Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 or Sigma 17-50 f2.8??

Default Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 or Sigma 17-50 f2.8??

Hello!
    Not sure if supposed to post this in this newbie corner

I'm looking to upgrade my kit lens, and I'm also going overseas soon during the holidays!!
    But I'm not sure what to get as my next lens. Either the tokina 11-16mm or sigma 17-50, both f2.8
    I know that if I get the tokina, I will still have to depend on my kit lens during the trip, but it is cheaper than the sigma
    As for the sigma, it'll be a good replacement for my kit lens.

In my head, I have a good feeling that I will get both in the end, but I don't know which one to get first, and I can't afford to get both at the same time.
    SO, PLEASE RECOMMEND!!! Thanks!

Default Re: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 or Sigma 17-50 f2.8??

If you have to choose only one lens, the 17-50 will make a good general purpose lens.

17-50...
    In the eyes of the beholder!

it is not a good ideal to get new lens for a special occasion, you need time to get familiar with the lens and bring out it best,

anyway, there is not much different of Sigma 17-50 with your current kit lens, in term of coverage of focal length. tho the image quality is better, but it still will not make your photo shine if you still having the same skills shooting the same way.

as for Tokina, tho will provide you a different coverage, but you are going for a HOLIDAY, alone or with somebody that we don't know, do you think you have to time to change lenses here and here, going around taking photos? if yes, than just go ahead and get what you want.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

17-50 if u only going to have one lens for a while. I own the 11-16 and I love it but the focal length is quite limited.

Everybody is saying sigma! That's a bit more reassuring.

@catchlights yeah, the thing is I want to upgrade my lens and it definitely won't be just for the trip, although it is a reason to upgrade now! I'm going with a group of friends and yeah, it would be more troublesome changing lens. And I'm quite sure that I can't be just dependent on the tokina as the main lens. But how can I possibly get a hold of this lens to try without buying it. I've seen most lens rental shops online and they don't seem to offer the sigma 17-50. So if you have an idea, it would be good!

yes, most camera/lens place don't have this Sigma lens, cos the Canon or Nikon 17-55 is so much better and very affordable on the rental price.

FYI, I owned Nikon 17-55 lens for many years and only sold it off a few months ago, I give 5 stars plus two thumbsup for this lens.
    Last edited by catchlights; 4th May 2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

one is a UWA lens, usually used for landscape.

the other is a zoom lens, usually used for usual stuff. i have both zoom ranges for very different uses.

go use the lenses and test first before buying at various camera shops. only then you can know what you need.

If it is only 1 lens, then the Sigma 17-50mm.

You can always stitch 2 images together, although the perspective would not be identical.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Thanks for all the input guys!

@catchlights I own a 550d so... yeah. But I definitely won't be able to spend on canon lenses and the 3rd party lens can be just as good without the crazy prices.

@allenleonhart tokina 11-16 is still quite a tempting lens, but since it's limited, I guess 17-50 is the way to go for now. Although I know 1 guy who says 11-16 has almost become his main lens.

@Blur Shadow yeah, good point.

So in the end, I'll most probably be going with the sigma 17-50.
    (But I found someone selling the tokina for 500 only!! Maybe another time.)

It depends a lot on your shooting style actually. If it's up to me I would choose the 11-16. I always shoot wide while I'm on holidays.

Ask yourself some questions.

When you are shooting with your kit lens...
    a) Do you find it not wide enough? If yes, get 11-16.
    b) Do you find that you need a bigger aperture for bokeh or low-light performance? If yes, get 17-50.

If both answers are yes, then it will depend on which comes up more often or is of a higher priority/importance to you.

Actually TS could go for the Tamron 17-50mm (which is much cheaper than the Sigma and almost as good)... and still get the 11-16mm (second hand ones).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually TS could go for the Tamron 17-50mm (which is much cheaper than the Sigma and almost as good)... and still get the 11-16mm (second hand ones).
    i was actually thinking about sigma as well. thanks for the heads-up about the tamron

I went for the 17-50 but mine is Tamron. I am still looking for a good excuse to buy the Tokina 11-16. So my vote is go for the 17-50 first.

Other than the 17-50mm... another good walkabout lens would be the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS, if one was not too particular about variable aperture. I have one and kind of love it... unless shooting landscape or needed the extra range, the 17-70mm never leave my Canon body. Of course I don't begin to believe that the 17-70mm is going to be sharper or faster than the 17-50mm... but hey... it is way cheaper (btw, mine is the older version. Not sure how much it will cost for the newer one).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Personally, the UWA is my main walkabout lens. But mine is Canon's 10-22 not Tokina 11-16, where I have a wee wee bit more reach.. If I need to swap lens, I will reach for my tele lens instead. I don't really mind missing the mid range 35-70 unless I'm covering some indoors (space constraint) events.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by shredderman93 View Post
    Hello!
    Not sure if supposed to post this in this newbie corner

I'm looking to upgrade my kit lens, and I'm also going overseas soon during the holidays!!
    But I'm not sure what to get as my next lens. Either the tokina 11-16mm or sigma 17-50, both f2.8
    I know that if I get the tokina, I will still have to depend on my kit lens during the trip, but it is cheaper than the sigma
    As for the sigma, it'll be a good replacement for my kit lens.

In my head, I have a good feeling that I will get both in the end, but I don't know which one to get first, and I can't afford to get both at the same time.
    SO, PLEASE RECOMMEND!!! Thanks!
    since you have a consideration of getting both lens in the future, i suggest you get first the tokina 11-16 since you have a kit lens it will compliment.
    for travel photography UWA lenses are essential since you wanted to capture in a wider frames like sceneries.

Would you have human subjects in your photos? Using the ultra wide will cause some distortions.

But since you already have a kit lens, having an ultra wide to complement it would be good.

Blog Entries

I think in the end, you should select the lens with the focal length range you use the most...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast