Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use KT .icm profile?

Default How to use KT .icm profile?

I got the icm profile and test prints, but their supplied instructions suggest loading the icm profile within adobe gamma. My adobe gamma is currently disabled as i have a Spyder profile.

Whats the next best way to use the icm profile?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    I got the icm profile and test prints, but their supplied instructions suggest loading the icm profile within adobe gamma. My adobe gamma is currently disabled as i have a Spyder profile.

Whats the next best way to use the icm profile?

Thanks!
    I am not exactly 100% familiar with what you're talking about (I assume that's a lab supplied colour profile you're talking about) but what you can do is do a "Convert to Profile" - under Photoshops's "Mode" menu at the end of your workflow (or at the tail end when you can still can apply some more minor tweaks after conversion) just before you ship them the pics. You can also see a soft proof of the converted colours on screen by checking "preview".

Store the lab supplied ICM profile with all the system profiles so you can select it.

Another less advisable way of working with the lab supplied profile is to use it from the beginning of the workflow - which seems to be what's suggested by the lab. I would advise against doing this since it would make your picture that much less versatile for other uses (even if you plan to work only on a copy of the original). I'd keep the working file with the widest gamut your file came in, or convert to profile at the point in your workflow when you've decided that all the editing work from that point onwards is only for that lab targeted output.
    Last edited by kahheng; 7th April 2005 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    Spyder profile is much accurate than adobe gamma. Just use your spyder profile.

First, put the .icm file into - Windows> system32> spool> drivers> color.

The supplied profile is for you to adjust your image so that it can be close to the print result.

To use the supplied profile in PS > open the image > view > proof setup > custom > Profile (from the drop down select the supplied .icm) intent > Relative colorimetric > tick/select the use black point box > OK.

With the corect profile selected you can go ahead to adjust your image. When you've done with it save as jpeg (maximum/highest quality).

(Remember the golden rule backup your original image)

Tell the lab no adjustment required.

Hope this help.
    If you don't eventually run a convert to profile, you'd still end up working outside of the lab supplied profile's colour space, though I'd agree completely with the setting up and using the proofing setup unless you want the lab to run the conversion at their end, which is not advisable.
    Last edited by kahheng; 7th April 2005 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    Basically, for lab a jpeg file with sRGB will do. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Look, he's working with a custom profile supplied by the lab. Why would the lab supply a custom profile if they don't think anyone would benefit from it? Why would anyone want to go through all the trouble of using a custom profile if sRGB is all that's needed.

You're not all wrong (you're just saying what the labs normally say), but you didn't quite get it all though.

Converting to the lab's profile is essential and it has to happen somewhere in the workflow between your initially opening the file and the print coming out from the lab's printer. Else, just turning on "Proof colors" doesn't close the deal because you're only working in a simulation. (Of course you can always let the lab do the conversion to their profile at THEIR end, which generally is unadvisable since you're assuming that they will not forget to do so, or that their operator who receives your files is 100% competent)
    Last edited by kahheng; 7th April 2005 at 03:40 PM.

sRGB is just a "one size fits-all" standard. The machines don't recognize sRGB at all, they will print it according to the raw RGB data entered.

Only by converting to the destination profile will you get a desired result as the gamut would already be matched in your software and all that is required is a direct print.

After making your adjustments, convert to destination profile and see if there is any colour shift(choice of rendering intent properly selected), adjust further if desired and it would be ready for print.

All is is assuming that their printer profile was properly generated in the first place.

This instruction sounds pretty dodgy....you might want to ask for further clarification, printer profiles are meant for proofing and profile conversions.

Nothing to do with adobe gamma at all.

One danger of just using softproofing without profile conversion is that out of gamut colours would simply be clipped to a solid colour without detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    This instruction sounds pretty dodgy....you might want to ask for further clarification, printer profiles are meant for proofing and profile conversions.

Nothing to do with adobe gamma at all.
    I agree

thanks for the info, i know there are a few 'KT' regulars here so i'm hoping they can chime in.

I reproduce the instructions here:

(1) click on adobe gamma
    (2) load KTDI colour profile
    (3) set gamma 2.20
    (4) set white point 6500k.

From my limited experience, i know that a print profile should not be confused with a monitor profile, so i am very unclear why a 'print profile' (i.e. the KT .icm file) should be loaded into Adobe gamma (which is a monitor profile)...

Looks like they gave u a monitor profile and are trying to reverse calibrate your monitor to their printer. A futile attempt by any measure.

Ok, try Beautiful Memories or Digipro instead. At least I've gotten proper frontier profiles from them before.

hi cs,
    we have subscribe to Dry Creek Photo for a colour profile base on our new frontier machine 570. you can download the profile frm Dry Creek Photo

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...ntier_profiles.

pls read the instruction given by them on how to install the profile.

It is important to do a few test print to ensure proper calibration. minor adjustment might require by comparing the printout and display on monitor.

Thanks

Great job Mr Tan.
    Looks like I'll pay you guys a visit once again.

Btw, the correct link should be this:
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...#SingaporeCity
    Last edited by Zerstorer; 8th April 2005 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks Zerstorer, your link is correct and hope to see you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Great job Mr Tan.
    Looks like I'll pay you guys a visit once again.

Btw, the correct link should be this:
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...#SingaporeCity

Quote Originally Posted by Tan SK
    hi cs,
    we have subscribe to Dry Creek Photo for a colour profile base on our new frontier machine 570. you can download the profile frm Dry Creek Photo

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Fronti...m#SingaporeCity.

pls read the instruction given by them on how to install the profile.

It is important to do a few test print to ensure proper calibration. minor adjustment might require by comparing the printout and display on monitor.

Thanks
    WoW! This is an added value to your service. This is the way to go. Thanks.

Thanks a lot! Hopefully with this can send prints with no collection correction (save the KT staff time as well)

Wow, this is really good. I haven't visited KT for quite a while, but now I guess I will pay a visit. Btw, the profile says "Lustre paper profile, April 7, 2005". Does this apply to the usual crystal archive matte paper? Or is this some other paper?

Also, Mr. Tan mentions "It is important to do a few test print to ensure proper calibration. minor adjustment might require by comparing the printout and display on monitor." Do you have anything specific in mind, e.g., what kind of pics would be the best for this purpose? Something with a wide range of colour, or maybe something we shoot regularly?
    Last edited by sriram; 8th April 2005 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks a lot! Hopefully with this can send prints with no collection correction (save the KT staff time as well)
    I've printed some color prints and b&w negative scans using the profile without color correction and I'm now assured that what I see on my color calibrated monitor is what I get on prints by KT's Fuji Frontier 570.

BTW you can use the profile for soft-proofing the output too. Just follow the instructions on Dry Creek Photo and you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    Wow, this is really good. I haven't visited KT for quite a while, but now I guess I will pay a visit. Btw, the profile says "Lustre paper profile, April 7, 2005". Does this apply to the usual crystal archive matte paper? Or is this some other paper?

Also, Mr. Tan mentions "It is important to do a few test print to ensure proper calibration. minor adjustment might require by comparing the printout and display on monitor." Do you have anything specific in mind, e.g., what kind of pics would be the best for this purpose? Something with a wide range of colour, or maybe something we shoot regularly?
    if you proof, you see that the pic darkens, but in a non-linear way. i guess the trick is to figure out a preset curve to apply to every pic before sending for printing.

As for colours, i see very little evidence of colour shift.

a pretty good test pattern (including photo of the Gretag colourchecker) can be found at www.normankoren.com

Quote Originally Posted by sriram

Actually though not known to many people, Singapore doesn't bring in the true matte finish CAPS. Lustre is what Fuji labs give for matte prints. It is like a cross between matte and glossy which is kinda cool.

In short, this profile is for the "Matte" paper that you request when you send your prints.

As for what to test print, my opinion is to just print what you normally print but remember to convert your image to the printer profile first. Cheers!

Ah, wonderful. I always print matte. Will go to KT today and check it out. My daughter likes to look at the fish tank, and it's a long time since I said Hi to Mrs. Khor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast