Thread: Sand in lens

Default Sand in lens

My dear wife brought the D30 and Sigma 24-70 f.28 to the playground to take pictures of the son on his school outing.

Somehow or other a grain of sand must have gotten itself stuck in the narrow space between the lens barrel and lens body.

Now there's a "skreeeeeeek" sound every time I zoom in or zoom out. There's also an obvious linear scratch on the lens barrel, caused by a foreign body, no doubt.

My question is: Is there a way to remove the grain of sand, or do I have to send it in for servicing? Or can I just ignore the problem and hope it goes away?

I'm honestly not too bothered (my equipment is all "user condition"), and my wife is more upset than me. It still takes great, sharp pictures. I've tried blowing, and zooming in and out rapidly a few times with the lens facing downwards, hoping the grain of sand drops out or something. The sound seems to have gotten softer.

Does anyone know where the screws are, to open a lens for servicing? This is probably not covered under the warranty, and I hate to pay for service if I can do it myself.

Default Re: Sand in lens

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    My dear wife brought the D30 and Sigma 24-70 f.28 to the playground to take pictures of the son on his school outing.

Somehow or other a grain of sand must have gotten itself stuck in the narrow space between the lens barrel and lens body.

Now there's a "skreeeeeeek" sound every time I zoom in or zoom out. There's also an obvious linear scratch on the lens barrel, caused by a foreign body, no doubt.

My question is: Is there a way to remove the grain of sand, or do I have to send it in for servicing? Or can I just ignore the problem and hope it goes away?

I'm honestly not too bothered (my equipment is all "user condition"), and my wife is more upset than me. It still takes great, sharp pictures. I've tried blowing, and zooming in and out rapidly a few times with the lens facing downwards, hoping the grain of sand drops out or something. The sound seems to have gotten softer.

Does anyone know where the screws are, to open a lens for servicing? This is probably not covered under the warranty, and I hate to pay for service if I can do it myself.
    DO NOT open the lens yourself, even if you have the tools to do so. Lenses are precision 'instruments', (more so if it's German) and you could get the elements out of alignment, etc.

Regards
    CK

i got hit by waves and sand in SF and my sigma 28-70 also got the skree sound, after a day or 2, it went away. Your case sounds more serious because its causing a scratch (which didn't happen on mine).

when photographing in such conditions, i'm glad its only a Sigma
    Last edited by erwinx; 31st August 2002 at 12:39 PM.

Problem solved. I inserted a thin piece of paper (a receipt I had in my pocket, actually) between the lens barrel and the body, and moved it in and out, with the lens facing downwards. I also zoomed in and out a few times, with the paper in between.

The scratch is still there, but no more sound.

By the way, nice shot!

sand particle also caught in me lens before. I was quite paranoid. But somehow after requently zoom in and zoom out, the sand just came out by itself.

Mine too. I have a shreeking sound when I turn my focus ring of my F707, have no idea how to solve it.