Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petition against movie ticket price hike.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng
    no need to boycott la, just download or buy p-version.
    haha.. msia buy p. dvds at onli $2-$4 onli... cheap like hell..... better... lol.... some old movies even have the same quality as the original ones... lol... isint it better ??

and !! no censor sommore !! so u wun miss some of the parts that our dear censorship board cut out...

Not in Singapore at the moment. The gahmen is behind the price increases? Since when were we an centrally-controlled economy... oh wait...

Anyway, don't like the price, don't go watch movies in the cinema. Simple. We really should find other healthy and fulfilling ways to spend our precious leisure time.

Find it really amusing that petitions against movie price hikes are the extent of political activity in Singapore... while REAL issues go unnoticed or unchallenged.

Ooops. Not supposed to discuss politics in ClubSNAP. Also not supposed to mention pirated stuff (see previous posts) in this forum. Mods, better close this thread and delete it.

actually if petitions work, i'd rather petition for cheaper housing and cars

If you dun support the hike, sign the petition.

Try to keep this thread for it intended purpose.. which to let the cinema owner know we are not happy with the hike.

Dun mention government or piracy here leh...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    Movie prices in Singapore are considerably cheaper than many countries out of South-East Asia, example US, Australia or most of Europe.

Here, student price is AU$10.50! Normal price is around $14, except on $5 Tuesdays. And most of the theatres arn't as nice and comfortable as those found in Singapore (Cineleisure, GV).

I guess as cost of living goes up, other prices have to go up also. No choice. I don't think the idea of a petiton will work. Just boycott and watch rental DVDs/VCDs.

We might think cost of living is very high in Singapore, but apart from property/housing and cars, everything is comparatively very cheap, compared with other developed nations.
    Yes, but you have to understand that in Aussie's case, everything is much higher as well.. the salary, the food, the taxes, the works.

IMHO, it would be a little inaccurate to just compare the pricing of movie tickets across the 2 countries. Just my humble POV.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    To add fuel to this fire, you should come to the movie theatres here in Bangkok... Every one of them is so ellaborately decorated and they spend a few million baht on each theatre room itself... (My classmate is the daughter of the owner of the EGV chain here in Bangkok so the info is pretty accurate... ) Also have different classes of seats too... And... its still cheaper than S'pore itself... tsk tsk tsk.
    it is cheaper than singapore but it is expensive compare to the cost of living in thailand leh

agree with you that the cinema looks so much newer and high-tech than singapore, esp the EGV at world trade center area, i think that outlet is the best in bangkok right?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    I guess as cost of living goes up, other prices have to go up also. No choice. I don't think the idea of a petiton will work. Just boycott and watch rental DVDs/VCDs.

We might think cost of living is very high in Singapore, but apart from property/housing and cars, everything is comparatively very cheap, compared with other developed nations.
    Everything in Singapore is comparatively cheap with other developed nations.... Somehow, it seems that many bros are complaining dat our pay is equally cheap as well

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Yes, but you have to understand that in Aussie's case, everything is much higher as well.. the salary, the food, the taxes, the works.

IMHO, it would be a little inaccurate to just compare the pricing of movie tickets across the 2 countries. Just my humble POV.
    Actually, I sort of agree that prices of tickets are actually quite cheap in Singapore already. In Taiwan, ticket at the Warner cineplex is around S$15 on a weekday and can go up to S$20 on a weekend. In S.Korea, it's around $15 too. That's almost twice as much as what it cost here in Singapore, but you don't see the prices of other things there being twice as expensive. The price level of most things are actually around the same level as Singapore.

But if you want to really compare insane movie ticket prices, it's ard S$20 at Japanese cinemas... and that's the student discount rate!!!

I don't mind watching movies in Singapore actually, most blockbuster films open either in sync with the US or at least close to the US opening day and seatings/sound/ambience is still quite alright. Only complaint is, the salty popcorns at some cinemas taste like styrofoam.

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    http://www.petitiononline.com/sgmovie/petition.html

If you think the movie ticket is expensive, gues what?

They decided to increase it somemore.
    Yep saw the news on da ST last week. That's really cRazy.. $9 for sunday...

A movie date means $18 for 2 tickets + $1 booking fee + $8 popcorn and drinks (unless you convince the lady its full of carb and sugar and fat and styrofoam) = $27. Even comedy film will make you cry.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG

I won't say salaries are much higher dollar for dollar (not factoring in conversion rates), but taxes are much higher than in Singapore meaning the take home pay is less. Just that housing and cars are more affordable here, so people have more cash to spend.

Also it's a question of what you're used to paying. No one ever likes a price hike, given the choice we would want prices to stay low forever while wages go up. Unfortunately inflation is a reality, and non-increasing wages for some time in Singapore dosen't help. I don't think the gahmen has anything to do with this hike la.

It dosen't make sense to petition everything that comes along that we're unhappy with just becaue it does not suit consumer demand.

ps: Cab fare here is about 3-4 times the cost in Singapore...

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Everything in Singapore is comparatively cheap with other developed nations.... Somehow, it seems that many bros are complaining dat our pay is equally cheap as well
    Yeah, after going overseas then I realise we have it pretty good back home when it comes to many things.

I hate to say this, but I reckon some people complain just for the sake of complaining.

Nowadays few if any movies are worth my time and money to go see it. Recently I listen to the 24th HongKong Movie Awards on RTHK channel. KungFu and 2046 won 6 awards each? Pretty sad when these 2 movies are not even made decently. Last week I went to see the House of Fury, the fighting is not kungfu, more 90% is simple kicks, or should I say low class Americian style fighting. Just a show of kungfu is not martial arts. If touching a person and the person flies away is kungfu and if anyone thinks it is great, it will become a very sad world for the movie industry.

Probably in in future I will not be going to the cinema for movies as standard of the movies does not deceive my money. It is not expensive here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    KungFu and 2046 won 6 awards each? Pretty sad when these 2 movies are not even made decently.
    I dunno about 2046, but i enjoyed Kungfu Hustle thoroughly. Why u say its not decently made?

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought there that there has been oversupply of cinema seats in Singapore for past 8 years or so. If the operators keep raising the tickets prices there will fewer and fewer people watching movies. Instead, people would look for alternative entertainment and this would bring less revenue to the operators. In fact if the oversupply situation still persist they should reduce the prices, instead. Am I missing something?

I, for one, has not stepped into a cinema since the last ticket price increase...

Seems like petition is the 'in' thing going on in CS now.. Can we petition for lower camera and lens prices instead? If possible, I'd gladly sign it...
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

dun pay loh.... i havent been paying for a tix for a year liao, always go for free tix given by microsoft, M1, magazines, etc. they usually give in pairs so can go watch with friend

There might some other countries infact many? Ticket price is higher than us..but for a student like me, spending $20-30 for a show is alot leh , seriously nowadays people don't bother about the price when they wanna catch a movie. Go orchard and you guys should be able to see people queing up to buy tickets "maciam" it's free ?

But cinemas located near housing estate their business might be affected somehow? Don't know why people prefer to go crowded places and watch..like me
    Last edited by Flyingpig; 7th April 2005 at 08:26 AM.

Maybe coz watch with crowd more 'atmosphere' mah...

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    http://www.petitiononline.com/sgmovie/petition.html

If you think the movie ticket is expensive, gues what?

They decided to increase it somemore.
    maybe shd do 1 for ciggies petition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast