Thread: question on workflow - DNG

Default question on workflow - DNG

i noticed that if at import, i copy in DNG and also copy to second drive as my backup, the backup is saved in the camera format - ORF for me, and not DNG.

is there an issue? if my computer crash and i recover using the backup, will the edits be lost?

appreciate any help on this, thanks!

Default Re: question on workflow - DNG

hmmm, i think with that current workflow, no matter what format you keep in, the edits you made to the dng on your working drive will not be reflected in your second drive. It is a separate drive no?
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

What programme you are referring to?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    hmmm, i think with that current workflow, no matter what format you keep in, the edits you made to the dng on your working drive will not be reflected in your second drive. It is a separate drive no?
    Unless you do it out of Lightroom and do the good old fashion Mirroring (RAID Level 1)

hi guys

thanks for coming. apologies i am talking aout Lightroom4.

incubus, yeah, its a different external drive. but i assume if the desktop crash, by relaunching the backup-ed catelog and back-uped photos, you get everything back.

but if the catelog was created with respect to DNG photos, and the backuped photos are ORF photos, will it work as intended?
    Last edited by chongster; 21st April 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Scenario one
    If your desktop were to crash together with your catalog, then im afraid not.

Scenario two
    If your desktop were to crash but you have a backed up catalog and a backed up dng, i believe your tags, ratings, selections and edits would be safely intact.

From my understanding, the catalog saves all your selections, taggings and ratings. The individual edits would be saved together in the DNG, it would be saved as a .xmp sidecar file if a nef or crw file is used instead.

For metadata changes, check out this article here. You might wanna find the "Embed Original Raw File" box in Preferences>File handling and tick the box.

This is just from my own understanding after absorbing what other users have advised via tutorials, tips and such over the last few years. Some other experts might wanna chime in
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

thanks. the DNG is like a box with the photo and the sidecar all in it. if you copy as proprietary RAW, apparently the sidecar is in the catelog.

so i think the better workflow would be

(1) save as proprietary RAW
    (2) make 2nd copy of propretary RAW to external harddisk
    (3) do your edits.

hmmmm, or shall i just use Apple Time Machine as the backup??

LR4 and previous versions come with a catalog backup function. Depending on settings, the entire catalog can be backed up to external drives.
    So you can use both functions in parallel: create 2nd copy during import and create a backup at the end of editing. Keep everything on alternative media (not just another directory of the same system) and should be good to go. In addition, Blueray media and writers are available and prices become reasonable.
    If you use Time Machine make sure that LR is NOT running during backup to ensure database integrity.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    LR4 and previous versions come with a catalog backup function. Depending on settings, the entire catalog can be backed up to external drives.
    So you can use both functions in parallel: create 2nd copy during import and create a backup at the end of editing. Keep everything on alternative media (not just another directory of the same system) and should be good to go. In addition, Blueray media and writers are available and prices become reasonable.
    If you use Time Machine make sure that LR is NOT running during backup to ensure database integrity.
    thanks, just to wrap this up, i did some tests, and the conclusion is:

IF you want to use the "create 2nd copy" function during Import as the ONLY backing process for the PHOTOS
    then you should NOT copy as DNG.