Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: External flash?

  1. #1

    Default External flash?

    Hi all~

    just got myself a external flash as a gift...was wondering how I can use it properly is it better to have one for outdoor night pictures?

    Was reading up on some materials and I have a question, when I have cellings to bounce off indoors...how do I tilt the flash head when taking night shots outdoors? Do I direct it at the subject or tilt it slightly?

    Thanks in advance~

  2. #2

    Default

    For bounce flash, depending on the situation, you could either tilt the flash vertically towards the ceiling or at a slanted angle that allows the light to bounce off the ceiling and back onto the subjects. Its just geometry. Do a series of trials and get to know the characteristics of your flash.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    lucky you, your flash can also be used in the daytime as well.
    but first RTFM

  4. #4

    Default

    If you are using it for your digital camera, you can always do some test shots.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    Hi all~

    just got myself a external flash as a gift...was wondering how I can use it properly is it better to have one for outdoor night pictures?

    Was reading up on some materials and I have a question, when I have cellings to bounce off indoors...how do I tilt the flash head when taking night shots outdoors? Do I direct it at the subject or tilt it slightly?

    Thanks in advance~
    i confused... are you talking about using bounce flash "indoors" or taking night shots "outdoors"?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    i think you should first read teh basic on flash photography. Indoor shots are totally different from outdoor night shots.

  7. #7

    Default

    hmmm thanks for all the replies from the pros Think I was a little sick last night dun even know what I am talking about :bsmile:

    I tried the flash with indoor shots by bouncing up and all over hehehe looks great and yeah after a series of shots I found that some angles produce better shots naturally

    BUT my question here is how to use external flash for outdoor daytime or nighttime shots?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    BUT my question here is how to use external flash for outdoor daytime or nighttime shots?
    outdoor daytime - auto metering (P,A,S/Tv), flash direct and compensate -1 to fill-in flash


    night portrait - flash direct w/o compensate
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    BUT my question here is how to use external flash for outdoor daytime or nighttime shots?
    if you are talking about outdoor portraits,can try angle to 90 and use a flash card too, compensate flash too. =)

    for nighttime, usually would be using a slower shutter speed so that backgd and ambience lighting can be captured. it depends on what effect u are trying to achieve also.

  10. #10

    Default

    Thanks megaweb and Arcanic for the fabulous advice just what I need hehehe

    megaweb what is TV?

    arcanic when u say angle to 90 meaning turn the flash head to point upwards directly and use a flash card together? is the omnibounce useful here then?

    I always use the max aperture F8 and shutter at 30s for those great landscape/landmark pictures at night but doesn't work for potraits heheeh esp when u really wanna see the face

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    megaweb what is TV?
    Tv is shutter speed priority mode for Canon camera system only.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  12. #12

    Default

    oooohhhh I see megaweb thanks!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    Thanks megaweb and Arcanic for the fabulous advice just what I need hehehe

    megaweb what is TV?

    arcanic when u say angle to 90 meaning turn the flash head to point upwards directly and use a flash card together? is the omnibounce useful here then?
    hehe, u look me too up la, me not that pro.. =)

    yep, thats what i meant, point the flash upwards and use a bounce card, omnibounce isn't really useful for outdoor photography unless u are in an area where there are many reflective surfaces for ur light to omni bounce on. a bounce card would help better in bouncing the light to the direction you want.

    night protraits are much harder to control... try to make use of your surroundings though. =)

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    I always use the max aperture F8 and shutter at 30s for those great landscape/landmark pictures at night but doesn't work for potraits heheeh esp when u really wanna see the face
    I am using StroboFlip + the SC-17 Nikon cable.

    This helps "flip" your flash to upright position when shooting portrait position. The downside is that this thing is made of metal and can scratch your camera if not properly separated from it when inside the bag, and the SC-17 curly wire keeps dropping in front of the camera... otherwise, it works like landscape flash. Don't know if there are other product like it from different maker.

  15. #15

    Default

    arcanic: hahaha no worries you are the man hmmm looks like i have to get a bounce card now well most of the potrait pictures I wanna take at night at usually dimly lit even the surroundings have no idea why

    dawgbyte77: that looks heavy dun think I will bring that along while travelling

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    arcanic: hahaha no worries you are the man hmmm looks like i have to get a bounce card now well most of the potrait pictures I wanna take at night at usually dimly lit even the surroundings have no idea why

    dawgbyte77: that looks heavy dun think I will bring that along while travelling
    if its really really dark... u can either use direct flash (or if u dun like the harsh lighting), try using an offshoe cord then u can hand held the flash at one side and take a pic from the other, if will give u more flexi lighting and more fun... hehe

  17. #17

    Default

    hmmm was thinking of trying out direct flash and see if the lighting is too extreme...if its not too much for my liking I probably leave it at it is

  18. #18

    Default

    hi guys...went to check out TCW earlier on...they were suggesting that I get the Lumiquest Bounce Card if I needed a bounce card...

    Is it recommended?

    Dun really have experience with flash before except I had fun bouncing the flash in my room and my bro room last night It was interesting to see wat difference angles can do

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    hi guys...went to check out TCW earlier on...they were suggesting that I get the Lumiquest Bounce Card if I needed a bounce card...

    Is it recommended?

    Dun really have experience with flash before except I had fun bouncing the flash in my room and my bro room last night It was interesting to see wat difference angles can do

    I just made my bounce card using $3 velcro sticker from Fairprice, wrapped the velcro carton with leftover aluminum foil, and stick the half of velcro on it and the other half in my flash. I'll take a photo of it later... at least this is cheap. Got the idea from a fellow photog who use his mom's aluminum foil also.

  20. #20

    Default

    hmmm sounds great pal...maybe can share your making process if you are free of course

    I did a search on this topic but did not find much though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •