Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentax / Ricoh monthly outing - 14 april 2013 - Pls share your photo here!

Default Re: Pentax / Ricoh monthly outing - 14 april 2013 - Pls share your photo here!

The Hot astract....

OK last pic from me...
    lets guess...1 word.........Pentaxian.......=

Last edited by nik34; 16th April 2013 at 12:19 AM.
    PENTAX l OldKMan

That's look like stone.. Not Rock...

Default Re: Pentax / Ricoh monthly outing - 14 april 2013 - Pls share your photo here!

didnt get any photos at all due to the morning rain. nevertheless it was a great outing where i managed to learn quite a few tips from edutilos.

thanks for the ride from LP as well. much appreciated!

hope to have more sharing session for future pentax outings! good idea and i feel it was well implemented.

Last edited by Greg0222; 16th April 2013 at 09:36 PM.

processed a few more to share.

I want to thanks edutilos for sharing his knowledge on that day. it had been an eye opener for a landscape dummy like me.

Such a pity couldn't stay on till the bedok reservoir session.

Thanks to edutilos for the exp sharing, make the morning session very meaningful despite the thundery shower

Many thanks to pinholecam for initiative, fengwei for continuous dedication and edutilos for his knowledge, learnt alot from this meetup. what a turnout despite it's not the most easiest of location to go! Here's a couple I did.

Edutilos the main guest speaker

The turnout

The next guest speaker!

Just before the storm that came pouring. caught in the shelter with simon, richard and philip, thanks to bernard for bringing the umbrella!
    Last edited by wonglp; 17th April 2013 at 12:53 AM.

btw edutilos what is the app to check the location of the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    btw edutilos what is the app to check the location of the sun?
    Here you go: The Photographer's Ephemeris

Like I mentioned, there's an App for iOS. Think that one costs money though? For me, I haven't actually used it extensively. It's especially useful for certain locations overseas, such as caves being lit up by the setting sun... Or waterfalls catching the light. I remember one example of the falls catching the fiery light of the sun as it set, really beautiful, like lava flowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Here you go: The Photographer's Ephemeris

Like I mentioned, there's an App for iOS. Think that one costs money though? For me, I haven't actually used it extensively. It's especially useful for certain locations overseas, such as caves being lit up by the setting sun... Or waterfalls catching the light. I remember one example of the falls catching the fiery light of the sun as it set, really beautiful, like lava flowing down.
    cool thanks a lot... will check it out later when i'm home

btw a follow up question on liquify techniques... you mentioned that you will resize to 1600px before you do liquify. so does it means the highest res version of the corrected image that you have is only 1600 pixels long?

what if you want to have the original res (eg 4230x3290) file with corrected horizon?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    cool thanks a lot... will check it out later when i'm home

btw a follow up question on liquify techniques... you mentioned that you will resize to 1600px before you do liquify. so does it means the highest res version of the corrected image that you have is only 1600 pixels long?

what if you want to have the original res (eg 4230x3290) file with corrected horizon?

thanks.
    Oh yes, thanks for reminding.

In CS5 at least, and earlier versions, the brush size is capped at a maximum - it's 1500 pixels for CS5. If you use 1500 pixel brush to drag the elements around to correct distortion, this isn't going to give a smooth result at times. Thankfully there is a way to overcome this.

1. Resize the picture to 1600pixels longest edge (or to taste)
    [Note: Please don't forget to save, it is probably a better practice to DUPLICATE THE IMAGE to avoid ending up losing the large size file]

2. Drag it out so that it looks ok in the small version. DO NOT PRESS OK. Click "Save Mesh", and save this as a file somewhere.

3. Go back to the original size picture, open Liquify Tool, and click "Load Mesh", loading the file saved in step 2.

4. You may need to make some fine tweaks on the large version. Unlikely after you have practised this a number of times and gotten the hang of it. I almost never do.

Sorry guys for late update here. I've been busy and lazy in the past week, didn't have time/mood to look at my photos until today

Anyway, thanks for all who came over for the outing. Pity the weather wasn't really the best, but I'm sure we all had some fun there. And thanks to WK for a very nice sharing session. We should do this more often

Here are the group photos as usual:

Didn't even take out camera until the sharing session. Manage to grab a few shots at the action side.

Lawrence's live demo of 'shooting the stones' (should have used RAW, the red shirt looks really bad in JPG):

Pros in action:

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    [SIZE=2]processed a few more to share.

Excellent series, Des. This is really the best tele combo from Pentax in production:

This is one of the rare occasions that there were more Pentaxians than any other brands combined together

I guess the DA50-135 is a bit too short for this kind of actions:

I'll end w/ a series w/ this friendly skier:

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Oh yes, thanks for reminding.

In CS5 at least, and earlier versions, the brush size is capped at a maximum - it's 1500 pixels for CS5. If you use 1500 pixel brush to drag the elements around to correct distortion, this isn't going to give a smooth result at times. Thankfully there is a way to overcome this.

1. Resize the picture to 1600pixels longest edge (or to taste)
    [Note: Please don't forget to save, it is probably a better practice to DUPLICATE THE IMAGE to avoid ending up losing the large size file]

2. Drag it out so that it looks ok in the small version. DO NOT PRESS OK. Click "Save Mesh", and save this as a file somewhere.

3. Go back to the original size picture, open Liquify Tool, and click "Load Mesh", loading the file saved in step 2.

4. You may need to make some fine tweaks on the large version. Unlikely after you have practised this a number of times and gotten the hang of it. I almost never do.
    great info! so that's the secret to using liquify. will try it out next time

Dunno if you guys realize it or not, in particular this guy

is none other that the former Formula 1 driver from Malaysia, Alex Yoong! Currently he is hosting the F1 show on Fox Sports channel on race day.
    Last edited by MagnumLite; 23rd April 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12