Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Have been told by others that they travel very regularly (2 to 3 times every month for whole year) using frequent flyer miles or points. So they do not need to spend money buying the air tickets.



    While this may apply to a rare trip once in a long while, this cannot apply to frequent and constant air travel. So I don't buy the story. Common sense tells you it is not true.



    Checked the internet and it seems like you get an economy ticket for 1 short trip worth about $600 SGD after trading in 25,000 frequent flyer miles. Is that correct? Like me know actual figures, if it is inaccurate.

    How far is 25,000 air miles?
    That is flying from SG to BKK 28 times one way or 14 times round trip.

    Is frequent flyer miles (FFM) scheme a real benefit? Or is it a meaningless scam?
    Any experience facing many restrictions and limitations trying to use the FFM?

    Any seasoned air traveler here in CS can tell us more about FFM?
    Last edited by ricohflex; 12th May 2013 at 09:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Have been told by others that they travel very regularly (2 to 3 times every month for whole year) using frequent flyer miles or points. So they do not need to spend money buying the air tickets.

    While this may apply to a rare trip once in a long while, this cannot apply to frequent and constant air travel. So I don't buy the story. Common sense tells you it is not true.

    Checked the internet and it seems like you get an economy ticket for 1 short trip worth about $600 SGD after trading in 25,000 frequent flyer miles. Is that correct? Like me know actual figures, if it is inaccurate.

    How far is 25,000 air miles?
    That is flying from SG to BKK 28 times one way or 14 times round trip.

    Is frequent flyer miles (FFM) scheme a real benefit? Or is it a meaningless scam?
    Any experience facing many restrictions and limitations trying to use the FFM?

    Any seasoned air traveler here in CS can tell us more about FFM?
    Some people get miles from credit card spending also... and some of these card owners charge everything with their card.

    That, with constant business travel over long distances, it is possible. remember biz and first class get a lot more miles,

  3. #3

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Based on my limited experience for Delta Air, that 25,000 miles is pretty limited - yes you can change for a ticket, but there are many conditions, for example it has to be an off-peak period and very limited slots for each flight. Booking also has to be made quite early.

    They award miles for a lot of things like hotel stay in affiliated hotels, expenditure in certain places etc, so it's possible to accumulate a lot given the right conditions.
    25,000 is not difficult - 3-4 trips to Japan will easily get you those miles.

    For my friends who work regional jobs and fly frequently (at least once a month), it is very possible to accumulate a LOT of air miles.
    A friend who goes to Europe at least once a month on business easily earns enough to bring his entire family for holiday twice a year FOC.

  4. #4

    Default

    The ffm is priced in the ticket fare. Some airlines sell cheaper tix which don't earn miles.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Usually is those flying on company expense one lah unless you are very rich, nothing to do and travel to pass time. Especially for MNCs executives who fly business class across zones, their points can grow very fast. quickly.

  6. #6
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,943
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    not that hard

    1 or 2 round trips to the US or Europe will be enough to redeem a Singapore-Korea-Singapore ticket on some airlines

    US Carriers like American, Delta and United usually have good plans
    Emirates and Qatar is also not bad

    SIA is quite stingy in this area .....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #7
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,943
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Usually is those flying on company expense one lah unless you are very rich, nothing to do and travel to pass time. Especially for MNCs executives who fly business class across zones, their points can grow very fast. quickly.
    wait long long ...... usually for MNC, the company will earn those points and miles , not its emplyees who are flying ... because ticket is bought by the MNC
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

    wait long long ...... usually for MNC, the company will earn those points and miles , not its emplyees who are flying ... because ticket is bought by the MNC
    Eh no leh. My previous 2 MNC employer pay for tickets but frequent flyer miles we get one. Maybe the companies I worked for are generous and I'm not sure about other mnc... But unfortunately did not travel much so got ffm also like no ffm. Some more sq ffm got 3 yr limit one... Always burn..
    Hua Hee tu hou la...Happy can liao

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    In the past when I was an IT consultant in the US, I made platinum for United Airlines Frequent Flyer in 3 months alone. But life was hell, living out of a suitcase all the time. After that, I always fly business back to Singapore for vacations for the price of discount economy pricing for the next 3-4 years.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

    wait long long ...... usually for MNC, the company will earn those points and miles , not its emplyees who are flying ... because ticket is bought by the MNC
    No lag. It has to be under the employee's name. So the points are available to the employee. That's how I get my miles. I certainly can't be paying for trips to North America, Europe and North East Asia out of my own pockets!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  11. #11
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Years back, when I had to travel Lisbon - Singapore almost every month, I got gold membership in 1.5 year time.

    got couple of free tix from SIN to BKK or some SE cities.
    Last edited by Foxshade; 13th May 2013 at 03:26 PM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    wait long long ...... usually for MNC, the company will earn those points and miles , not its emplyees who are flying ... because ticket is bought by the MNC
    Tickets can be in the name of the traveller mah.

    To answer TS question, these are loyalty programs. You can only accumulate enough miles for claims if you stick with one airline and their partner airlines. There was a period of time when I have been flying a bit but with different airlines due to flight route and price. End up didn't get any perks despite covering many miles. So if ah gong is paying, choose the more flexible fare and accumulate the miles.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 13th May 2013 at 04:24 PM.

  13. #13
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Hah, there are a few who clocked more than 10,000,000 miles (401 times around the Earth's circumference) already being invited to secretive frequent flyer clubs (elite of the elites) where there are only a number of selected few members in it. For me, sometimes I got downgraded from economy class to the sh1t jump seat.

    A very reliable source.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  14. #14

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Hah, there are a few who clocked more than 10,000,000 miles (401 times around the Earth's circumference) already being invited to secretive frequent flyer clubs (elite of the elites) where there are only a number of selected few members in it. For me, sometimes I got downgraded from economy class to the sh1t jump seat.

    A very reliable source.
    the mile high club?

  15. #15
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Frequent flyer miles or points to off set air ticket cost

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    the mile high club?
    That one anyone can join, happened most often than not in the Crew Rest Area (CRA) / Crew Rest Compartment (CRC) with even orgies not unheard of. Personally encountered and stumbled upon several used condoms in there a number of times.

    United Airlines (UAL) named Boeing 747-400 after 10 million miles frequent flyer.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •