Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Lens distortion. Any cure?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    sg, UK, FL
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansel
    OK, found. Scroll to the part under "extras".

    http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/D70/D70FAQ.html
    very nice illustration indeed.

    too bad its not a freeware... so many scripts..

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Earth
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    I certainly cannot lay claim to be an expert in large format photography, although 90% of my photography is with large format equipments. I am just a newie who like to work with the "big" camera.

    I think yOngcheng is talking about the distortion inherent in certain lenses, especially with the very wide angle ones.

    I do not use very lenses with my large format, so I do not see obvious "distortions" down to 80mm with my 4x5. There are perspective changes with wide angles, and telephotos for that matter. But distortions inherent in a lens?

    Can you advise how a large format equipment can reduce distortions inherent in lenses? I am not talking about "distortions" like perspective changes.
    Hey dude,
    It is you again! You seem to have a thing against me. Can we sit down together some time, have beer and talk?

    First of all, I say "some" distortion problems. Of course what is in a lens cannot be cured by having either large or small formats. We can tweak a little in Photoshop. But I am beginning to dislike Photoshop these days. So I will try to solve my problems even before the actual shoot. Photoshop, to me, is simply the last resort.
    Last edited by photopurist; 15th April 2005 at 09:02 PM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y0ngcheng
    Just curious, since technology is so advance now..
    Are there any softwares that are able to cure lens distortion? Noise images can be cure by Noiseninja and ect. I realise this problem after I shot some images with super wide angle. Anyone?
    hmmm ... this is definitely OT, but just to share my view ... i do not know of any software or sort that 'cures' or 'corrects' distortion caused by using wide angle lens, but unlike 'digital noise', i don't find distortions a problem. i'll prefer to work the distortion into the picture ... in fact i love distortions created by WA lens

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by photopurist
    Hey dude,
    It is you again! You seem to have a thing against me. Can we sit down together some time, have beer and talk?
    Nothing against you at all! Just making things clearer rfr myself and others.

    I could not understand how largeformat movements can cure distortions as you suggested in your first post. My experience in largeformat is really lacking. I do not have formal photography education like you have. So there must be things that I am not aware of. Perspective changes using movements, definitely. But the kind of lens distortions that this thread is talking about? That was why espn asked you to read the starting post again. But you stuck to your point, and I wrote to seek clarification.

    Surely, my question was reasonable?

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    i don't find distortions a problem. i'll prefer to work the distortion into the picture ... in fact i love distortions created by WA lens
    That was my suggestion in the first place. An example is using very wide lenses, distortions are often apparent. Sometimes knowing how the lens work can minimise these distortions. But as you said, sometimes distortions can be used to good effect.

    An example is the use of distortions in Bill Brandt's nudes. Take a look at these images. Quite amazing!

  6. #26
    Senior Member Ansel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land Downunder
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    hmmm ... this is definitely OT, but just to share my view ... i do not know of any software or sort that 'cures' or 'corrects' distortion caused by using wide angle lens, but unlike 'digital noise', i don't find distortions a problem. i'll prefer to work the distortion into the picture ... in fact i love distortions created by WA lens
    Agree with you on this point. We have to take distortions as part and parcel of a wide angle lens, especially the super wides where distortions are more obvious, and in some cases can be used to great artistic effect.

    However, if you are using a wide angle lens for panoramic stitching purposes, then lens distortion becomes a serious nuisance because it makes it tricky when adjacent frames don't overlap nicely due to distortions. The PTlens tool suggested by the earlier poster is actually part of a suite of Panoramic Tools (PT). The amazing thing about these tools is that they are all freeware!!

    Hey photopurist and student, lighten up, and yes, let's have some beer and wine sometime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •