Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sensor burn due to long exposure

Deregistered

Default Re: Sensor burn due to long exposure

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    Keep the sun out of the frame

Keep the sun well out of the frame when shooting backlit subjects.
    Sunlight focused into the camera when the sun is in or close to the frame
    could cause a fire.

Nikon D4 User's Manual - Page xiii
    this is simple physics right?
    wonder why someone just could not understand it. LOLLL
    I remember i learnt this in primary school. LOLLLL

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    doubt there is. i've done time-lapse, video recording, 10 minute exposures into the sunset/sunrise, and so far, no issues with my cameras.
    sunset and sunrise are special case when the intensity is not as strong. You can look at the sun with naked eye during sunset and sunrise, enjoying the beautiful, colorful sky.
    But try looking into the sun during midday, and you will know why.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by NoS77 View Post
    I was wondering if using a longer focal length (like supertelephoto) to fill up the entire frame with only the sun will cause the sensor the burn up. (although this doesn't make sense composition wise, but just for discussion sake)

It's akin to using a magnifying glass and concentrating all the energy on 1 spot. A simple magnifying glass can cause dry leaves to start burning in seconds, so would our lens do something similar? Especially longer lens.

As for exposure time and amount, mirrorless cameras have their sensors exposed to light all the time. Thus I think the time for proper exposure would not be relevant for mirrorless cameras. DSLRs have the light reflected away when not exposing, so they should not encounter sensor burn issues as easily.
    As mentioned, it is simple physics. Do a simple experiment. Point the outer end of the tele towards a MID DAY sun, and hold a dry leaf at the other end, adjusting it till the sun image is in FOCUS. Then see what happen.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post

I continue to believe that it is possible for the scenario in the camera's user guide. for the very FACT that it is possible to start a fire using a magnifying glass.
    perfectly true. It is physics. Undeniable.
    But certain folks still cannot comprehend the difference in the power of a sunset sun and a mid day sun.
    You should challenge them to go and expose their beloved tele lens and sensors to mid day sun for 10mins. LOLLL

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    You can't even look into the viewfinder unless you want to get blind. So had to use live-view to compose the shot, the lens steps down to get the proper exposure for live-view.
    Thank goodness for EVFs.
    Alpha

Simple lor, just get a lens, mount it such a way the front element is directly looking at the sun, the rear element is focused onto some brown/black paper, and see if the intense rays converge onto the paper and start a fire, case closed.
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    perfectly true. It is physics. Undeniable.
    But certain folks still cannot comprehend the difference in the power of a sunset sun and a mid day sun.
    You should challenge them to go and expose their beloved tele lens and sensors to mid day sun for 10mins. LOLLL
    Eh.. usually I avoid confrontation.

I think it has been always advocated, in here at least, reading of the user manuals.
    I quoted from the user manual as information.
    I cited references to support the quoted information.
    I guess if that is useful for some, use it.

If as a newbie, there a user manual that is user-friendly, this would be a non-issue.

Strangely, I would like to see like Digital-Rev TV to do an episode on this. Like mount a 400 2.8 wide open on a cheap body, point straight into the mid-day sun and let it bulb exposure for a few minutes.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    Strangely, I would like to see like Digital-Rev TV to do an episode on this. Like mount a 400 2.8 wide open on a cheap body, point straight into the mid-day sun and let it bulb exposure for a few minutes.
    ya, ya, ya, that guy Kai.

Love to see him torched the canon body previously. Fun experiments.

maybe should send him an email to request.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234