Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Sony 55 and 65-inch 4k TV prices announced : The Droid Guy

    These are 4 times sharper than the Full HD TVs presently sold. Price was the barrier. Now Sony has found a way to reduce price significantly. Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung and Sharp have announced 4K TVs.

    Not sure whether Singtel and Starhub can transmit 4K TV signals.

    Even at the "reduced" price, it is expensive for us normal people.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 14th April 2013 at 09:40 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    thought they not making TV anymore?
    Objection !!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Sony 55 and 65-inch 4k TV prices announced : The Droid Guy

    These are 4 times sharper than the Full HD TVs presently sold. Price was the barrier. Now Sony has found a way to reduce price significantly. Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung and Sharp have announced 4K TVs.

    Not sure whether Singtel and Starhub can transmit 4K TV signals.

    Even at the "reduced" price, it is expensive for us normal people.
    Don't waste money on TV. How many years before we get HD contents from broadcasters? You see, there are costs for contents. As long as there is no mass markets adoption of 4K TVs, there is unlikely to be 4K content. I heard from a friend that even the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound is not true surround and is simulated cos it is cheaper for broadcasters to purchase. I see a lot 3D TVs being sold. I assumed can only be used for DVDs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Needs and practical use got little to do with the BUY decision.

    Ego takes over. Human beings like to acsi and show off.

    Most times we do not need the latest tech gadget. The more expensive it is, the better.

    Then people can demonstrate that they have arrived.

    It is just an ego trip during Chinese Lunar New Year or Hari Raya when relatives come visiting. People show their new 4K TVs.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 14th April 2013 at 08:24 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Don't waste money on TV. How many years before we get HD contents from broadcasters? You see, there are costs for contents. As long as there is no mass markets adoption of 4K TVs, there is unlikely to be 4K content. I heard from a friend that even the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound is not true surround and is simulated cos it is cheaper for broadcasters to purchase. I see a lot 3D TVs being sold. I assumed can only be used for DVDs.
    How can there be mass market adoption when manufacturers are not making the 4k TVs affordable? HD content provided by your broadcasters are still HD but on a much lower bit rate. The same apply for surround sound they provide. The reason for lower bit rate is they are much easier to transmit.

  6. #6

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    my friend told me to get a 4K TV for my bedroom when i was searching for one.

    i told her she was nuts.



    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    thought they not making TV anymore?
    where did you get that from

    i just bought a Sony TV.

    are they going to cease warranty support? T_T

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Think they are not producing the LCD panels but still assembling and selling TV.

  8. #8
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    The adoption for full HD / movie bluray is still very weak despite the many full HD TVs sold. The pricing for bluray is still not what the average consumer would want casually shop and buy. 4k TV is not going to move anywhere with the lack of broadcasting contents , and 4k movies are an expensive novelty not to mention rarity.

    But I would think PC gaming / graphics users would gladly drive the market for 4k PC panels when they become more *affordable*

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    People show their new 4K TVs.
    Got TV to see but no contents to show

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post

    Got TV to see but no contents to show
    Watch TV.

  10. #10

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    I remember being in Amsterdam last year for the International Broadcast Conference where sony unveiled their first pre-production 4K TV. The very next day, the announcement of 8K UHD TV was made.

  11. #11

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Needs and practical use got little to do with the BUY decision.

    Ego takes over. Human beings like to acsi and show off.

    Most times we do not need the latest tech gadget. The more expensive it is, the better.

    Then people can demonstrate that they have arrived.

    It is just an ego trip during Chinese Lunar New Year or Hari Raya when relatives come visiting. People show their new 4K TVs.
    exactly

  12. #12

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    thought they not making TV anymore?
    I believe they don't produce the LCD TV/monitor panels any more (they just terminated their JV with Sharp that produces LCD panels mid last year, with Sony selling their share to Sharp)... so they have to buy the panels from suppliers, I believe these panels come from LG, and produce the finished product...

  13. #13
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony


  14. #14

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    OEM...



    you do know how China's companies managed to copy everyone right?


  15. #15
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    OEM...



    you do know how China's companies managed to copy everyone right?

    While they likely cannot compare with the big boys in terms of specifications or even ? durability.
    their pricing ( if they can deliver ) have shortened the duration for adoption of 4k panels by 1-2 yrs.

  16. #16

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

    i just bought a Sony TV.

    are they going to cease warranty support? T_T
    Sony retreats from making TVs - FT.com
    Objection !!!

  17. #17

  18. #18

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    not everyone thinks like you.

    that's why there're still people who get sucked into the marketing talk.

    also one more thing... some specifications are beneficial. not everyone wants a TV that can't function well with other products.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: New and lower priced 4K TVs from Sony

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    my friend told me to get a 4K TV for my bedroom when i was searching for one.

    i told her she was nuts.




    The positive interpretation is that she was hinting that she wanted to give you a 4K TV as a present.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •