Thread: Any tip on waterproofing canvas camera bags?

Default Any tip on waterproofing canvas camera bags?

Read that it is possible to improve water resistance of camera bags made of canvas, e.g. Domke, Safrotto, Mekko, etc.
    From 3M's website, 3 types of spray are recommended:

Scotchgard™ Fabric Protector
    Scotchgard™ Heavy Duty Water Repellent
    Scotchgard™ Ultra Water Repellent with Mildew Block

Anyone tried it before? Which is most suitable? Any feedback appreciated.

i've seen the product before but have yet to try it. Was tempted to buy it at first but could think of what to water-proof?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Apply onto your camera bags or? Maybe Scott can advise...

Yappy & happy

Most of these work by 'encouraging' any water droplets to bead so that you can shake them off. If the water fails to bead, it may still get into the fabric, hence these treatments only offer a level of water resistance.

Most are aerosol or spray based, but I generally stay away from the wash-in ones. So far, I've only used Gore's DWR polymer spray with my windstopper pullover and gore-tex jacket. Becoz its polymer based, I had to wet the garments thoroughly before spraying it on. Once done, the garments needed to be spun dried in the dryer as heat is needed to activate the polymer. The advantage of the polymer based spray is if the beading starts to wear off, all that needs to be done is to wet the garment and throw it in the dryer to re-activate it. One application stays good for abt 3-4 re-activations. I got my gear and the spray from Oz, but I think any decent adventure shop in S'pore should have a similar polymer spray or water resistance treatments available. If I recall correctly, the polymer spray cost me abt AUD60 3 yrs ago, so you do the sums. Are there any self-service laundrymats in S'pore with dryers, its been a while since I treated my jackets.
    Last edited by edlye; 9th April 2005 at 11:36 AM.

use lot and lots of starch and iron them! (dont flame me)

Quote Originally Posted by Guncon
    Read that it is possible to improve water resistance of camera bags made of canvas, e.g. Domke, Safrotto, Mekko, etc.
    From 3M's website, 3 types of spray are recommended:

Scotchgard™ Fabric Protector
    Scotchgard™ Heavy Duty Water Repellent
    Scotchgard™ Ultra Water Repellent with Mildew Block

Anyone tried it before? Which is most suitable? Any feedback appreciated.
    No 2 above works well for me. My waterproof raincoat of 2 years got worn out and makes me wet on rainy days...after I spray on scotch...good to use again

Default A big trash bag..

Sorry if this suggestion sounds a bit out of place... but thats what i do... Put one nicely folded trash bag and when it starts raining... you know what to do....

Quote Originally Posted by khnglh
    Sorry if this suggestion sounds a bit out of place... but thats what i do... Put one nicely folded trash bag and when it starts raining... you know what to do....

Haha...that's what I do too....big black trash bag.