Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Do check-in your camera?

  1. #21
    Last edited by steventay; 29th April 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  2. #22

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Don't bring your 5D... get a cheap and small compact. Then you can wrap your cam with your clothes and check in your cam... most probably no problem

    Anyway... I never check in my DSLR and laptop, I prefer to carry it with me, I got myself a good bag that can put both items in so no problem... but don't ever check in your laptop (with or without your harddisk - although frankly I don't know how you dismantle the harddisk from the computer) bcos harddisk is not the only fragile thing in your laptop - not forgetting your very very large LCD.
    i have no issues... take out my harddisk and check in everytime.

    place the laptop in between yr clothes.
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  3. #23

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    I learn the hard way not to check in any valuabe items in my luggage.
    Not because they are fragile and might be damaged during the handling but because of theft by the SATS luggage handlers inside Changi Airport. Theft by luggage handlers is quite rampant in Changi Airport. Every once in a while, the airport security would catch some and we would read about it in the newspapers.

    I checked in my $450 Metz flash during a holiday 1.5 yrs ago only to find upon arrival at the hotel that I had lost the flash and another expensive item from my luggage. I was silly enough to use a lugguage with TSA locks which makes it easy for those thieving handlers inside Changi Airport to open my luggage with their illegally obtained master keys and take out items without having to break the locks.

    The other mistake we made was to check in early which gave those thieves more time to steal things from our luggage. My friend who had used a normal luggage without TSA locks but with additional padlocks found that there was an additional unknown padlock added to his luggage. Obviously the thieves were frustrated that they could not open his luggage easily and decided to pass on their frustration by making it difficult for him to open his luggage later on.

    So the lessons learned from this experience were:
    When departing from Changi Airport,
    1. Never use TSA locked luggage if not travelling to the US or Japan
    2. Never put camera gears or expensive items inside the check-in luggage
    3. Pay for the cellophane wrapping service at the airport to wrap up the check-in luggage if have to check in any valuable items in the luggage

  4. #24

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I learn the hard way not to check in any valuabe items in my luggage.
    Not because they are fragile and might be damaged during the handling but because of theft by the SATS luggage handlers inside Changi Airport. Theft by luggage handlers is quite rampant in Changi Airport. Every once in a while, the airport security would catch some and we would read about it in the newspapers.

    I checked in my $450 Metz flash during a holiday 1.5 yrs ago only to find upon arrival at the hotel that I had lost the flash and another expensive item from my luggage. I was silly enough to use a lugguage with TSA locks which makes it easy for those thieving handlers inside Changi Airport to open my luggage with their illegally obtained master keys and take out items without having to break the locks.

    The other mistake we made was to check in early which gave those thieves more time to steal things from our luggage. My friend who had used a normal luggage without TSA locks but with additional padlocks found that there was an additional unknown padlock added to his luggage. Obviously the thieves were frustrated that they could not open his luggage easily and decided to pass on their frustration by making it difficult for him to open his luggage later on.

    So the lessons learned from this experience were:
    When departing from Changi Airport,
    1. Never use TSA locked luggage if not travelling to the US or Japan
    2. Never put camera gears or expensive items inside the check-in luggage
    3. Pay for the cellophane wrapping service at the airport to wrap up the check-in luggage if have to check in any valuable items in the luggage

    use TSA locked luggage without using the lock and use padlock...
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  5. #25

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by steventay View Post
    use TSA locked luggage without using the lock and use padlock...
    Since the TSA lock is built-in, what you mean is that if using TSA locked luggage, we should padlock it with a non-TSA padlock.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    .....because of theft by the SATS luggage handlers inside Changi Airport. Theft by luggage handlers is quite rampant in Changi Airport. Every once in a while, the airport security would catch some and we would read about it in the newspapers.

    I checked in my $450 Metz flash during a holiday 1.5 yrs ago only to find upon arrival at the hotel that I had lost the flash and another expensive item from my luggage........................
    If theft by the SATS luggage handlers inside Changi Airport is a known common problem; the police or even SATS management should do many sting operations spread throughout the year. Valuables planted with built-in transponders or microchips that send signals - to trace the thieves or with high resolution hidden CCTVs of the luggage handling areas.

    And after the thieves are arrested and charged, don't give so light a sentence that it practically ensures others will repeat the crime.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 29th April 2013 at 09:38 PM.

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    And make sure you are not using luggage that use zippers... It can be easily opened with a pen...


  8. #28
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,106

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I learn the hard way not to check in any valuabe items in my luggage.
    Not because they are fragile and might be damaged during the handling but because of theft by the SATS luggage handlers inside Changi Airport. Theft by luggage handlers is quite rampant in Changi Airport. Every once in a while, the airport security would catch some and we would read about it in the newspapers.

    I checked in my $450 Metz flash during a holiday 1.5 yrs ago only to find upon arrival at the hotel that I had lost the flash and another expensive item from my luggage. I was silly enough to use a lugguage with TSA locks which makes it easy for those thieving handlers inside Changi Airport to open my luggage with their illegally obtained master keys and take out items without having to break the locks.

    The other mistake we made was to check in early which gave those thieves more time to steal things from our luggage. My friend who had used a normal luggage without TSA locks but with additional padlocks found that there was an additional unknown padlock added to his luggage. Obviously the thieves were frustrated that they could not open his luggage easily and decided to pass on their frustration by making it difficult for him to open his luggage later on.

    So the lessons learned from this experience were:
    When departing from Changi Airport,
    1. Never use TSA locked luggage if not travelling to the US or Japan
    2. Never put camera gears or expensive items inside the check-in luggage
    3. Pay for the cellophane wrapping service at the airport to wrap up the check-in luggage if have to check in any valuable items in the luggage
    Summary = Use Common Sense.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Since the TSA lock is built-in, what you mean is that if using TSA locked luggage, we should padlock it with a non-TSA padlock.
    i mean don't use the tsalock, just padlock to lock it.
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  10. #30

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    And make sure you are not using luggage that use zippers... It can be easily opened with a pen...

    oh no, this is bad...
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  11. #31
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Aiya... come on lah. Anything that you find really valuable, either don't bring overseas, and if really need to, keep them near you. That is the common sense thing to do... don't really care if you pad lock your luggage or TSA lock your luggage or whatever, it can still be open (even with your Pad lock). And frankly... what I never do is,

    1) Check in my camera
    2) Check in my laptop (with or without harddisk - common sense, I don't use a screw driver to open my lap top casing, then pull out the harddisk, that is SOOOO troublesome, might as well just get a good laptop bag, put the laptop in and carry it with you).
    3) Put expensive jewellery in my check in bags.

    actually I only check in items such as my clothings, toiletry and the such.


    I even keep 1 or 2 pairs of cloths in my carry on bags just in case. Call me kiasu, but I find it safer that way.

    Also, since we are already in this topic, might as well caution those who want to read this old man's experience,

    1) Even in carry on luggage, make sure you do a marking for it - in case anyone deliberately or not deliberately took the wrong bag from your overhead compartment.

    2) When you relax, make sure you keep a lookout for your stuff... read it in newspaper (or was it online) that some one was actually kind of being robbed when in the plane. The culprit simply walk up to an unsuspecting passenger (lets call him Passenger A), open the overhead compartment and took out that passenger A's baggage. then went back to his seat. Passenger A was pretty lucky that someone suspected something wrong when he saw the culprit rampaging through that passenger A's bag and notify the air stewardess... or passenger A would have lost everything valuable in that bag.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  12. #32
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,890

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    A related question - do you put your wallet n credit cards in your check in luggage ? Have you considered seperating the lens from the body, placing each in some kinda lightly padded bag and carrying this with lap top in a bigger laptop bag ? Actual given the tight time frames in business travel today I'd be surprise u have time to shoot. Most companies do not allow for extra days even at your cost for hotel N expenses if you are an employee.
    never. i only bring max 2 credit cards with me and they stay with me. wallet stays with me though i do split my cash between my wallet and my backpack.

    weight being the reason is why I started straight with MFTs when moving up from P n S. I'm really not as strong like some bros here with the FF DSLRs and lenses. I even find my OMD with 12-35mm heavy at times. (yeah, I'm a wimp =.= ) but i really can't imagine lugging around kilos of equip when travelling.

  13. #33
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,890

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    add on to this.. being the kiasi singaporean, I always bring along a photocopy of my passport and store it separately from my passport, haha.

    one never knows when u might lose the passport and need to prove your identity at the local embassy etc.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    woh you are super good...
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  15. #35

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    never. i only bring max 2 credit cards with me and they stay with me. wallet stays with me though i do split my cash between my wallet and my backpack.

    weight being the reason is why I started straight with MFTs when moving up from P n S. I'm really not as strong like some bros here with the FF DSLRs and lenses. I even find my OMD with 12-35mm heavy at times. (yeah, I'm a wimp =.= ) but i really can't imagine lugging around kilos of equip when travelling.
    get Sony RX100
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  16. #36
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    I think in the end, it is all about taking precautions. I have friends who had their money in handcarry backpacks stolen during flights etc. So when on flights try not to sleep unless you know your handcarry is secure. Someone can just pretend to get something from their own bag in the overhead compartment, while what they are actually doing is opening someone else's bag.

    If I can, I always try to put the bag under the seat infront of me. If in overhead compartment, make it harder for any thief to open your bag. It can be as simple as putting in your bag with the zippers facing into the overhead compartments, or adding small padlock. Remember this is not check in luggage, which means any thief will have to a lot more careful due to the many people in the plane.

    Other things to think about, is when you leave your luggage in hotels. In some places, hotel staff have been known to steal stuff from rooms as well. You can take precautions like using the hotel safe (some can be opened by staff as well), or locking some of your stuff into your big luggage. I like hardshell luggages, because they last a long time, good to hold stuff like tripods when checked in, and in hotels, I can lock my entire handcarry bag into the luggage including the laptop, while I put on my smaller city bag or belt system. As long as the expensive stuff is out of sight, it is 80% safer. Leaving stuff in plain view is just creating temptation for dishonest eyes.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    dont check in,

    airport ground crews always throw baggage around. if baggage is lost, even worse.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Was at USA 2011. My netbook with me all the while until one day, I decided to place it into luggage bag and then, into the compartment of the bus. When I use my netbook that night, got problem liao. Luckily still can use for transferring and I also got my external mouse. But for my tripod, I also check in with luggage. Too troublesome to bring onboard, just tighten it up as much as I can.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Do check-in your camera?

    Sorry for asking.

    For those who went overseas with tripod, do you guys check in the tripod with the luggage or carry on?

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Erm I really cant understnd why people wanna check in valuable items, is it so difficult to bring up plane?

    And even on plane, usually if possible just place below seat, and even then use feet/leg to hook one of the strap.

    Basically 'expect' your luggage to be opened and only place what you can afford to lose into checkin.

    Place at least an underwear,shorts in carryon in case luggage lost/delayed, can change feel better..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •