Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: National Geographic "The Photographs"

  1. #1

    Default National Geographic "The Photographs"

    Anyone has this book?



    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

    I am thinking of getting this book, but don't have a source to preview it before buying. So, hope to hear opinion from you guys who have this book. Worth buying? The price is quite high...so don't wanna regret buying.

    The front page photo caught my eyes when I first saw it...and has been thinking of getting this book for a long time...and now finally the "action"...but still wanna hear view from you guys...

    Thanks.
    DR KOH KHO KING

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    533

    Default

    It's available for browsing at some libraries in Singapore. Just saw it at Tampines during lunch.

    Happy searching.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Originally posted by rochkoh
    It's available for browsing at some libraries in Singapore. Just saw it at Tampines during lunch.

    Happy searching.
    Which part of Tampines? The Library in Tampines?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Hi

    the book is good. Buy it

    it doesn't teach you how to shoot though, ie techniques if that's wat u're looking for.

    it tells u about national geographic photographers, (with profiles of the more well known personalities), wat goes on in their mind when they shoot, how they come across their famous shots, their asssignment trials and tribulations etc.

    the book is also a collection of all the best pictures (the famous ones seem to be all there)....... it also talks about the pictures as well, in particular relation to how the photographer visualise them, overcame difficulties in making them...

    Here and there you find tidbits of interesting info eg politics between photographers and editors - including the famous story of how William Albert Allard pissed the editors off so much by objecting to their selection of pictures and layout (hmm.......reminds me of Eugene W.Smith) that he didn't get another assignment from the GeoGraphic for the next 3 years............

    a bit of the book also talk about how photographers cope with family life (or the lack of one), divorces, family problems, etc etc etc......

    it has as much words as pictures, so this is not your typical coffee table book. If you don't like reading u probably will not enjoy it that much.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Yup.

    Oh yes, it's in the reference section. So you can't borrow it out.


    Enjoy!

    Originally posted by Digipix


    Which part of Tampines? The Library in Tampines?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Originally posted by rochkoh
    Yup.

    Oh yes, it's in the reference section. So you can't borrow it out.


    Enjoy!

    ok roger that!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    740

    Default

    juz to let u know i think i saw it juz this wk at kinokuniya parco bugis junction. hope this helps

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Any idea how much it cost?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    740

    Default

    nope..didn't check out the price coz i was actually looking for another bk. but i think should be quite ex coz its pretty thick if i rem correctly

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Originally posted by Mystix
    nope..didn't check out the price coz i was actually looking for another bk. but i think should be quite ex coz its pretty thick if i rem correctly
    Thick? Hmm... so it's worth buying!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    haha no coffee table book is going to beat a ultra-slim 77mm CPL... and any decent accessory costs alike...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    237

    Default The Photographers DVD

    How about considering buying the above DVD too

    http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/d...CACHE_ID=46373

    'Poignant and provocative...'—TV Guide. Now, get to know the unforgettable people behind the cameras. And find out what it's like to travel, explore and "get the shot" on assignment with the celebrated photographers of National Geographic. And discover the remarkable talent required to take pictures that make history, as you gain a fascinating new perspective on the world through the eyes of THE PHOTOGRAPHERS.
    SPECIAL FEATURES:

    Bonus Program: A Passion for Africa Photo Gallery; Photographer Biographies Scene Access

    THE ONLY TROUBLE HERE IS:- NOT AVAILABLE FOR SHIPMENT OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA.

  13. #13

    Default

    Thanks, guys! I already bought the book. Manage to find a 2nd hand one at good price. The books is more about human...most photographs tell u human site...or related to human.

    The book is big size. The writing inside is a bit hard to follow (pic and writing not tally in same page). The photos inside are big. Some blow to two page big size (the book is BIG).

    If I were to spend S$70+ for this book (amazon+shipping), then I would say no, but I pay less than that...so is a good buy and good book to keep in my collection.

    (I love to read and collect good books...even comics! I can browse them anytime I want...and flip to my desire page easily. If I were to use a computer or TV to read a book...I would rather not reading. Computer/screen will/can never replace paper/book).
    DR KOH KHO KING

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: The Photographers DVD

    Originally posted by zOOm
    How about considering buying the above DVD too

    http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/d...CACHE_ID=46373

    'Poignant and provocative...'—TV Guide. Now, get to know the unforgettable people behind the cameras. And find out what it's like to travel, explore and "get the shot" on assignment with the celebrated photographers of National Geographic. And discover the remarkable talent required to take pictures that make history, as you gain a fascinating new perspective on the world through the eyes of THE PHOTOGRAPHERS.
    SPECIAL FEATURES:

    Bonus Program: A Passion for Africa Photo Gallery; Photographer Biographies Scene Access

    THE ONLY TROUBLE HERE IS:- NOT AVAILABLE FOR SHIPMENT OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA.
    i got this as well
    had it shipped over here from Amazon.com........it's a simple process....
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    237

    Default Re: Re: The Photographers DVD

    reddawn,
    thanks thanks, I should have tried amazon.
    btw, what's your rating of this DVD out of the scale of 5?

    thanks once again ....

    Originally posted by Red Dawn


    i got this as well
    had it shipped over here from Amazon.com........it's a simple process....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •