Thread: Tripod Recommendation

Question Tripod Recommendation

Hi,

I am having a Canon 60D and Canon EF 100-400mm lens, I am looking for a light weight tripod for this combination. Any recommendation ?

Default Re: Tripod Recommendation

sirui t1004+g10 should b ok

or manfrotto 190xprob + 496rc2 ball head
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

A short write up on the Sirui R2004 by myself some time ago. I find the weigh of that tripod acceptable. But not sure about you.

The tripod + tripodhead is able to support my 7D + 300mm f4L (the older non-IS version) + 1.4x TC + Yongnuo YN565EX flashgun (recently) and 40D + BG-E2 and 430EX II flashgun + 300mm f4L (the older non-IS version) + 1.4x TC during the time of writing the review , with no problem at all.

Rhino123 Photography: A random nice write up on Sirui R-2004 tripod
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi, a tripod is meant to provide a steady support for your equipment to give you the best picture. It must also be steady enough not to topple over. Hence, a tripod must have a reasonable weight to be steady. A light weight is easy on the shoulder, but not safe. I've a Manfrotto which has been with me for almost 5 years. Suggest to try it in a shop before buying.

Must respectable carbon fiber tripods will do the trick. I'd think your tripod head will be the more important consideration.

In any case, you can consider the Sirui R or N 2204, M 3204, Manfrotto 055 series, or pretty much any Gitzo or RRS tripod.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Carbon fiber ones are the way to go, now that prices of these once-exotic-and-expensive materials have dropped quite a bit... but if funds allow, get two tripods, one that is smaller and lighter for travelling, and one larger for normal use. for the regular one, the fully-extended height of the tripod without the centre column extended should be about the chest level.
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

I would also like to take this opportunity to ask about the tripod head.

Currently, I'm using the Herringbone handgrap on my DSLR. The base plate uses the acra swiss system. I've been trying searching the CS threads and ask the shops for the tripod that is compatible with the acra swiss, but unfruitful. Other than the Sirui tripods, which other brands is compatible ?

I've been asking about Manfrotto and Vanguard, but none can really confirm. I know Sirui is good but just want to have more options.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    I would also like to take this opportunity to ask about the tripod head.

Currently, I'm using the Herringbone handgrap on my DSLR. The base plate uses the acra swiss system. I've been trying searching the CS threads and ask the shops for the tripod that is compatible with the acra swiss, but unfruitful. Other than the Sirui tripods, which other brands is compatible ?

I've been asking about Manfrotto and Vanguard, but none can really confirm. I know Sirui is good but just want to have more options.
    Check out Sunwayfoto in TK... It's quite abit pricier than Sirui.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Check out Sunwayfoto in TK... It's quite abit pricier than Sirui.
    Thanks for the information. the FB series of the Sunwayfoto is compatible with Sirui, but they don't have the tripod.

The FB-28 seems to be firmer and hardy than the Sirui ballhead (compare to G10, G20 or even K10X, where the ball seems to raise higher from the socket).
    In general, does the Sunwayfoto is of a better build ? I presume both of them are able to do panning ?

I'm planning to go down to TK this Friday afternoon, but need to do some ground work first.

Well, you can get Tripod legs (from brand X) and ballheads (from brand Y)...mix and match. From the photos, Sunwayfoto does looks to have better build, but no hands-on experience with that.

*Currently still using a G10 which I'm looking to change to accommodate my heavier setup now. *
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I'm using sunway fb36 ballhead, build quality is excellent! Been using it for 3 months and love it

Quote Originally Posted by milad View Post
    Hi,

I am having a Canon 60D and Canon EF 100-400mm lens, I am looking for a light weight tripod for this combination. Any recommendation ?
    You can try out the range of Sirui tripods at TKFoto or Benro tripods at Benphoto to determine the best one that would suit your needs. If budget isn't an issue, I'd recommend Gitzo. The Manfrotto carbon fibre tripods (190CXPRO series and up) are pretty decent too, but I personally prefer twist locks over flip locks as they disassemble easily and that makes cleaning the legs a straightforward affair.

As for the head, I'd recommend going with Arca-Swiss compatible ones for their range of accessories. Sunwayfoto heads are pretty decent, and you can try them out at either TKFoto or Artworkfoto.

I use a Sirui tripod with a Really Right Stuff BH-30 ballhead. This combination works incredibly well, in my opinion.

I sort of compared the RRS against the Sunwayfoto ball heads when I was at TK Foto, and the latter make is no push over. Worth considering, although Sunwayfoto isn't rock bottom pricing either.
    Last edited by Blur Shadow; 17th May 2013 at 09:45 PM.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Blog Entries

Some Recommended ballheads:

Budget ball heads
    Sirui K10x K20x
    Photoclam PC-30NS
    Manfrotto 486/496 488/498
    Sunwayfoto FB-28

Mid Range ball heads
    RRS BH-30
    Photoclam PC-34NS PC-36NS
    Markins Q3 series (there are some problems with pan lock)
    Sunwayfoto FB-36

Higher end ball heads
    Sunwayfoto XB-44 XB-52
    RRS BH-44 BH-55
    Arca Swiss
    Kirk
    Acratech
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Just got a Sirui N1204 from TK. Very good service from John. Patient with explanation and full demo on the tripod. Quite many people buying the tripods from him. Wouldn't tell you to buy what you don't need. Somemore pay by CC.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    Somemore pay by CC.
    For most small ticket items, credit card is usually the same price as cash.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Just got myself a sirus TX 1024 + G10 ballhead for travel.. seemed really light compared to the aluminum body ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitewabbit View Post
    Just got myself a sirus TX 1024 + G10 ballhead for travel.. seemed really light compared to the aluminum body ones.
    shoule be a SIRUI T1204X....

My bad.. typo.. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    shoule be a SIRUI T1204X....

You need to know others factor for tripod too.
    Such as the max height, fold length, min height, etc..