Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What lens to buy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwin Shevilapple View Post

IIRC ? Can help me find reliable sites ? I saw a lot of sites citing different prices . The Canon official website says that the 17-55 is sold at 1899 . Then how does the Tamron 17-50 fair with the Canon 17-55 ? Thanks
    As stated, please refer to the shops in the priceguides section.
    Alpha

Default Re: What lens to buy ?

IIRC ? Can help me find reliable sites ? I saw a lot of sites citing different prices . The Canon official website says that the 17-55 is sold at 1899 . Then how does the Tamron 17-50 fair with the Canon 17-55 ? Thanks
    here's a list of shop which you can patronise:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/price...ml#post7312281

of which i will recommend going to TK Foto, Cathay Photo, MS Color, SLR Revolution and Orient Photo. then there is Click Camera just beside SLR Revolution also.

Canon's official website only gives the standard retail price(SRP), but it will usually be cheaper at the authorised dealers' side.

comparing between the Tamron and Canon, if budget is not an issue(since you can go up to $1.4-ish), just go for the Canon.

i am not saying the Tamron 17-50 VC is bad, in fact it is quite a sharp lens(though it's non-VC brother is sharper) but the AF motor is slow and noisy.

while slow AF does not matter for video since you will MF anyway but it is quite important when shooting still images where you need quick acquisition of focus.

also, the Canon 17-55 is very good in controlling chromatic aberration. it has little to no CA even when you shoot wide open at f2.8.

flare was also not an issue, i never once worried about having the sun in my frame.

i will leave it to you to decide whether it is worth spending 2x the amount for the Canon or not.

i had the Canon 17-55 for almost 2 years and it is definitely a fantastic lens to use.

Oh okay thanks I saw a lot of reviews that say that it has a poor build quality , prone to flair , no lens hood provided and expensive . :O

Thanks But I saw a lot of reviews that say that it has a poor build quality , prone to flair , no lens hood provided and expensive ! :O

Thanks But I saw a lot of reviews that say that it has a poor build quality , prone to flair , no lens hood provided and expensive ! :O
    Welcome to Photozone! / Digital Photography Review
    Compare the images and see whether a) you can spot the difference and b) the difference is worth the money for you.
    I have the 17-50 and 28-75 (FF brother) in use and I'm happy. To me, the AF noise is not a showstopper at all and as long as you are not shooting sports or other fast movements the AF speed is fully sufficient.
    I haven't tried the 17-55, to be honest. Haven't seen the need for the type of pictures I take.
    EOS

Will the Tamron 24-70 VC produce noise during AF cuz it has the USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ? I have narrowed down to the tamron 24-70 VC or the canon 17-55 btw . Still can't decide which one I'm going for
    Last edited by Sherwin Shevilapple; 13th May 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Intrigued by your question, I took a video. And yeah I heard some sound during the playback. But I don't know if it is within tolerance levels.
    i think the best way would be for you to rent it from those gear rental shops (for $40 bucks a day i think) before making the decision. The AF was a little uncertain a couple of times. It isn't really an issue for me when I take photos. But I guess it'd be more of a concern for your videos.

Cheers.

don't want AF sound when shooting video ?

buy a legacy lens and do pure manual focus and manual aperture setting. Serious video user may have to declick the aperture ring for real silent operations.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12