Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMRT reports Q4 net loss of S$11.9m

Default SMRT reports Q4 net loss of S$11.9m

Not surprising considered what had happen for the past year.....will fares be increased soon?

SMRT reports Q4 net loss of S$11.9m - Channel NewsAsia
    Last edited by snowc; 30th April 2013 at 07:14 PM.

Default Re: SMRT reports Q4 net loss of S$11.9m

What do you think?

In addition they have to do 1 year trial of free travel before certain time.

The cost has to be passed to some one else. That means you.

A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless. It is in a position to charge you more if it says it is losing money.

You do not have a choice. There is no competitor to measure it against.

For example, a monopoly can (theoretically) pay its CEO US$100 million per year with golden handshake clause of US$500 Million; and then declare that it is "losing" money and thus have to charge consumers more.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    What do you think?

A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless. It is in a position to charge you more if it says it is losing money.

You do not have a choice. There is no competitor to measure it against.

For example, a monopoly can (theoretically) pay its CEO US$100 million per year with golden handshake clause of US$500 Million; and then declare that it is "losing" money and thus have to charge consumers more.
    SMRT is a private firm... not a public, government-owned one.

let us know if you're paying a higher income-tax rate this year.

Do you read the news?

The trial is funded by government. I get the sense that you're talking about public transport consumers here (especially since you proceed on a spiel about "charging you more"), when it should be taxpayers.

If A already has to help B with $1.1 Billion.
    Then A says it absorbs trial cost of something else.
    After that, A has less to "help" B with in future. Which means in future B has to raise the money in other ways. Just a round-about-calc.

If A already has to help B with $1.1 Billion.
    Then A says it absorbs trial cost of something else.
    After that, A has less to "help" B with in future. Which means in future B has to raise the money in other ways. Just a round-about-calc.
    That's indeed very round-about.

FYI, the trial cost is estimated to cost $10 million. Maybe you might take that into consideration and actually compare this to the $1.1 billion.

you know... i thought i found it familiar that people were complaining that the government should absorb SMRT back and and use the tax payer monies for something useful....

yea....

Blog Entries

LTA regulates SMRT and SBSTransit and taxi companies ..... SMRT does not have the authority to adjust fares as they like

For goodness sake, when folks make an effort to be forthright and transparent to the public , stop jumping into all these conspiracy theories

"A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless"

monopoly or not, its a publicly listed company, it answers to its shareholders so it needs to report its financials

S53.SI: Summary for SMRT- Yahoo! Singapore Finance

very cheap imho .... why not buy and OWN this monopoly ? Then u can go to their AGM, enjoy a good buffet and you have every right to rail at them as a shareholder to keep fares low or reduce them ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 30th April 2013 at 11:36 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Public Transport Council - Annual Fare Review Process

go do some reading on the Public Transport Council website

They have also got a chronology or timeline of increases, fare adjustment formula (sorry, its not tikam or suka suka) including ticket/fare rebates back to the public (OMG) over the years
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    LTA regulates SMRT and SBSTransit and taxi companies ..... SMRT does not have the authority to adjust fares as they like

For goodness sake, when folks make an effort to be forthright and transparent to the public , stop jumping into all these conspiracy theories

"A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless"

monopoly or not, its a publicly listed company, it answers to its shareholders so it needs to report its financials

S53.SI: Summary for SMRT- Yahoo! Singapore Finance

very cheap imho .... why not buy and OWN this monopoly ? Then u can go to their AGM, enjoy a good buffet and you have every right to rail at them as a shareholder to keep fares low or reduce them ?
    i think if you are shareholder of SMRT, you will want them to raise fares and make more profits so you will get more capital gains + possibility of higher dividends payout.

bearish break of key $1.50 support today on high volume. price is still in long term downtrend. i think there is still further downside to price and i will wait for reversal signals before entering.

just my 2 cents view on SMRT

Reminds me of recent safra membership benefits.. gives everyone a one year free membership.. capture this as x million expenses so that this amount gets write off..
    Somemore some people don't use it.. ..

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

Yes indeed. My ex-colleague bought 100 lots at $1 years ago. He is collecting dividend year after year on top of that paper gain on price appreciation.

It is a duopoly company.

As for fare hike or not, there are procedures in place. However, many perceived them as a wayang show put up by the government.

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    i think if you are shareholder of SMRT, you will want them to raise fares and make more profits so you will get more capital gains + possibility of higher dividends payout.

bearish break of key $1.50 support today on high volume. price is still in long term downtrend. i think there is still further downside to price and i will wait for reversal signals before entering.

just my 2 cents view on SMRT
    Personally, i'm thinking about that too. Waiting to see if the price will drop further before entering.

On a separate note, I observed that SMRT is too focused on the local market. Unlike its counterpart ComfortDelGro which is venturing overseas from UK to China.

Que sera, sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours, to see. Que sera, sera.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 1st May 2013 at 01:44 AM.

creative accounting at its best.
    Heng i buy Sbs instead.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post
    Not surprising considered what had happen for the past year.....will fares be increased soon?

SMRT reports Q4 net loss of S$11.9m - Channel NewsAsia
    Must get Saw Phaik Hwa back so that our SMRT will make money again.
    Last edited by Sion; 1st May 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

Must get Saw Phaik Hwa back so that our SMRT wil make money again.
    OMG! Noooooooooo.....!!!!!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Must get Saw Phaik Hwa back so that our SMRT will make money again.
    You mean,
    So Pai Kwa (very ugly)?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    You mean,
    So Pai Kwa (very ugly)?

Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post

Personally, i'm thinking about that too. Waiting to see if the price will drop further before entering.

On a separate note, I observed that SMRT is too focused on the local market. Unlike its counterpart ComfortDelGro which is venturing overseas from UK to China.
    They can't even resolve the breakdowns and mis-management, they dare to think abt venturing overseas? My toes are laughing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast