Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samaritians and Profiteers in these Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-New
    I am a pro making a living out of selling my picture and services. And I don;t go for free lunches. I work for all my meals, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner or even supper and occassional drinks in a pub.
    point taken but this thread has evolved beyond free lunches.
    doubt anyone is interested in that now

I can't understand why it is wrong for someone to make money out of performing a service?

Profit is what drives the world. Without it I don't think anyone bothers to make an EOS or Nikon.

I salute anyone who could make some money in photography-related pursuits whether in weekend wedding or teaching photography or trading in photo equipments or organising model shoots or MO.

Profit is good.

Quote Originally Posted by jamestan
    You seem rather incoherent and babbling. What's your point? Can you re-write in plan simple English so that people like me can understand??
    I second that. I have to reread the original poster's thread, and still it doesn't register. May be my poor inglis-speeking??

What's wrong for those people that are doing MO here even if they earn some profit where they're helping us to get it at a lower price if we order from them.

Quote Originally Posted by cuxiaowang
    Anyone following this trend of late, this is getting pretty obvious of the above.

If anyone who happens to 'ask' or 'finger' this thread, no, there is no main point of this post except voicing my respects for those with good intention to help thin costs or render availability of common interest items for every fellow member here. Isnt that the Spirit of the MOs in the FIRST place?..

Fact these number of items have very distinctive costings thats increasingly transparent [thanks to a spreading as well entrepreneurial membership] - so much so any 'more' that, its called 'apparent'.

then comes Those who seek to rip an opportunistic

Always, we cant just send someone to the gallows the moment he raises a knife...to cut free a tangled fish - Contexts Vary. so for those yet 'informed brothers and sisters' herein, its 'caveat emptor' --- "Let the buyer beware"!

til then, it will always be "No Banal In My Thread!"... but there seems new versions of late..'Privacy' the new coined term?..
    cuxiaowang,

As I comprehend your well intent, it is not shared or grasped by many who seek to see the light here like raising the net to trap a floating fish -contexts not dissimilar but intentions same same.

Regarding those who seek to rip an opportunistic, turn mind back to the days of 5 cavemen and a net and few fishes in the water. Now reply me who wants tummy to be empty like drum to play music on?

til then, free lunches there always be but on one seems to proficient to finger them food?

As an MO'ee, I don't really bother if the one organising the MO makes any profit. I would have done my homework to find out how much the item actually cost on local as well as international market, to know roughly how much I'm paying for.

Comeon, if it's already cheaper than what you can find in the stores in Singapore, I'm not going to complain.

The extra profit goes to the MO'er for his admin services, the liason from overseas vendors, and not to mention, the risks he/she has to take when placing an order. Parcels do get stuck at some xxyy customs sometimes and it's a hassle to have to pop down to custom office once in a while.

As what ESPN mentioned, try doing an MO and you'll understand why the MO'er deserves that little bit of incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    cuxiaowang,

As I comprehend your well intent, it is not shared or grasped by many who seek to see the light here like raising the net to trap a floating fish -contexts not dissimilar but intentions same same.

Regarding those who seek to rip an opportunistic, turn mind back to the days of 5 cavemen and a net and few fishes in the water. Now reply me who wants tummy to be empty like drum to play music on?

til then, free lunches there always be but on one seems to proficient to finger them food?
    wahlao.. shakespeare be this like, ahbeng like me catch no light.

Profit drives the economy. Who would not try to squeeze an extra dollar out of every deal they put together?

Who would do anything for free? Unless you're talking charity or volunteer work. Would you organise a MO or bulk sale out of the goodwill with nothing in exchange? As you said yourself, willing buyer and willing seller, what's the issue? To alert the newbies? Oh, we better ring the warning bells.

This is typical behaviour. When you sell you want high price, but when you buy, you want everything the cheapest/free. We all want this. Then when you realise people are making a profit from you/others, maybe a sum you deem excessive, you complain.

This thread is pointless, except for people to realise that you really make no point and are just a tad self-righteous. Maybe profit and/or greed do not drive you, but it sure drives every economy and business I know of.

cuxiaowang,

Eehh...Sion, can not catch the drift man!, can repeat again? Did you use those on-line english translators to write this????

Hongkietongman

Quote Originally Posted by blimmer
    point taken but this thread has evolved beyond free lunches.
    doubt anyone is interested in that now
    There are free lunches! Pics for charity for example are sometimes done without pay, maybe only for material costs, and off course acknowledgment by putting the makers name is a must........other free lunches are available at the Buddhist monastries, and the Red Cross in some countries, and at the Salvation Army.....

Hongsien

I can't understand why it is wrong for someone to make money out of performing a service?

Profit is what drives the world. Without it I don't think anyone bothers to make an EOS or Nikon.

I salute anyone who could make some money in photography-related pursuits whether in weekend wedding or teaching photography or trading in photo equipments or organising model shoots or MO.

Profit is good.
    See what happened in communists countries, if people don't get incentives to work, they won't do their best......people need to get a bump in their ass

HS

Profit is good.
    Yes, just see what happened in communists countries, if people don't get incentives to work, they won't do their best......people need to get a bump in their ass

Communism is a nice utopia, but not realistic.....

HS

Hey! I finally managed to type in the word 'ass'.....:-)

lets try in capitals: ASS

HS

really dont understand why we talk so much on this topic...

if you believe ppl doing MO should not be rewarded, you can try to MO for us free of charge. see how much skill, labour, effort is needed to organise one.

what things the rest of brothers and sisters here wanna to MO? ask him. haha...

up til this point in time... i still have no idea what is the intention of this thread...
    and the intention of the thread starter...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~
    up til this point in time... i still have no idea what is the intention of this thread...
    and the intention of the thread starter...
    the thread starter is saying , "there are two kinds of ppl who organise MOs, the ones who give u a fair deal (samaritans) and those who rip u off (profiteers). let all buyers beware."
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    the thread starter is saying , "there are two kinds of ppl who organise MOs, the ones who give u a fair deal (samaritans) and those who rip u off (profiteers). let all buyers beware."
    Ahhh... now i see the light~
    why can't he just put it in your style zaren..
    think maybe he in school didn learn KISS (Keep It Short Simple)

so much mumbo jumbo power english... or i think its my eng that sux...

Deregistered

Actually KISS is Keep It Short, STUPID.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Actually KISS is Keep It Short, STUPID.
    nope, it is Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Hmm... think we have to know that the people are not just black and white. Lots of grey area... and nothing wrong with that.
    It's the way of the world.

One can be very helpful to organise MOs but still have abit of greed or 'small-heartedness' to want some money from it. Of course there are better people who will do it totally for free.

Some wanna feel abit entreprenueral.
    Some think they are smart
    We are all capable of these things.

Humans are silly little things compared to gods, most of the time anyway.
    Just appreciate all sorts of people as they colour our road to enlightenment/godliness.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast