Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Wallet in Food Court

Blog Entries

Default Lost Wallet in Food Court

COMMENT: Lost wallet incident renews my faith in S

From the contributor ...

"Say what you will but, sometimes, I feel truly grateful about living in Singapore.

I was at Gourmet Paradise at HDB Hub in Toa Payoh for dinner on Monday night. My dinner companion and I got there at about 8pm. We had a quick dinner because we needed to do some housework before bedtime. We left the food court at about 845pm and I did not realise then that I had left my wallet behind on the table.

It was only at 9am the next day when I was on my way to work that I discovered that my wallet was missing and I could not take the train to work because my EZ-link card was in there. I retraced my steps and remembered that the last time I saw my wallet was after I paid for dinner.

I walked back to the food court on a gamble. First, I approached the cleaners there and asked them if they saw a black wallet on the table where I last sat. They immediately informed the management office and directed me there. They told me that even if I did not get it back, there were CCTV cameras all over the food court and there might be footage of the person who could have picked it up.

When I got to the office, there was a polite girl from China who was managing the counter. She directed me to a chair and asked me to sit down. She asked me several questions about the colour and the make of my wallet and then took out my wallet from a file cabinet. She then took my NRIC and asked me a couple of questions about the wallet to verify that I was indeed the owner of the wallet.

When I got my wallet back, I was so relieved.

Everything was intact, all my credit cards, EZ-link card and reward cards, including the paltry S$12 that I had inside.

I wanted to give all the money I had in the wallet as a reward, but the girl refused to accept it and she even declined to tell me which cleaner at the food court had retrieved it and turned it to the admin office.

I just feel so lucky to get my wallet back and am grateful to discover that there are indeed honest people in Singapore.

I also checked my bank accounts online afterwards and no illegal online purchase were made on my cards.

I know all is not well in Singapore and we are far from being perfect. But it is incidents like these that renews my faith in humanity and make me thankful for living on this tiny red dot."
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Default Re: Lost Wallet in Food Court

i wonder why a special mention of the nationality of the staff was made. agenda, anyone?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    i wonder why a special mention of the nationality of the staff was made. agenda, anyone?
    must there be a conspiracy behind everything?

so when it is hidden, everyone suspects a Chinese National. when a good thing happens, it must be a Local.

do the math and you'll know why they're mentioning nationalities now

I support TS in sharing his/her experience here and also stating the nationality. We should spread the good deeds of our service providers and with so many negative comments on FT, we should also understand we 'cannot use a single broom to sweep all' under the same category.

Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

oh above is SOMEONE else's experience..... I just cut and paste to share ha ha
    Walkeast

$12 in the wallet. I wonder if the same will happen if the amount is $120 or $1200?

Anyone wants to test?

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    $12 in the wallet. I wonder if the same will happen if the amount is $120 or $1200?

Anyone wants to test?
    I would, but in Japan. Not here.
    Tried with a laptop, and survived. I have confidence to try it with a wallet with $.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Blog Entries

Japan does not surprise me.... just December last year, I left 200,000+yen on the table top in my hotel room in Osaka by accident ..... called frantically to hotel 3 hours later after I realized I left the money behind and forgot to lock my safety box somemore ..... too late, housekeeping already passed the money and whatever was in safety box (passport and laptop) to front desk for safekeeping until I got back
    Walkeast

...was in Japan..

Saw many items.. I saw...sd cards, umbrella, bags, wallets .. left around on train seat

Nobody seemed to bother!

I was told that the cleaner will pick them up and handover to the Loss & Found Dept

How about u write in for her great customer service so she can be recognize & rewarded by her performance

Quote Originally Posted by Amazing lighting View Post
    How about u write in for her great customer service so she can be recognize & rewarded by her performance
    How about you read the post properly?
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

Japan's culture is very different.

My bro-in-law, who is SUPER forgetful, even left his iPad on top of the train ticketing machine in busy Akihabara station.
    We ran back to retrieve it 15 minutes later, and it was still there!
    He also once left his very important portfolio in Narita airport, and still managed to get it back 2 days later.
    Back in Singapore, he left his phone on the bus, and 5 minutes later the SIM card was already removed by whoever found it..

But back on topic, does it matter what nationality the people are? It's good to see honesty and human kindness at work.

Don't tar all China nationals (or Filipinos) in 1 stroke of the brush. Many are good, decent individuals here simply to earn a living and make a better life for themselves and their families.
    If there's any hatred, it should be towards the policies helping them to come here so easily, not towards the people who took advantage of these policies.
    Last edited by silencer13; 25th April 2013 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post

Anyone wants to test?
    No need so much. My 6th months old sandal, teva, cost $89 also got stolen yesterday as I place it outside the house! My faith in local gone.....
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post

No need so much. My 6th months old sandal, teva, cost $89 also got stolen yesterday as I place it outside the house! My faith in local gone.....
    OMG similar incident happened to me. Two bicycles LOCKED UP IN CHAINS suddenly disappeared one morning too. Sighs. Nevertheless I still believe there are kind ppl in SG too

Quote Originally Posted by silencer13 View Post
    Don't tar all China nationals (or Filipinos) in 1 stroke of the brush. Many are good, decent individuals here simply to earn a living and make a better life for themselves and their families.
    If there's any hatred, it should be towards the policies helping them to come here so easily, not towards the people who took advantage of these policies.
    Yes totally agree! I don't know where all these stereotypes come from!

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    OMG similar incident happened to me. Two bicycles LOCKED UP IN CHAINS suddenly disappeared one morning too. Sighs. Nevertheless I still believe there are kind ppl in SG too
    The lifts in my block got CCTV. If I am lucky enough to encounter a stupid thief, he will be arrested, provide the police (as I log a case due to 2nd time stolen!) will watch the video footage but slim chance....
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

The lifts in my block got CCTV. If I am lucky enough to encounter a stupid thief, he will be arrested, provide the police (as I log a case due to 2nd time stolen!) will watch the video footage but slim chance....
    Lucky. Mine don't even have any CCTV anywhere. 2 Bicycles just flew away with wings

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Japan does not surprise me.... just December last year, I left 200,000+yen on the table top in my hotel room in Osaka by accident ..... called frantically to hotel 3 hours later after I realized I left the money behind and forgot to lock my safety box somemore ..... too late, housekeeping already passed the money and whatever was in safety box (passport and laptop) to front desk for safekeeping until I got back
    Someone shared his previous work experience as hotel security management.
    Do you know that in the world, there are very rich but perverted people?
    This is a real life case.
    A very rich American woman (got nothing against USA in general - it is just that in this case, it happened to be a US citizen) stayed at the hotel.
    This lady had the habit of purposely leaving a big stack of US currency (probably hundred dollar bills) on the table in the hotel.
    She has counted them and knew exactly how many there should be.
    Most likely she had recorded all the serial numbers as well.

Why did the American lady do this?
    She wanted to tempt the house cleaners and hotel housekeeping maids into taking one or two US hundred dollar bills, hoping that she would not notice.
    After the theft, she would report that hotel staff stole her money - and she would raise a SUPER big fuss with the hotel management - so as to demand specially good treatment by the hotel.
    She wanted to tempt others and exploit human weakness.
    She wanted to destroy somebody's life when the maid who stole the money is found out and charged in Court.
    This rich American lady enjoyed doing this to other human beings.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 25th April 2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgethis View Post
    How about you read the post properly?
    How about no ?

Yeah.. I've heard a few stories about sandals, shoes.. and even clothes missing. Some suspect the cleaner from HDB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast