Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: very efficient indeed...

  1. #1
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default very efficient indeed...

    but are we getting to the root cause of the problem???

    just yesterday, another innocent pedestrian got dragged under a bus.


  2. #2
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    What do cement mixers and trailers and expressways have to do with the other incident you mentioned?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    What do cement mixers and trailers and expressways have to do with the other incident you mentioned?
    I think to him a bus is just another "heavy vehicle" LOL
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    oh, you mean a double-decker bus is not considered a heavy vehicle??

    This is the definition from one-motoring site.

    Definition of Heavy Vehicle

    "Heavy Vehicle" means -

    any heavy goods vehicle or concrete mixer, the maximum laden weight of which exceeds 5,000 kilograms;
    any bus with a seating capacity of more than 15 persons, not inclusive of the driver;
    any trailer, container trailer, low loader or flat-bed trailer, the maximum laden weight of which exceeds 5,000 kilograms; and
    any mobile crane or recovery vehicle the unladen weight of which exceeds 2,500 kilograms.

  5. #5

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    nah... he's just saying...

    that only heavy vehicles run over people and are a menace to society

  6. #6
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    errr duhhhhh.... dude, buses HAVE to ply residential areas to pick up and drop passangers..... if you force buses to only use highway then how?

    Move the bus stops and waiting passangers to reloate to the highways ??
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #7

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    and the massive facepalm award goes to..



    D2XPETER!

    for always giving us the chance to do a facepalm

  8. #8
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Anyways my thinking very simple,
    - Some buses already use highway, and if heavy vehicles can use during non peak hours should be ok.
    - If talking about highway, there are no pedestrians there..

    But Ed's post reminds me that I'm not sure what point dx2peter is trying to make..

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    When someone piece a "theory" together without much thought given, the shallowness just shines in your face.

  10. #10

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    I wonder what is the reason(s) the vehicles needs permit in the first place.

  11. #11

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    I wonder what is the reason(s) the vehicles needs permit in the first place.
    because they're big, bulky and move slowly. hence to use the expressway, they need to apply for a permit.

  12. #12

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    Need to get into the root cause and think of a solution, for example LTA can use all red/pedestrian crossing on busy traffic light intersection. On such intersection, there is one single pedestrian phase rather than usual two. When pedestrian phase comes on, all the vehicles on 4 sides will stop and pedestrian and cross the road, they can even choose to cross diagonally if they want too, this had been in practice in downtown Auckland since the early 80s.
    E-M10, E-PL1, 40mm-150mm, 9-18mm, Pentax c-mount 25mm, LX 5, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm, 45mm

  13. #13
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    Quote Originally Posted by jungle_sg View Post
    Need to get into the root cause and think of a solution, for example LTA can use all red/pedestrian crossing on busy traffic light intersection. On such intersection, there is one single pedestrian phase rather than usual two. When pedestrian phase comes on, all the vehicles on 4 sides will stop and pedestrian and cross the road, they can even choose to cross diagonally if they want too, this had been in practice in downtown Auckland since the early 80s.
    But do you know what is the perceived problem here? I am not clear what it is, is it: Congestion? Innocent pedestrians being mowed down? Whether heavy vehicles have a place on expressway?!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    because they're big, bulky and move slowly. hence to use the expressway, they need to apply for a permit.
    As far as I know, only mobile cranes and extraordinary loads are banned from using expressways. Trailers, low beds, cement mixers, tipper trucks, lorry cranes, etc are still using them.

    and these things can be fast if they wanted to........

  15. #15
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    The best designed system will have flaws as long as we use them. To err is human. Cars (trucks and buses) don't kill. Only people kill people. Mind you, drivers are not at fault all the time. Not insinuating anything though.

  16. #16

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    As far as I know, only mobile cranes and extraordinary loads are banned from using expressways. Trailers, low beds, cement mixers, tipper trucks, lorry cranes, etc are still using them.

    and these things can be fast if they wanted to........
    but they have a speed limit slapped on them to prevent accidents. ever noticed the stickers? if one of them exceeds their assigned speed limit and is caught, they'll be fined.

    ONE.MOTORING - Excluded vehicles on expressways

  17. #17
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    well, the list from LTA pretty much said those vehicles I mentioned earlier are not allowed on expressways

    so regardless of speed they travel in, they are still breaking the law.

  18. #18

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    well, the list from LTA pretty much said those vehicles I mentioned earlier are not allowed on expressways

    so regardless of speed they travel in, they are still breaking the law.
    unless they had a permit, which must be shown to authorities when requested.

    Under Road Traffic (Use of Expressway By Excluded Vehicles) Rules 2010, no excluded vehicles shall be driven or allowed to be on any part of an expressway. However, an authorisation may be granted to excluded vehicles to travel along the expressway on occasions deemed fit by the Authority.
    When travelling on expressways, the permit must be readily available in the vehicle for checks by LTA at all times.

  19. #19

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    huh >>> ???
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: very efficient indeed...

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    errr duhhhhh.... dude, buses HAVE to ply residential areas to pick up and drop passangers..... if you force buses to only use highway then how?

    Move the bus stops and waiting passangers to reloate to the highways ??

    if the unthinkable happens (bus stops at highways lol), TS will probably start another thread on "very efficient indeed..." part 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •