I have an app where I can monitor my photography expenses. It only lists my current set up. I'm sure I have spent a lot more since I've been maniacal in buying since 2009.
    Almost 4k for eyewear?!?!?!?

  19. #79
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post

    Almost 4k for eyewear?!?!?!?
    Heeeeeeeeh.

  20. #80
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post

    Almost 4k for eyewear?!?!?!?
    Yeah having a bad eyesight is troublesome

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •