Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Posts
    57

    Default Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    This is the Street and candid thread ...why am I looking at Chinese opera and airplanes.

    What on earth have you done. You guys are street photographers ...have some pride in yourselves.

    I came here when I first started street, its got some good people and some good street photographers, so why are you getting walked on?

    Airplanes in street and candid ...seriously?
    Isn't there a travel thread ...?

    One of the difficulties in street is that that the definitions can be slack but this is beyond a joke.

    Ant
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
    oneant.com.au

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
    29.

    Catching 2000 winks by HakWee, on Flickr
    This forum has some amazing work, some amazing photographers ...

    Ant.
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
    oneant.com.au

  3. #3

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Well, kind of agree and disagree.

    Maybe the planes can fly elsewhere (but its just 1 thread, so live and let live lah!)

    The opera, its people/candids/'life' so I've no problems with it.

    The so called 'witty' shots (like your example), well.... they are nice, but its not the only definition to street shots.

    Maybe the section should be called Streets/Candids/Life ?

    Nice to have someone voice it out though.
    I'd rather ppl here not title their threads based on gear.
    Too many "Streets using my XXXX" camera titled threads.
    Any camera can do Streets
    Or maybe I'm missing out and everyone else is a sponsored street photographer.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 18th April 2013 at 02:17 PM.

  4. #4
    Member macaroni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    northside
    Posts
    1,319

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    This forum has some amazing work, some amazing photographers ...

    Ant.
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
    oneant.com.au
    Hi Ant, thanks for quoting my shot, i for one am also guilty of showcasing Chinese Opera in my thread. But I think its ok to do so once in a while? I know its kinda deviant from the definition of streets but in Singapore these Chinese operas are staged out in our public housing estates or what could be as "out there in the streets" and not in the theatre. Its a dying art and i try to document these shows before they are gone. Maybe its put under the wrong section but thanks for voicing out. BTW i love your works.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    I just think that street is likely at its most difficult away from 'western' cities. Some of you are in real tight communities and likely know what its like to be chased down a dirt road. I got chased by a pancake lady in Nanjing China once (grin) I have enormous respect for you guys and want to see this thread do better. Some amazing pictures and photographers but yes it does need to tighten up a bit.

    You should have heaps more visiting and there needs to be resistance against western photography styles as the only style so I need to learn from you too. You can teach me too about 'street' where you come from, I'd seriously love that and in return I'd love to give some advice if any is wanted.

    All you guys know I'm in Melbourne yea, its one of the places where we make everyone feel at home and honestly if it wasn't for the students that come here, Melbourne and our lives wouldn't be as nice. And if you've even been to Melbourne then you'd know I'm telling the truth.

    Don't tell anyone (grin)but I also modified the street photography wiki. It was so 'American' before and its wrong and now it yours as well so we should enjoy it. I'll fix it some more soon.

    Street_photography Wiki

    I hope you will all accept me and tell me when I'm wrong but this is a great place and I can tell you I'm right about that. (grin)

    My site is in Flash so apologies to mac users but it also loads to ipad or tablet.


    Ant.
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
    oneant.com.au

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Well, kind of agree and disagree.

    Maybe the planes can fly elsewhere (but its just 1 thread, so live and let live lah!)
    No, there is a lot of confusion about what is and what isn't street. The planes belong in travel, they are transport not street. If you want new members and new people coming to look then you need to clean up your room.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The opera, its people/candids/'life' so I've no problems with it.

    The so called 'witty' shots (like your example), well.... they are nice, but its not the only definition to street shots.
    No, I never said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Maybe the section should be called Streets/Candids/Life ?
    Why, its already a mess with airplanes. Why mess it up more? Besides Street is Life but that doesn't mean you should post your Grandma's cat
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Nice to have someone voice it out though.
    I'd rather ppl here not title their threads based on gear.
    Too many "Streets using my XXXX" camera titled threads.
    Any camera can do Streets
    Or maybe I'm missing out and everyone else is a sponsored street photographer.
    Not sure where these complaints comes from but listing gear is good. If I see a pic and I'd like to know how it was done then I want to know what it was done with. It doesn't mean anything else and it shouldn't bother you. I love LOMO, camera phones, pinhole, film, anything as long as its street. Don't list if you don't want to, thats fine. Its the pics we want to see.

    I'm not trying to make any rules ...just fix this up a bit, and have fun ...and learn from you guys.

    Anyway ...I'm off now to look at all the pics here, got my coffee and I'll put some music on and enjoy.

    Ant.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
    Hi Ant, thanks for quoting my shot, i for one am also guilty of showcasing Chinese Opera in my thread. But I think its ok to do so once in a while? I know its kinda deviant from the definition of streets but in Singapore these Chinese operas are staged out in our public housing estates or what could be as "out there in the streets" and not in the theatre. Its a dying art and i try to document these shows before they are gone. Maybe its put under the wrong section but thanks for voicing out. BTW i love your works.
    Thats sad, we have lost a few things in Australia, the circus that always smelt bad, the boxing tent where they would knock each other out and I haven't seen a bearded lady in a sideshow for a long time (grin).
    I've been to a few Chinese Operas, I've got a diary somewhere where I wrote the names of them, must find it to tell you what I've seen. I wish I could describe the singing but you'd laugh at me.

    Quote Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
    5.


    The pics, they are good too, stunning in fact. I see too there is another Chinese Opera thread with ZERO comments. You are right they should be here, my mistake ...but I am learning.

    Ant.
    Last edited by oneANT; 18th April 2013 at 06:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Member macaroni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    northside
    Posts
    1,319

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    Thats sad, we have lost a few things in Australia, the circus that always smelt bad, the boxing tent where they would knock each other out and I haven't seen a bearded lady in a sideshow for a long time (grin).
    I've been to a few Chinese Operas, I've got a diary somewhere where I wrote the names of them, must find it to tell you what I've seen. I wish I could describe the singing but you'd laugh at me.




    The pics, they are good too, stunning in fact. I see too there is another Chinese Opera thread with ZERO comments. You are right they should be here, my mistake ...but I am learning.

    Ant.
    Hey no problem Ant, glad u like the pic.

  9. #9
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT
    You need to get those plane spotting threads moved to travel or documentary. Thats a horrendous insult to every street photographer in that forum. The forums a mess, I want to stick around and see it built back up to the traffic it should have and your thread is a more than a blight.

    You need to have it moved ...seriously.
    How they accepted this for all this time is sheer idiocy.

    ...it's even got two archived threads, its just not funny.
    If you want new members and new people coming to look then you need to clean up your room.
    Thank you for highlighting you concerns, oneANT. I have already clarify your original enquiries directed to us, aviation enthusiasts.

    There is more to aviation than just "travelling" and anyway though, statistically speaking, the aviation series of threads has been rather popular since it was created with two out of three seasons amongst the top four ranking threads (clicks / hits wise) in this particular gallery sub-forum for a total of 302,124 views since the 1st of April 2009 with an average of 204.41 views per day. I'm sure traffic from some of these members will be directed to other street and candids photography threads in this gallery sub-forum as well.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 18th April 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Thank you for highlighting you concerns, oneANT. I have already clarify your original enquiries directed to us, aviation enthusiasts.

    There is more to aviation than just "travelling" and anyway though, statistically speaking, the aviation series of threads has been rather popular since it was created with two out of three seasons amongst the top four ranking threads (clicks / hits wise) in this particular gallery sub-forum for a total of 302,124 views since the 1st of April 2009 with an average of 204.41 views per day. I'm sure traffic from some of these members will be directed to other street and candids photography threads in this gallery sub-forum as well.

    Cheers.
    So why not just consider moving it.
    It belongs in travel and even those in the travel thread that have no hobby interest in the aircraft use them on their travels. You are even likely to get travelers asking about the arrangements of a aircraft. After all its the traveller that sits in them.

    You and I and every other street photographers here knows its a thread in the wrong forum and it should have been relocated a long time ago.

    They are not 'candid' aircraft ...there is no such thing unless you are going to tell me that the pictures were taken without the aircraft's knowledge. They are not street photography and you even posted a definition of street (a poor one by the way) that makes my suggestion the more obvious.

    Just imagine that street photographers start posting to that aircraft thread for no reason then pointing out the sky in their pictures. Do you understand the insult. It degrades by suggesting it has no value and you are already suggesting that.

    Do you yourself do any street photography? Where would you post it ...here or in the aircraft thread. The aircraft are not a sub-set of street. The street is not a sub-set of the aircraft.

    On the point of the forum traffic, thats exactly the problem. This forum needs to be built up. It needs to be a way for street photographers to be seen and as a guide for newer photographers. So I'll get you to explain the airplanes shall I? Could you explain to them why a street photographer takes pics of aircraft.

    Why isnt there a train enthusiast's thread in street and candid? Don't you like trains?

    If the aircraft is on the ground ...its still not street photography, even if its got a homeless person sleeping in the cockpit, its still not street photography.

    It is transport and transport is travel. How on earth do you link it to street photography and if you are so determined to, then how on earth will you explain this to every new street photographer that comes to this forum. Some work needs to be done here but these things dont even seem to concern you.

    I'm surprised the photographers here don't take insult, you make it sound like the street forum is a convenience for the aircraft enthusiasts. You say they can simply exit that thread and deposit their street images here. That is crazy, you are saying yourself that the thread is in the wrong forum and that somehow the street photographers need it and its traffic.

    None of this makes any sense, its a topic of travel and you and everyone else here knows this.

    The equipment you use, is nothing like we use, the settings you use are nothing like we do, the technique, the b+w conversions ...what is there in common with street photography? ...just answer this and ignore everything else I say.

    Eastern Street photography needs to have a greater profile, its need its place and its respect ...but here its already lacking in both.

    Its a polite request, let them have their street and candid forum. I've asked if it could be moved and really there should be no objection especially when I am sure the members of the aircraft thread wish to cause no disrespect to any photographers here.

    you said
    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I have already clarify your original enquiries directed to us, aviation enthusiasts.
    What do you mean "aviation enthusiasts" don't you mean ...street photographers?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Maybe the section should be called Streets/Candids/Life ?
    IMO, I would rather have a new subforum created for Candids/Life, and re-title this subforum as Street/Documentary.

    I believe many who shoot street like to shoot street opera as well. I would regard street opera as being under documentary photography, and so I made a conscious decision not to post my street opera threads in this subforum. The Reportage subforum appears to best describe this style of photography.

    On the other hand, my street opera threads look a little out of place with the sports photography threads

  12. #12
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    So why not just consider moving it.
    Because I do not have the authority to move threads and no one had yet to make an issue out of this for the past four years until yesterday .

    Frankly, I just feel that you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  13. #13

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    This is the Street and candid thread ...why am I looking at Chinese opera and airplanes.

    What on earth have you done. You guys are street photographers ...have some pride in yourselves.

    I came here when I first started street, its got some good people and some good street photographers, so why are you getting walked on?

    Airplanes in street and candid ...seriously?
    Isn't there a travel thread ...?

    One of the difficulties in street is that that the definitions can be slack but this is beyond a joke.

    Ant
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
    oneant.com.au
    While part of your rant is valid, you are guilty of your own accusations.

    This is a photo gallery, where is your photo work?

    Perhaps you should move this thread to Kopitiam?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    No, there is a lot of confusion about what is and what isn't street. The planes belong in travel, they are transport not street. If you want new members and new people coming to look then you need to clean up your room.
    I've already said, Live and let live, its only 1 thread on this sub-forum.
    It inconviniences no one and its been rather popular, neither does it fully fit travel either.
    Then someone there will say "This is travel and landscapes" not "Airplanes and Airscapes"


    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post

    Why, its already a mess with airplanes. Why mess it up more? Besides Street is Life but that doesn't mean you should post your Grandma's cat
    Seem like you adhere to a verbatim use of the word or title of the forum.

    Street photography is about life. Human life, Humanity.
    Its broadly acknowledged that its hard to define what is street photography and its definition varies from person to person, even amongst well know street photographers.
    So pls don't try to impose your view of what it is on others.
    If you don't like the thread of a certain street shooter here, just look at his/her thread less.


    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    Not sure where these complaints comes from but listing gear is good. If I see a pic and I'd like to know how it was done then I want to know what it was done with. It doesn't mean anything else and it shouldn't bother you. I love LOMO, camera phones, pinhole, film, anything as long as its street. Don't list if you don't want to, thats fine. Its the pics we want to see.
    The problem with some of these gear related titles is that its like a beckoning to see the thread just because some guy spent money and got the latest gear or the most bokehluka lens.
    Why should gear interfere with good street shots and people/life photography which have been taken with any camera over the decades.
    If anyone is interested in the gear used because of the photographic effect, then its just a matter and courtesy of asking.
    I'm sure the photographer who is asked will be pleased and proud to tell.

    Personally, I'd rather a more related or imaginative title to what/where/when/etc the shooter was shooting/thinking/getting at.
    But thats my few cents on it.

  15. #15

    Default

    Extracted from http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candid_photography:
    A candid photograph is a photograph that is captured without creating a posed appearance. This is achieved by avoiding prior preparation of the subject and by either surprising the subject or by not distracting the subject during the process of taking photos. Thus, the candid character of a photo is regardless of the subject's knowledge or consent as to the fact that photos are being taken, and regardless of the subject's permission for subsequent usage such as distribution, but related to the apparent absence of posing. It is distinguished from making secret photography by the photographer usually remaining discernible to the public and not wearing cover.
    None of the shots I've posted are posed shots. If street performers are considered streets and candids, why aren't Chinese opera performed on a stage by the streets considered the same? Technically, they are still street performers.
    Last edited by Schmike; 19th April 2013 at 08:56 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    How should one define the term Street & Candid photography?

    I being to one outing by a CS member and it was hilarious but I accept it.

    He say Macro is street photography.

    what is your take?

    Why I accepted it cos there is once walking along the street where there are plants and I spotted some bugs. I took out my new toy G15 to test the macro function. Therefore, I took marco along the street..but again, I will never tell someone Macro is street photography

    It's how you perceive things.
    Last edited by Verilost19; 19th April 2013 at 08:50 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    I'd be the first to admit that I was initially put off by oneANT's sudden postings when it appeared. Then again, I walked away, thought about it and I got round to seeing his points. Guys, we are all on the same side remember - we love our hobby and collectively want this forum to be the definitive place for new and old comers alike to come and chill while sharing and learning from one another cos all our experiences and influences are so varied and interesting.

    Some are clearly more passionate about their art and sometimes they choose to be vocal about it. It can be come across as disconcerting due to the tone and manner but again do think about the intentions behind it. I try to think about my shots; if they are suitable for the thread that I am participating. I can see some people's passion and drive in sharing what is very close to their hearts with fellow forum users. But we do need some form of order and organisation for the sake of other users and if we want to be taken seriously with our craft.

    I hope my posting does not offend any one and I do apologise if I did. Take care bros, lets channel our energies into more constructive and enjoyable outreach like taking more breathtaking photos! Be well.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ɹǝpun uʍop
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Because I do not have the authority to move threads and no one had yet to make an issue out of this for the past four years until yesterday .

    Frankly, I just feel that you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
    I interview street photographers as part of another occupation. I have an interview that I asked the photographer (a well known photographer) If I could post it here. I explained to him that my motives were because of a western definition that has too much influence over a definition of street photography. He photographs in Vietnam and his work is stunning and sought after. I had to identify where the forum was and he agreed on principle but wanted to see the location first.

    He wrote to me and asked why was there a hobby thread in the street and candid form and I could only reply that I honestly didn't know. But he had already declined my request because of it. He like many are particular about how they are represented and he felt that a forum that didn't even know itself was not a place where he wanted his work to be seen. It was a shame I chose him before any other, he was my best example of a street photographer with a sound Eastern definition and style and a very well know photographer.

    Why on earth did you pick street and candid and even if as someone suggested it is modified to documentary, the aircraft still wont fit. You are forcing a definition where it doesn't belong and forcing it as a matter of hiding an error (your error) in the first place. I still cannot fathom why you picked this forum and now wish that I had stayed around back then in 2010.
    I don't want to lose another interview so I won't post any till there is some kind of resolve. Already you can see others filtering in here and they will continue to demean and deride and take it even further OT. Seriously are you now suggesting in front of the whole world that this forum is to be so unique as it include plane spotting in the definition of street. Why can't you take up trains as well?

    So I've lost an interview ...everyone here has lost a terrific opportunity and I still couldn't explain to the guy why a community would be so broken.

    Ant.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    From what I look at it, I will say streets is more of a sub genre of documentary. The same goes for travel. Just like macro of smaller animals/creatures is a sub genre of wildlife. There is no right or wrong. Different people have different views and opinions. Sub categorizing certain things will make it easier for everyone.

    It's just like all the different jobs out there. There are many industries and we only specialize in certain aspects of that industry. We can't cover everything under the same industry.
    Last edited by Schmike; 19th April 2013 at 09:52 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Gezz what are you guys doing .....?

    Now we see where you are coming from
    Isn't street photography also a hobby?
    And you are possibly gonna involve dollar and cents from clubsnap street and candid portal, what a shame.

    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    I interview street photographers as part of another occupation. I have an interview that I asked the photographer (a well known photographer) If I could post it here. I explained to him that my motives were because of a western definition that has too much influence over a definition of street photography. He photographs in Vietnam and his work is stunning and sought after. I had to identify where the forum was and he agreed on principle but wanted to see the location first.

    He wrote to me and asked why was there a hobby thread in the street and candid form and I could only reply that I honestly didn't know. But he had already declined my request because of it. He like many are particular about how they are represented and he felt that a forum that didn't even know itself was not a place where he wanted his work to be seen. It was a shame I chose him before any other, he was my best example of a street photographer with a sound Eastern definition and style and a very well know photographer.

    Why on earth did you pick street and candid and even if as someone suggested it is modified to documentary, the aircraft still wont fit. You are forcing a definition where it doesn't belong and forcing it as a matter of hiding an error (your error) in the first place. I still cannot fathom why you picked this forum and now wish that I had stayed around back then in 2010.
    I don't want to lose another interview so I won't post any till there is some kind of resolve. Already you can see others filtering in here and they will continue to demean and deride and take it even further OT. Seriously are you now suggesting in front of the whole world that this forum is to be so unique as it include plane spotting in the definition of street. Why can't you take up trains as well?

    So I've lost an interview ...everyone here has lost a terrific opportunity and I still couldn't explain to the guy why a community would be so broken.

    Ant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •