Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it true that Primary school kids now.....

I miss chalk

Brings back fond memories of my primary / secondary school days... (paper bullets laden with chalk powder! ) ... one shot ... you're marked

Please tell me this isn't true. No more sweeping / spring cleaning of classrooms? I was told by teachers in the past and i quote "Here... you don't have your maids or moms to do the cleaning for you ... you have to do it yourselves. This is your classroom.. yada yada yada .. " .... and now ....

i used to volunteer to clean the blackboard in pri school with TWO dusters.. hehe.. then.. hahah duster dirty.. HOW? hhaah whack the 2 dusters together and bring the PSI in the classroom to WAY beyond unhealthy levels..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Not forgetting that pushing the chalk powder on da blackboard still and accumulating a large quantity and dropping da duster will produce similar effect. Except its the front row and teachers who will kena.

I can still remember those flying chalks & chalk dusters when i was in primary school, and punishment for failing "spellings" will be 2X wooden rulers tied together and a strike on the palm.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    They did away with blackboard, duster and chalk several years ago as 'it might be unhealthy for the students'. (I think many of us survived chalk, duster & blackboard and we're still alive).

Nowadays, we see all kindsa weird complaints parents have against teachers.

Chalk is indeed unhealthy, for the Teachers. I've had seen many coughing away, and still turn up to teach, and see the chalk dust make the coughing worse...

Of course, it is only some irritation, unlikely to cause chronic diseases many years down the road. (no one knows).

Whiteboard markers isn't very 'healthy' too. The 'thinner-like' smell from them, esp from fresh markers may 'intoxicate' the teachers, or students? IMO, this is neglible. Whiteboard IS a marked improvement from chalk. In your offices/meetings, no one is using chalk....I hope?hehe

The future could be using tablets for everyone, teacher just write on tablet, project onto screen, thats it. (it could be happening in some schools already).

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus
    The future could be using tablets for everyone, teacher just write on tablet, project onto screen, thats it. (it could be happening in some schools already).
    wah..then have to beware of EMF emission lah...

I do collective responsibility with my pupils. Everybody is on duty every single day and each person has a specific task they have to do. Basic rationale, if everyone does their bit, the class will be just as clean with less work done by any individual pupil.

IIRC, higly advanced and reputable instituitions are still using chalks few years ago (dunno about now).. Names like Harvard and Thames..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

IMHO.... Singapore parents has being pampering too much aready... every small little things compiain, kids will never grow up that way, too much complain and kids are getting weaker and weaker...

Heard from a friend who just went in to BMT last year, a parent of his bunk mate went to Mindef and complain the instructor... reason?

coz the sgt ask the recruits to run with the rifle sling to his back... and the rifle batt can hit his son's head when running.... and it is evening time , not under a hot sun... ...
    perhaps, one day someone will complain that a rifle will be too dangerous for his son and want the army to stop using rifle..

Can't stand the parents nowadays...

but then... in the view of the parents... bo bian... raising a child might be too hard so they want the best for their childs...
    Last edited by mobby; 11th April 2005 at 01:00 PM.

Times are a changing lah.

In school, I used to dust boards, sweep floor etc. For punishment, I get sent out of class, caned with a feather duster, stand on top of the desk etc. Even had a book thrown in my face. As a result, I hated some of my teachers.

In NS, I kanna knocked in the head with a helmut, do push ups starting from "-50", duck walk all over parade square etc. As a result, I hated my PTIs.

I think I turned out okay. But I do not think it would be necessary for my kid to go through it just to turn out like me.

This ain't happening to just Singapore kids, the Chinese and their One-Child kids are just the same, if not 'worse'.

Duty Roster ? using basic daily tools like brooms or dust pans to clean their class roooms.......?

I would predict some reaction from the parents.

Parent A : "Are u kidding ? We are now schooling in 21st Century..."

Parent B : " Didn't we had paid the school fees that would be good enough for the school to employ cleaning staff ?"

Parent C : "Ok..ok..I understand they should learn some basic household skill..but u see..my son is allergic to dust..His lung is weak. This is the note by Dr.XXX.. Can we get him to be exempted from the roster ?

Parent D : "If the duty falls on my son, can we get our maid to help him out ?"

Parent E : "Isn't that these job for those foreign workers ? "

Parent F : " They should have spent that time working on additional work rather than cleaning."

Parent G : "I dun mind for my son to go on the duty. But using broom would result a lot of dust being sucked in. Can the school provide vaccum cleaner ? May be Osim Cleaner da best...."

And I would foresee that eventually the issue is escalated to a higher level...and all the way to the Parliament. The debate will go on for 4 weeks..and the result will be made after serious consideration of All aspect of the parties involved.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 11th April 2005 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    Duty Roster ? using basic daily tools like brooms or dust pans to clean their class roooms.......?

Parent A : "Are u kidding ? We are now schooling in 21st ..."

Parent B : " Did not we had paid the school fees that would be good enough for the school to employ cleaning staff ?"

Parent C : "Ok..ok..I understand they should learn some basic household skill..but u see..my sons is allergic to dust..His lung is weak. This is the noted by Dr.XXX.. Can I get him to be exempted from the roster ?

Parent D : "If the duty falles on my son, can we get our maid to help him out ?"

Parent E : "Is not that the job for those foreign labor ? "

Parent F : " They should have spent that time working on additional work rather than cleaning."

Parent G : "I dun mind for my son to go on the duty. But using broom would result a lot of dust being sucked in. Can the school provide vaccum cleaner ? May be Osim Cleaner da best...."

And I would foresee that eventually the issue is escalated to a higher level...and all the way to the Parliament. The debate will go on for 4 weeks..and the result will be made after serious consideration of All aspect of the parties involved.
    hahaha... Chao Keng right? Never mind, u see dat tree at the end of the school? Go and run touch it and come back. U have... 10secs.

[student fails to touch and return within 10secs]

Ok, knock it down. -20, -19, -18, -17... Wad? Cannot do ur pushup properly right? Like to ***** da ground right? Never mind, start frm -20....

[after several counts of -20]

u see da tree over at the end of the school? Touch it and come back... you have... 9secs...

[student fails to reach da time again]

Never mind... Sit up position change, pushup position change, crunches position change, change-change-change-change-change...

[and so on, and so on]

hehehehe....

Default Hahahaha......you made my day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se

Parent A : "Are u kidding ? We are now schooling in 21st ..."

Parent B : " Did not we had paid the school fees that would be good enough for the school to employ cleaning staff ?"

Parent C : "Ok..ok..I understand they should learn some basic household skill..but u see..my sons is allergic to dust..His lung is weak. This is the noted by Dr.XXX.. Can I get him to be exempted from the roster ?

Parent D : "If the duty falles on my son, can we get our maid to help him out ?"

Parent E : "Is not that the job for those foreign labor ? "

Imagine this gets to MOE.....wah lau eh....!!!!oso New paper potential!!!!!!

Funny man!!!!!! i think its a reality thingy......its happening....

Oh....also i think some schools have cleaning staff to clean the class rooms......school oso got maid

rgds,
    sulhan

Hasn't anyone here in SG thought of using wet sponge to clean the blackboards? Alot less dust, need to wait a few mins to dry, can be overcome by washing one side and writing on other side, then when wet side is dry, can start from there while cleaning the older part, this is what my teachers always did.......>23 years ago......

HS

Cleaning the school/room by the students also let them remind that someone has to clean it up, and it could be themselves.........kind of a feedback mechanism.....

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Cleaning the school/room by the students also let them remind that someone has to clean it up, and it could be themselves.........kind of a feedback mechanism.....
    the parents might ask..since the idea is to let the student to learn that they have a duty to play in order to keep the classroom clean...why not we should just practice that when the duty roster falls on my son...I will let my son to give instruction to the maid to do the job ? (provided that maid is allowed to come in to help).

Lots of kids now dun even know how to make a cup of milo....how to expect them to clean the window....use brooms to clean the floor and etc...(that is not joystick , u know ?)

Hasn't anyone here in SG thought of using wet sponge to clean the blackboards? Alot less dust, need to wait a few mins to dry, can be overcome by washing one side and writing on other side, then when wet side is dry, can start from there while cleaning the older part, this is what my teachers always did.......>23 years ago......
    This was exactly what we did in school..that was also 20years ago...And it is still the same way both teacher/students cleaning the balck paper nowadays.
    Btw...I did not attend school in SG.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 11th April 2005 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    hahaha... Chao Keng right? Never mind, u see dat tree at the end of the school? Go and run touch it and come back. U have... 10secs.

[student fails to touch and return within 10secs]

Ok, knock it down. -20, -19, -18, -17... Wad? Cannot do ur pushup properly right? Like to ***** da ground right? Never mind, start frm -20....

[after several counts of -20]

u see da tree over at the end of the school? Touch it and come back... you have... 9secs...

[student fails to reach da time again]

Never mind... Sit up position change, pushup position change, crunches position change, change-change-change-change-change...

[and so on, and so on]

hehehehe....
    Wah!! felt like I was back at BMT man!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12