Singapore Changi Airport voted the World's Best Airport
Singapore's Changi Airport: World's Best Airport, Again, in New Skytrax Survey.
Read the travellers' reviews here
Singapore Changi Airport Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX
I don't care about the nice architecture, restaurants, lounges, shopping, butterfly parks and so on. To me these are insignificant.
My own take on why Changi is #1 (likely to be different from what SkyTrax looks for):
There is only 1 real reason whenever you fly.
It is safe.
• the air-traffic controllers are skilled and know what they are doing.
• the airport management do not allow nonsensical acts like leaving several bulldozers on runways overnight.
• runways that are supposed to be closed would be properly indicated with proper signage.
• your wallet is safe. Your don't get the country's immigration staff openly asking you for tips. (happened to me at a foreign seaport)
• the runways are wide enough and long enough.
• the proper airport installations such as underground radar and standby electrical generators are actually installed and functioning as per specifications. Which may not always be the case in other corrupt countries.
• we do not have typhoons or hurricanes or snow storms affecting take off and landings.
• ambulances and fire-fighting trucks with well trained crew are present in case of emergency.
• the equipment and radar actually work, which may not always be the case for other airports.
• it is well patrolled by police and Gurkhas to discourage terrorists.
• no crime at the airport. Nobody robbing you or stealing from you.
• the take off and landing are not dangerously near to hills or tall nearby buildings.
• there are no touts or gangs harassing tourists to use their taxis or transport service into town.
When Qantas A380 jet had a serious problem, the crew opted to fly back to Changi to land. Although the jet was much closer to another country's airport.
Captain Richard de Crespigny. who was in command of QF32, recalled that a decision had to be made to
land the aircraft in Singapore or another location and the crew opted for the former.
"We chose Singapore because we were familiar with it and considered it the best equipped airport in the world.. Singapore's airport is a pilot's dream' said he.