Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Use of photo on blog

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ang Mo Jio
    Posts
    78

    Default Use of photo on blog

    Hi there, not sure if I posted in the correct forum.

    Do correct me if I'm wrong.

    I just received an email from the STB (Singapore Tourism Board) requesting the use of my photo on my blog for their Facebook page.

    Is there any steps I should take to to prevent misuse? Meaning I allow them to use the photo.

    Ps. It won't be spam right? The email.

  2. #2

    Default

    You can reply them and tell them you appreciate their interest, and that you do sell your photos for such purposes. You can offer them a price and grant them a 2 years Royalty-free usage of the image. Draft up a RF agreement and get them to sign it and pay you the cheque if they are agreeable to the price. You can visit stock website to get a rough idea of how much to charge for similar type and size of photo required.

    I will not give them the image for free. STB have got budget and I will not entertain any reply such as "we don't have budget but we will credit you for the photo".....

    That's what I will do if I am in your situation
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ang Mo Jio
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Hi there, thanks!

    But would they still pay for a single image? Because they only offered to credit me and my blog in any way that I prefer.


    Roughly how much would be for a single image? I checked and its roughly only a dollar or two per photo? Haha

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Quote Originally Posted by Netforce View Post
    Hi there, thanks!

    But would they still pay for a single image? Because they only offered to credit me and my blog in any way that I prefer.


    Roughly how much would be for a single image? I checked and its roughly only a dollar or two per photo? Haha
    that depends on who is the contributor and also does the photos buyer has bought credit package,
    FYI, download the small size image of my stock photos is only US$9.00 for casual buyer pay in cash. but yes, the royalty is about 15-20% of the selling price.

    lets face it, once you ask for money, likelihood they will just move on to find photos from others, unless your photo is really drop-dead-tok-gong-no-horse-run.
    there are so many people are hope to get their photos being feature anyway.
    Last edited by catchlights; 12th April 2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    If photographer is not poor, then a few dollars paid by STB is not attractive.

    If photographer is a rich hobbyist, then he much rather have the photo credited to him. Fame is more important to him than say, $10.

    Is it likely that STB will pay you >$10,000 to use your photo?

    What do you think?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    take the money, even for $80-$150 or $200

    trust me, unless your photo is really drop-dead-tok-gong-no-horse-run as catchlights say,
    i will not click your blog link , or drag cut and paste your www. and go to your website and see lah hahahaah

    so there will be no traffic leading to your site since your photo is not a xmm in lingerie

  7. #7

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    lets face it, once you ask for money, likelihood they will just move on to find photos from others, unless your photo is really drop-dead-tok-gong-no-horse-run.
    there are so many people are hope to get their photos being feature anyway.
    the sad thing is, its not because no budget. but that the paperwork for civil service when money is involved , is such a pain that the civil servant would rather just skip the hassle.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  8. #8

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    the sad thing is, its not because no budget. but that the paperwork for civil service when money is involved , is such a pain that the civil servant would rather just skip the hassle.
    Hmmm, that actually sounds worse to me.

    "We HAVE the money. I just can't be bothered to do the paperwork to pay you."

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    There was once a person interested to buy my photos, I direct him to my stock portfolio, telling him he can download from there, but he is reluctant to buy credits from my agency and want to deal direct.

    I simply ignore him, I will not breach the contract with my agency for earning extra of a few dollars.



    there are many people looking for photos for free for cheap, and there are many people giving photos away for free.

    we keep saying supply and demand, so, if there are plenty of free photos out there, who still need to pay for the photos?

    on the other hand, if there is no or very little supply of free photos, will this trend move the freeloaders to the buyer?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    You can reply them and tell them you appreciate their interest, and that you do sell your photos for such purposes. You can offer them a price and grant them a 2 years Royalty-free usage of the image. Draft up a RF agreement and get them to sign it and pay you the cheque if they are agreeable to the price. You can visit stock website to get a rough idea of how much to charge for similar type and size of photo required.

    I will not give them the image for free. STB have got budget and I will not entertain any reply such as "we don't have budget but we will credit you for the photo".....

    That's what I will do if I am in your situation

    Do you understand what is royalty free licence mean?

    there are few thousands of Singapore theme royalty free images out there and there is not time limit, and it starts from $0.28 if photo buyers have a yearly credit subscriptions account with the stock library, and they just simply don't want to buy from them.
    Last edited by catchlights; 13th April 2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Quote Originally Posted by Netforce View Post
    Hi there, not sure if I posted in the correct forum.

    Do correct me if I'm wrong.

    I just received an email from the STB (Singapore Tourism Board) requesting the use of my photo on my blog for their Facebook page.

    Is there any steps I should take to to prevent misuse? Meaning I allow them to use the photo.

    Ps. It won't be spam right? The email.
    How to prevent misuse?

    beside ask them to state clear the usage of your photo, and trust them...... what else you can do?


    stock agency have legal team to take care of this btw.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Well photo credits nowadays, heh, to industry people in the know, they will look at the publisher and see; if big time grossy magazine or channel, yeah, this guy is probably a big deal. Smaller companies or media, they go hmmm.... is this guy.... did he... fell for the 'for exposure' trick... hmmm... And to the common everyday person subjected to tens and hundreds of images and media everyday, that name accompanying the image is as invisible as the white border of the page. In fact, the page numbers get noticed more than photographer's names.

    It is unlikely for STB to misuse your photo. Ask yourself, do you want to charge money? If you do then charge and see if they bite. If they don't then they won't use your photo. Will you be disappointed? Is being credited more important to you?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights

    Do you understand what is royalty free licence mean?

    there are few thousands of Singapore theme royalty free images out there and there is not time limit, and it starts from $0.28 if photo buyers have a yearly credit subscriptions account with the stock library, and they just simply don't want to buy from them.
    Paiseh, RF no time limit, RM then have, type too quick already...

    On a side note, many people do license their photos requested at instances like this as Rights Managed, so they can re-license it again in the future either as a RF or RM without limitations once the current license expires. However like what u guys mentioned, it seems highly unlikely that STB will be willing to fork out money in this case.......

    Frankly if it's me, I won't bother abt the credits. Ask yourself, how often you look at photo credits on the web or publications? Who shot the pictures on the front page of the Singapore Map that u see everywhere? Or even pictures of its insert?

    I think everyone should stick to "pay if u want to use" principle, unless it's for some charitable causes. TS if you managed to sell the pic at the end of the day, you can declare big big on your blog with a bold caption next to your pic "Published on STB website" to sell yourself. It is much much better than having the free loader credit u on their page, which 99% of viewers don't bother at all.
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    >TS if you managed to sell the pic at the end of the day, you can declare big big on your blog with a bold caption next to your pic "Published on STB website" to sell yourself. It is much much better than having the free loader credit u on their page, which 99% of viewers don't bother at all.

    If used for FREE and credited, TS canot put on his blog as 'Published on STB website'..??

  15. #15

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Quote Originally Posted by saberlancer View Post
    >TS if you managed to sell the pic at the end of the day, you can declare big big on your blog with a bold caption next to your pic "Published on STB website" to sell yourself. It is much much better than having the free loader credit u on their page, which 99% of viewers don't bother at all.

    If used for FREE and credited, TS canot put on his blog as 'Published on STB website'..??
    Of course he can bro, unless someone pays huge money for all rights of the image. He will always hold the copyright to the image. But if the picture was given for free, I will most likely diam diam in one corner and keep shooting more......

    YMMV

  16. #16

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Frankly when I think back to the times when I was only doing it for hobby, I too was proud that my photos were used on important sites and viewed by thousands each day, when I placed in competition and pics were used and displayed for free, I was happy too. Now that I am doing it for a living, the perception all changed and getting paid work is more important and people asking for free work could sometimes even sound insulting when you think among the lines of you are a taxi driver, come drive me around for free for a day or you are a cook, now cook for free this dinner for me. Thus if you present yourself as professional and always seek compensation for your work done, people will eventually respect that. If you present yourself as an amateur who seek fun and satisfaction for work done, then people will appreciate you in that manner too and continued to view you as that until you tell them otherwise. The problem is when you are not sure of who you are or simply just inbetween, then you are confused, they are confused too. Payment or photo credit, choose one or none. If you get both its a bonus. If you get none, you lost nothing.
    Last edited by sjackal; 14th April 2013 at 01:16 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  17. #17

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    I think sjackal hit the nail on the head. If you're doing this for fun, it's great to have someone like STB feature your work. If you're a pro, this is your product and you have to decide if you're going to give your product for free.

    I'm not a pro photographer but I do have clients in my line of work that ask for freebies. Sometimes, I say yes because it's part of relationship building. Sometimes, I say no because its unreasonable or they are just trying their luck. In the latter case, I always ask them: Do you work for free?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Use of photo on blog

    Quote Originally Posted by Netforce View Post
    Hi there, not sure if I posted in the correct forum.

    Do correct me if I'm wrong.

    I just received an email from the STB (Singapore Tourism Board) requesting the use of my photo on my blog for their Facebook page.

    Is there any steps I should take to to prevent misuse? Meaning I allow them to use the photo.

    Ps. It won't be spam right? The email.
    Charge them heaven and earth.

    The fact that they request your photo means it is very very very special and cannot obtain in microstock.

    This may be your few chances to make a killing.

    Good luck!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •