Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony a99 full-frame DSLR Review

Default Re: Sony a99 full-frame DSLR Review

Quote Originally Posted by lightrules View Post
    could you try shooting some mynah in flight?
    and tell us about tracking as well as the view finder against bright sky?

thanks
    The viewfinder against bright sky is no issue - since the viewfinder shows a liveview feed from the sensor, the picture will adjust it's exposure. No "blinding" like with an OVF.

As for tracking, this also depends greatly on the AF speed of the lens. I am currently comparing the 70-400G1 vs G2 on the A99 and can tell you the G2 is fast!
    Alpha

do you have the new 50mm Carl Zeiss? how is the AF Speed on the A99?

I am reading in Sony rumour that in early 2014, we will see a FF mirrorless in DSLR form, probably meaning the end of SLT cameras. Maybe someone who is tracking this rumour or familiar with the roadmap of Alpha cameras can chip in to clarify this. If it is indeed the end of the road for SLT cameras, then what is the value of getting the A99 now. We are 7 months away from 2014.

Of course all this not taking anything away from the excellent A99. Just that there seems to be a new roadmap.

source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/paten...or-and-design/
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 15th May 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I am reading in Sony rumour that in early 2014, we will see a FF mirrorless in DSLR form, probably meaning the end of SLT cameras. Maybe someone who is tracking this rumour or familiar with the roadmap of Alpha cameras can chip in to clarify this. If it is indeed the end of the road for SLT cameras, then what is the value of getting the A99 now. We are 7 months away from 2014.

Of course all this not taking anything away from the excellent A99. Just that there seems to be a new roadmap.

source: Patent: This could be the next A-mount mirrorless sensor and design! | sonyalpharumors
    If it is a rumor, how can anyone clarify on this?

Thanks for your contribution Rashkae. Much appreciated!

Kei1309 - No, I have the 35mm 1.4G, the Zeiss 85mm 1.4, the 100mm 2.8 and the Zeiss 135mm 1.8.

Thanks daredevil123 - Will just focus on the review.

When I told a good pal that I'm testing out some Bokeh Monsters with a new camera, he invited me to a fashion shoot. What transpired was a very nice meet up of old pals and meeting the astounding MUA and stylist friend after so long! A rep from OneFashion TV came to feature us and so were the Editors of an upcoming online magazine.

I'll put up some very quickly edited shots to show the camera's abilities and the lenses, and some heavily processed shots.

Incidentally, Janka suffered a deep gash on her foot the night before, rushed to hospital and was determined to do the shoot that afternoon! She hobbled all over on one foot and did a marvelous job! Not a single complaint and contributed to lightening up the mood of the entire shoot with her friendliness! Pure Determination and PROFESSIONALISM. I was honored to shoot her!

RockerBilly by Janka

Carl Zeiss 135mm 1.8 wide open. Heavily processed.

Carl Zeiss 135mm 1.8 wide open. Straight shot.

Carl Zeiss 135mm 1.8 wide open. Heavily processed.

BTW, she doesn't smoke, but gladly did it just for the shoot!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 16th May 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Looking as sweet and innocent as Audrey Hepburn!

I won't be posting till after the weekend as there's going to be a lot of work to do, and hopefully, some really exciting shots along the way!

STAY TUNED!

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 15th May 2013 at 10:00 PM.

saving up and maybe sell my A77 to buy A99... poisoned

Another nice addition to the a99 is the af-d mode and the af distance limiter
    Alpha

Blog Entries

Great pics DM!

Thanks for the compliment daredevil123!

AUDI FASHION FESTIVAL

Audi Fashion Festival Singapore

CS was invited to this year's Audi Fashion Festival through SONY, AFF's Official Digital Imaging Sponsor and it was quite an exciting affair to be at this prestigious fashion affair and to shoot from the Photographer's Pit, right in the middle of the runway where the optimal angles are.

The pit was packed (with photographers' cases and equipment bags taking up more than half the space!) and you really can't move, especially when the shows start. Hence, you'll find that each photographers shots are generally all taken from the same exact angle, including mine.

I tried both Aperture Auto settings and also finally settled on ISO 800 (for the most part) for the first show, and for the second shot, shot on Manual (ISO 800).

Immediate reactions of the a99 was that it focuses really fast, even with slower focusing lenses like the 135mm 1.8, which I used for the runway.

I used AF-C, AF-C/Subject tracking, and also AF-C/Subject tracking/Face-Smile Detection ON. In general, they all worked as intended but I suspect will perform better with more updated version 2 lenses. I think, also, that having all three switched on causes some confusion, and I have a few slightly OOF shots.

I had a few moments when both the shutter buttons on the camera and grip did not activate AF, and had to switch the cameras OFF/ON. I checked with other SONY users and found that they did not experience this, so I'm guessing the camera I'm holding might have some issues as it was possibly been through many hands.

The other thing was that at the end of one sequence of a few shots, if I lift my finger off the shutter button, the EVF goes blank. Again, I checked with another a99 user and found this to be an issue with just the cam I'm holding.

Other that those two issues which seemed to be tied-into the particular camera I have, the a99 performed very well! Am I happy to shoot runway fashion with it? The answer is YES!

Later on in the review, I'll show you small little things that make the a99 more of a pleasure to use!

Here's the photos -

RAOUL A/W 2013 featuring American Supermodel, Erin Heatherton

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 17th May 2013 at 05:40 PM.

LOL there were quite a few a99 shooters there! I'll post up some shots as well in a bit. Like you said, seems like everyone would get the same angle
    Alpha

Some BTS shots and some shots of the attendees.

More Raoul photos.

Desigual A/W 2013

Desigual (Spanish: [desiˈɣwal]) is a casual clothing brand based in Barcelona, Spain, which is noted for its patchwork designs, intense prints, innovative graffiti art and flamboyant splashes of colour. Founded in 1984 by Thomas Meyer, from Switzerland, the company has been led by Manel Adell since 2002, until 2013. Desigual sells men's, women's, children's clothing, accessories and women's shoes. It achieved a 60% annual growth from 2002 to 2009, and a turnover of 250 million in 2009, 440 million in 2010 and 560 million in 2011. In 2011 it employed 3,000 people of 72 nationalities. - Desigual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast