Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Nus Vs Ntu

  1. #21
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    I don't know who is this guy and where he get the info....but it's a good baseline nevertheless

    http://askdrmoney.com/university_rankings.htm

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156
    Last edited by Paul_Yeo; 7th April 2005 at 05:01 PM.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sunnypore
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Well the ranking was a subjective one anyway, by asking those professors to rank the universities, so I would say it's not that accurate.

    1 more year in NTU after this sem's IA...haha

    Edit: The ranking I refer to is the one in the papers
    Last edited by mookie; 7th April 2005 at 05:09 PM.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Earth,Heaven and Beyond
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    NUS is better in rank, i believe near the top 10 in Asia??? NTU is number 40 to 50.

    But how come NTU graduates continue to command higher salaries of around $2500 per month?

    Theory and exams are not everything. It's the other qualities of the NTU graduates that make them successful in the job market.

    http://www.ntu.edu.sg/

    dude, the reason NTU BUSINESS grads(as reported by the papers) are commanding higher salaries is because they are comparing NTU(DIRECT) HONOURS students with NUS BBA(aka NON HONOURS) students.

    not every NUS business student gets to do honours.
    Last edited by Castlesinthesky; 7th April 2005 at 05:23 PM.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NTU, tomato
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castlesinthesky
    dude, the reason NTU BUSINESS grads(as reported by the papers) are commanding higher salaries is because they are comparing NTU(DIRECT) HONOURS students with NUS BBA(aka NON HONOURS) students.

    not every NUS business student gets to do honours.
    Hi, It is true that NTU students command higher pay but not because of their paper qualification only although it is one of the inducing factor. Those that can perform are the ones that can stay in the 'higher pay' band than those that cannot perform.

    This is a real and cruel world. If you cannot perform, out you go. A degree can earn you the place but you cant stay for long if you s***. I believe NTU provide very good exposure and experience and not only the theory. If you are looking for a business course, i suggest you take NTU.

    If you are looking at chemical engineering and electrical engineering i suggest you take NUS, they are supposed to be the best.

    An institute is just a place that you learn to out-perform others in the market place, the other stuffs... are just window dressing.

  6. #26

    Default

    The rankings published in our local papers are a joke la...

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    The rankings published in our local papers are a joke la...
    so what's new??? good things mentioned, bad things keep quiet.

    in singapore, the course being good or not does not matter that much. What is more important is the Institution.

    I will chose NUS anytime over NTU. why?? NTU keeps changing name, so in no time, the name of the institutio in yr degree certificate will no longer be in existence, eg Nanyang University, NTI.... and i heard they will change the name from NTU to donno what, dropping the T (=Technology). fortunately i chose NUS degree when i had a choice back in 1991/2. whew! nowadays u ask people about NTI, who knows, what more from people overseas.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    384

    Default

    I'm another one of those that graduated from NTU.
    Ppl always say NUS got the best babes and hunks , SMU creates "thinking" students but to me NTU creates the most "practical" grad that is "plug and play"
    (latest that I know of NTU commands the highest salary among local unis, correct me if wrong).

    NTU class of 2000.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    ... NTU keeps changing name, so in no time, the name of the institutio in yr degree certificate will no longer be in existence, eg Nanyang University, NTI.... and i heard they will change the name from NTU to donno what, dropping the T (=Technology). ...
    Another ignorant individual...

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sunnypore
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    I will chose NUS anytime over NTU. why?? NTU keeps changing name, so in no time, the name of the institutio in yr degree certificate will no longer be in existence, eg Nanyang University, NTI.... and i heard they will change the name from NTU to donno what, dropping the T (=Technology). fortunately i chose NUS degree when i had a choice back in 1991/2. whew! nowadays u ask people about NTI, who knows, what more from people overseas.
    bo wei gong (nothing to say)

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Earth,Heaven and Beyond
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic111
    Hi, It is true that NTU students command higher pay but not because of their paper qualification only although it is one of the inducing factor. Those that can perform are the ones that can stay in the 'higher pay' band than those that cannot perform.

    This is a real and cruel world. If you cannot perform, out you go. A degree can earn you the place but you cant stay for long if you s***. I believe NTU provide very good exposure and experience and not only the theory. If you are looking for a business course, i suggest you take NTU.

    If you are looking at chemical engineering and electrical engineering i suggest you take NUS, they are supposed to be the best.

    An institute is just a place that you learn to out-perform others in the market place, the other stuffs... are just window dressing.


    huh?yea i got the msg, it's cliche isn't it, same old thing, you know how to perform, you know how to PR, you know how to back stab, you know how to apple polish, you get ahead in this world, in this society.

    i um just was addressing the issue of what mervlam pointed out on the basis of comparison. In fact who cares, a chicken rice seller with no educational qualifications is raking in big bucks, who ever told him to choose nus or ntu for a course? he has his greatest course. Life.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    c'mon guys... for gov sch, there's only NTU or NUS or even SMU.

    just go do what u gotta do and then get out right?

    no fuss abt tt. either one will still get u a degree that's recognised.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Another ignorant individual...
    care to enlighten me???

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    care to enlighten me???
    No point, not going waste my time.

  15. #35

    Default

    i think its the same just choose what you like is the most important things.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    neither

    how many sucessful businessman really got a biz degree?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    East/west
    Posts
    372

    Default

    A degree program doesnt guarantee good pay. All i'm saying is that university life teaches you to handle societal stress and pressures better later in your workin life. Your area of discipline doesnt really play a part in your workin life.

    A sociology grad becoming a good banker, an engineering grad a top bond sales person, a biz grad doing well in backoffice or top pharma sales, etc.

    Soon, society will be flooded with masters holders anyway which shows that the basic degree is just a steppin stone.

    Having said that, i would suggest SMU depite the fact that i'm from BBA (NUS) cos i feel that an americanised system would prepare one to be more outspoken n confident which is impt in tdy's competitive environment.

    my 2 cts

  18. #38

    Default

    Never study those uni but just my personal opinion.

    Go for SMU. They seems to have prepare student quite well for the future. I have friend study in SMU and she seems to be flying every year to do exchange program. I think it is a good experience.

    Doesn't mean NUS or NTU no good, each have its own strength and weakness.

    I think you can get more info frm the HWZ forum where there is a education forum.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    so what's new??? good things mentioned, bad things keep quiet.

    in singapore, the course being good or not does not matter that much. What is more important is the Institution.

    I will chose NUS anytime over NTU. why?? NTU keeps changing name, so in no time, the name of the institutio in yr degree certificate will no longer be in existence, eg Nanyang University, NTI.... and i heard they will change the name from NTU to donno what, dropping the T (=Technology). fortunately i chose NUS degree when i had a choice back in 1991/2. whew! nowadays u ask people about NTI, who knows, what more from people overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww
    care to enlighten me???
    What kind of LAME reasoning is that???
    Last edited by mervlam; 8th April 2005 at 04:10 AM.

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castlesinthesky
    dude, the reason NTU BUSINESS grads(as reported by the papers) are commanding higher salaries is because they are comparing NTU(DIRECT) HONOURS students with NUS BBA(aka NON HONOURS) students.

    not every NUS business student gets to do honours.
    DUDE....

    i believe the reference (http://www.ntu.edu.sg/corpcomms2/rel...20release).pdf) are saying NTU Graduates in general command a higher pay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Castlesinthesky
    In fact who cares, a chicken rice seller with no educational qualifications is raking in big bucks, who ever told him to choose nus or ntu for a course? he has his greatest course. Life.
    That i agree.... an even bigger university, LIFE university... kekeke
    Last edited by mervlam; 8th April 2005 at 04:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •