Isn't it fulfilling to have acquired all the photography skills and equipment knowledge through trial and error, hardwork and enthusiastic volunteering at friends' and company functions?
Wouldn't you like to test and polish your skills in *teaching* what you've learned, to others who are less fortunate and unwell?
If you have a heart for elderly folks, you'll also know it's not easy to teach them complex skills like photography.
But what if... the elderly folk also have very short memory spans, short attention spans, but benefit greatly when they succeed in shooting some visually satisfying photos on their own? This group of elderly is probably the hardest to teach!
The place that I work in, is a non-profit organisation that provides daycare for dementia elderly. We have received keen requests by caregivers to conduct a 6-session (every wednesday morning) course over 6 weeks. We have a volunteer professional photographer already signed up for this pilot photography course, but it is useful to have more volunteer amateur shutterbugs who can understudy him and then, be able to conduct subsequent batches of the program.
1) Somehow you must be free on Wed mornings from 22 May to 26 June 2013.
2) *MUST* be able to speak confidently in Chinese or Malay or dialects to teach the elderly
3) Keen interest to teach, learn to teach the elderly, and/or learn about dementia
4) Previous volunteering experience or passion would be a big plus
5) Interested to learn some of the above skills from a seasoned professional photographer
6) Understand that your services are pro bono but the organiser will provide refreshments and meals
7) Understand that all equipment for the course are basic and provided by the organisers
Many of the later parts of the course will involve site photography at Botanical Gardens, Chinatown, the Zoo. Other sessions will be held at Sin Ming Lane in a professional studio.
If anyone here is keen to learn to teach, and teach to learn, from the most difficult-to-teach group of elderly people (who pre-qualify by showing an interest in photography), please contact me and I'll provide further details.
Thanks for reading this appeal for volunteers!