Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

  1. #1
    Member enewmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    167

    Default Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Hi all.

    I have some Tamron and Canon lenses a few years old that look like they need cleaning (inside and out).
    They are in good condition and not dirty (always keep the caps on when not in use). But have some very light spots on the inside of the lens.
    I also have some DSLR aps-c cameras and the sensors look perfect.

    Should I care?
    Where can I find some small simple place that can take the lenses apart and do basic cleaning/lubing?

    I have been using a dry cabinet ~ 45rh

    thanks!
    Canon 550D.
    180mm Macro, DIY Diffuser, 18-270mm zoom, etc.

  2. #2

    Default

    You can do a search for "lens cleaning". But so long as it's not fungus, you should not worry. Opening them up may do more harm than good, and dust will always find a way back in
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member enewmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You can do a search for "lens cleaning". But so long as it's not fungus, you should not worry. Opening them up may do more harm than good, and dust will always find a way back in
    Thanks,.
    For now I won't worry about the very light internal spots.
    But how to check if there is any fungus? What to look for? I mushroom? I never saw fungus on a camera before.

    looks nothing like this:
    Last edited by enewmen; 15th April 2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Canon 550D.
    180mm Macro, DIY Diffuser, 18-270mm zoom, etc.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    if you see smurfs running around, it's likely you have mushrooms.

    meanwhile you can talk to brother Fatigue . he is lenses expert.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enewmen View Post

    Thanks,.
    For now I won't worry about the very light internal spots.
    But how to check if there is any fungus? What to look for? I mushroom? I never saw fungus on a camera before.

    looks nothing like this:
    Fungus has a web-like structure. If it's just spots, it's dust. Worry less, shoot more
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Member enewmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Fungus has a web-like structure. If it's just spots, it's dust. Worry less, shoot more
    This means I wasn't too late getting the dry cabinet. That's good news
    Canon 550D.
    180mm Macro, DIY Diffuser, 18-270mm zoom, etc.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SF/London/Spore
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Bro, try turning up the Temp to bout 20-25 Degrees, then store the lens in cabinet for several days ,then take out,inspect - inspect lens for changes. this will determine if fiungus - saves $$$$
    Put the trubled lens into Dry Cabinet- By itself only . Turning up heat helps but not too long period -7 days max as drys up rubber

  8. #8

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke8448 View Post
    Bro, try turning up the Temp to bout 20-25 Degrees, then store the lens in cabinet for several days ,then take out,inspect - inspect lens for changes. this will determine if fiungus - saves $$$$
    Put the trubled lens into Dry Cabinet- By itself only . Turning up heat helps but not too long period -7 days max as drys up rubber
    Dry cabinets do not control temperature. You're thinking of a wine cabinet.
    Alpha

  9. #9
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by enewmen View Post
    This means I wasn't too late getting the dry cabinet. That's good news
    Yes. Get the dry cabinet bro... afterall it is not the expensive and a good investment.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  10. #10

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by enewmen View Post
    This means I wasn't too late getting the dry cabinet. That's good news
    Hi, mushroom or not, if in doubt, just bring the lenses to peninsula plaza for a check with a shop there.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrlimsy123 View Post

    Hi, mushroom or not, if in doubt, just bring the lenses to peninsula plaza for a check with a shop there.
    Peninsula plaza? Where, other than cathay, they will rip you off and steal? Or you mean peninsula mall? ;-)

    If it's a Canon lens, just bring to csc for a check
    Alpha

  12. #12
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,389

    Default Re: Where to have lenes cleaned in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke8448 View Post
    Bro, try turning up the Temp to bout 20-25 Degrees, then store the lens in cabinet for several days ,then take out,inspect - inspect lens for changes. this will determine if fiungus - saves $$$$
    Put the trubled lens into Dry Cabinet- By itself only . Turning up heat helps but not too long period -7 days max as drys up rubber
    I suspect you mixed up temperature and RH readings. But storing a lens in low humidity will only stop the existing growth, but it will not reverse or remove the grown fungus. Fungus has to be removed since it eats into the glass coating.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •