Default Re: Investment Talk

hold cash, storm coming.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    SingPost! BBB!
    Singpost SSS!
    $1.50-$1.315=$0.185 profit per share!

1c of profit in your hand is worth two in the bush!

Did I mention United Envirotech?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Did I mention United Envirotech?
    I thought that you said hold cash.

Singpost SSS!
    $1.50-$1.315=$0.185 profit per share!

1c of profit in your hand is worth two in the bush!
    Why is there a need to sell? SingPost will continue its uptrend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Why is there a need to sell? SingPost will continue its uptrend.
    1. Because it's inches away from 52 week high. RSI is oversold.
    2. I don't get good vibes about the price charts lately. Large increases with nothing much to drive markets.
    3. 1c of profit in hand is worth 2c in the bush. Take profit first then say. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.
    4. Shizuma said hold cash, storm coming.

I thought that you said hold cash.
    Jeez. Should have given you guys tip off at first page. *facepalm*
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

2. I don't get good vibes about the price charts lately. Large increases with nothing much to drive markets.
    3. 1c of profit in hand is worth 2c in the bush. Take profit first then say. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.
    Did you see daily sg market turnover? Anything less than a billion shares traded is worrying
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Major restructuring just announced for public transport sector affecting ComfortDelGro Corporation and SMRT Corporation [01] [02] [03].

Bus related assets and infrastructure first followed by railway related assets and infrastructure with possibly similar model. Might have some relations to the insider trading not too long ago.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Those who sold SingPost shares earlier must be banding their hearts now. It has broken the $1.50 mark. Now that Alibaba has taken a major stake in the company, SingPost will have more cash to expand its business.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Major restructuring just announced for public transport sector affecting ComfortDelGro Corporation and SMRT Corporation [01] [02] [03].

Bus related assets and infrastructure first followed by railway related assets and infrastructure with possibly similar model. Might have some relations to the insider trading not too long ago.
    Just when everybody thinks that SMRT is a dying horse, suddenly our government gave it a ject to become a flying horse.

SingPost broke historical high at $1.75. Those who sold earlier are banging their chests now.

Invest in Tamasek.... wait thats the Island of Singapore
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    Invest in Tamasek.... wait thats the Island of Singapore
    It is true to some extent. Temasek won't allow its GLC to go underwater for too long. SMRT is the best example.

SingPost broke historical high at $1.75. Those who sold earlier are banging their chests now.
    In 2008 hedge fund manager Lex van Dam gave 1mil of his own money to 8 guys on the streets. He and Anton Kreil gave them a crash course, then simply told them to trade.

At the end of the show half made profits, half made losses. The fund lost 2%. Professionally managed funds during that time on average lost ~5%.

Studies of professionally managed funds show only 50% of them managed to beat their benchmarks. If you factor in the 2% annual fees paid to the fund managers, only ~1/3 beat their benchmarks.

Lesson to be learnt here: The market is essentially random*. And mostly it's driven by external events no one could predict, e.g. govt buying smrt, mergers, acquisitions, wars, etc. These are things that wouldn't show up in annual reports. It is no use trying to predict these events. And it may very well be useless to pay a professional to predict the market for you, i.e. buying into a managed fund.

This is why lately it is fashionable to advocate ETFs.

If you understood this fact, you will learn to let go and be at peace with yourself.
    So what if smrt or singpost got away? There is a long list of other fishes to fry.

* Disclaimer: random may not be the right word. Statistics show some deviation from true randomness. Nonetheless, many algorithmic trading strategies treat it as random.
    Last edited by ArchRival; 29th May 2014 at 08:08 PM.

In short run market is random In long run fundamentals for specific stocks come true. Don't believe me, ask Warren Buffet
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

In 2008 hedge fund manager Lex van Dam gave 1mil of his own money to 8 guys on the streets. He and Anton Kreil gave them a crash course, then simply told them to trade.

At the end of the show half made profits, half made losses. The fund lost 2%. Professionally managed funds during that time on average lost ~5%.

Studies of professionally managed funds show only 50% of them managed to beat their benchmarks. If you factor in the 2% annual fees paid to the fund managers, only ~1/3 beat their benchmarks.

Lesson to be learnt here: The market is essentially random*. And mostly it's driven by external events no one could predict, e.g. govt buying smrt, mergers, acquisitions, wars, etc. These are things that wouldn't show up in annual reports. It is no use trying to predict these events. And it may very well be useless to pay a professional to predict the market for you, i.e. buying into a managed fund.

This is why lately it is fashionable to advocate ETFs.

If you understood this fact, you will learn to let go and be at peace with yourself.
    So what if smrt or singpost got away? There is a long list of other fishes to fry.

* Disclaimer: random may not be the right word. Statistics show some deviation from true randomness. Nonetheless, many algorithmic trading strategies treat it as random.
    It's ok if you want to sell SingPost based on your chart anaylsis, As long as you make money, it's alright.

StanChart axes equities business! Ho ho ho!

StanChart stock also not doing very well. Whoever bought massively in 2006 when market price was almost 1500 would have lost ~1/3 the value.

In other unrelated news, Olams closing price yesterday was $2.01. Whoever paid $2.23 for it last year is also .

I'm currently watching the high yield bond market in America...when the first significant oil company is sold at fire sale prices and when significant dumping of high yield oil bonds (speculation - gambling) appears then I think that would be a good indicator of major super significant trouble in the American economy and thus probably the world (at least in the West for sure). I am a dilettante in these matters and new to it at that please keep in mind I also understand that I do not have the proper tools to really analyze this idea properly. Since the stock market seems to be flying so high nowadays (when you know damn good and well the world is somewhat haywire and supposedly slowing down) and historically these HYB's (junk bonds) typically track the stock market...well it just smells funny to me. Especially after what has happened in the past with the American markets. It is almost like it is not about trust anymore just speculation and downright gambling and there is something evil about that if you ask me.

The planet really needs to get away from using oil to move everything around like it does. The sooner the better. Knowledge, innovation, technology, and possibly a little bit of luck or good fortune is the key to bringing this about. We'll always need oil...just not so damn much that we kill ourselves and our planet in the meantime. These are the kinds of investments that are the future and where the money will be made but perhaps not in our lifetime but probably sooner than later and that is why the oil barons are holding on dearly.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 10th January 2015 at 10:54 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast