Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Stealing Images

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    256

    Default Stealing Images

    what should one do when others on the web take pictures of yours, and use it on their sites without 1) asking for permission, and 2) not crediting your work?

    http://designaholik.com/uncleparty/r...pers/blood.jpg <<< this particular picture of mine always turns up on blogs being used as a background picture, and sometimes, they remove the url on the bottom right of the image too.

    they link it direct to my host and it eats my bandwidth. asking them to take it down has been fruitless. short of removing the image, is there anything i should/could do?


  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    You have the right to sue them

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    256

    Default

    i dun wan to sue ppl, i just dun wan to pay my host so much every mth for the excess traffic.

  5. #5
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uncleparty
    i dun wan to sue ppl, i just dun wan to pay my host so much every mth for the excess traffic.
    If the image is being hotlinked to your site, replace it with an image (retain the filename and location) that basically says "PLEASE STOP LINKING TO MY IMAGE, YOU STINKING B**TARD!".

    Bet you that they will remove the link immediately. Won't work if they have leeched and then stored the image on their own server.

    Good luck in your preventive measures.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    SUE! SUE! SUE!

    you aren't going to get far suing them cos your lawyers will have to give them a grace period to take the pics down. After which you have no more case against them. It is only IF they refuse to take the images down can you continue to claim some form of compensation (if any). Daren's idea is prob better.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  7. #7
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    nope you can't. IPOS does not give advice on civil matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    actually damages and injunction are two different remedies. Academically speaking, even if they take down the pics, remedies for damages for past actions are still available. therefore, your comment isn't entirely accurate.


    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    SUE! SUE! SUE!

    you aren't going to get far suing them cos your lawyers will have to give them a grace period to take the pics down. After which you have no more case against them. It is only IF they refuse to take the images down can you continue to claim some form of compensation (if any). Daren's idea is prob better.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    then the correct way to put it is as below
    "..IF they refuse to take it down, then you can apply for an injuction and claim for damages (if any)"

    correct?

    either way, P is still on the losing end. Cos he will still have to bear the cost of hiring the lawyer.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  10. #10
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    let me try to amend your original statement:

    you aren't going to get far suing them cos it is normal practice for your lawyers to give them a grace period to take the pics down. If they do, you may still pursue them for damages, but IF they refuse, to take the images down, your remedy would probably be an injunction together with damages. Daren's idea is prob better.


    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    then the correct way to put it is as below
    "..IF they refuse to take it down, then you can apply for an injuction and claim for damages (if any)"

    correct?

    either way, P is still on the losing end. Cos he will still have to bear the cost of hiring the lawyer.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    108

    Default

    btw, where is the website that steal ur image?

    sg doesnt have agreement with certain countries for the copyright thing. so you may need to check there the website is host first.

    and besides, it is quite hard and costly to sue ppl from oversea.

    if i am you, i will write my signature big big at the center to make the picture unuseable. like that i no need to worry of being stolen. and also make the ppl download ur picture knows those website steal image also. haha...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    that is true. Actually I came across a website called "pirate bay" well..

    i'll just let the link speak for itself. kinda entertaining.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uncleparty
    i dun wan to sue ppl, i just dun wan to pay my host so much every mth for the excess traffic.
    if you do not want to pay for excess traffic, just rename your images every now and then...

  14. #14

    Default

    If your webhost has something called HotLink Protection, then you have an answer already.

    Or you could choose to read up and mess with .htaccess.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    If the image is being hotlinked to your site, replace it with an image (retain the filename and location) that basically says "PLEASE STOP LINKING TO MY IMAGE, YOU STINKING B**TARD!".

    Bet you that they will remove the link immediately. Won't work if they have leeched and then stored the image on their own server.

    Good luck in your preventive measures.
    I think use the macro image of Ju-on is better. Confirm take it down.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    256

    Default

    haha! thanks all for the help.

    i've considered changing the html links occasionally, or uploading evil pics to diss them off (used to do that), but its quite a lot of effort on my part that would confuse me eventually. cos usually, there are a couple of diff pics being linked.

    but i guess i'll have to continue doing that. or consider the no-external link thing.

    thanks a lot guys!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •