Thread: Why u choose photoshop when gimp is free (or what does PS provide that gimp did not)

Default Why u choose photoshop when gimp is free (or what does PS provide that gimp did not)

(Well, firstly forgive my ignorance)
    Mmm, hope i did not step on anyone's toe.
    But I notice Gimp has curves, levels, blur, ...
    i.e. the essential components in pixel editing are there in Gimp.

Why do home users prefer/need to fork out the exhorbitant
    amount for PS? (or risk / fear the BSA on using pirated copies?)

Is it because of
    1) better implementation?
    2) industry standard?
    3) filters galleries? features....

Just curious. pls share leh....

Or should i phrase it this way:
    what do u miss if u goto Gimp?

Quote Originally Posted by jpcc
    (Well, firstly forgive my ignorance)
    Mmm, hope i did not step on anyone's toe.
    But I notice Gimp has curves, levels, blur, ...
    i.e. the essential components in pixel editing are there in Gimp.

Why do home users prefer/need to fork out the exhorbitant
    amount for PS? (or risk / fear the BSA on using pirated copies?)

Is it because of
    1) better implementation?
    2) industry standard?
    3) filters galleries? features....

Just curious. pls share leh....

Or should i phrase it this way:
    what do u miss if u goto Gimp?
    Have you actually tried using GIMP before?

Yes I did. Anything wrong with it? I'm still using it in office.

Other then to relearn where the different functions are located. I find GIMP equally as good as PS.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Yes I did. Anything wrong? I'm still using it in office.
    I used it when I was running Fedora at home and found that while it loaded fast and all, the UI was one of the most bewildering I've ever seen, not to mention the way it did things was different from every other graphics programs I've used. Of course there was also the multiple windows it spawned on the taskbar which would be fine on a 1600*1200 display but it just didn't cut it on a 1024*768 screen. Of course, UI-wise, things might have improved since someone just did a photoshop UI clone for GIMP (Check http://www.slashdot.org), which would have made the culture shock much easier to bear. There're also the plugins and what not that are so widely available for the software.

It's the same kind of reason why people use Microsoft Office over the Open Source/free alternatives like OpenOffice, etc. It's also a lot easier to get help from fellow photographers if you need to do certain things in PhotoShop. e.g. "How do I correct white balance problems in Photoshop?" would probably get more/better answers than "How do I correct white balance problems in GIMP?"

Regards
    CK

it is a ten over years love hate relationship with PS.

THANKS! I was looking for such a software! Don't want to pay over SDG 1000 for Photoshop CS.......

HS

Well... I guess since we have been using PS for so long, it's an ease to use it than GIMP. I am trying to learn GIMP now so that I can do some editing while I am travelling instead of waiting till I get back.....

I guess it works the other way round. If you've been using GIMP all your life you'll find PS the most unfriendly UI. Beside the most commonly used tools like dodge and burn are ready on the panel. No need to click brush then select dodge or burn..

Spawning multiple windows has it's advantages. If you noticed, the MS Office XP also spawns a seperate window for each document opened. Same case for Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.

The GIMP user interface was designed by aliens from neptune with 30 fingers. I've been using GIMP from its very early stages in 1996 and 1997 on our old SGI and Sun Sparc workstations. In those days it was mostly a curiosity, and the resident gimp gurus would astonish us.

The terrible UI really put me off and I moved to alternatives like photofiltre etc. However, we now have a couple of very nice GIMP versions which mimic photoshop. There's one for Linux here:
    http://codemills.com/blog/?p=4
    and one for the mac here:
    http://plasticbugs.com/index.php?p=241
    I tried the Linux version (I dont have a mac) and it is really an improvement.

As for what PS provides... there are several things, e.g., proper ICC support, camera raw support, CMYK processing, and many of the small things which make PS a much more productive program to use.
    Last edited by sriram; 8th April 2005 at 09:24 AM.

I guess proper ICC and CYMK would be a big pull factor for PS. There are some raw file support plugins available for GMIP though.

For something that is free, I don't really expect it to be a replica of PS.

Afterall, GIMP is developed by the people for the people. PS is done professionally by paid software professionals

I am glad that GIMP/open-source alternative discussions frequencies are getting higher these days. It's a good push towards open source freeware.

Tried gimp and found the UI quite intimidating. May try it with the photoshop UI on it. I guess its pretty good for a free software.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I used it when I was running Fedora at home and found that while it loaded fast and all, the UI was one of the most bewildering I've ever seen, not to mention the way it did things was different from every other graphics programs I've used. Of course there was also the multiple windows it spawned on the taskbar which would be fine on a 1600*1200 display but it just didn't cut it on a 1024*768 screen. Of course, UI-wise, things might have improved since someone just did a photoshop UI clone for GIMP (Check http://www.slashdot.org), which would have made the culture shock much easier to bear. There're also the plugins and what not that are so widely available for the software.
    hmm... the photoshop UI is worth a try.. but don't think there is a port to the PC platform yet..

hahah UI problem solved haven't tried it yet though.