Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise on itinerary for 7 day trip in Switzerland

Default Advise on itinerary for 7 day trip in Switzerland

Anyone can give me some advise what to visit and what not-to-miss for 7 days trip in Switzerland?
    I like beautiful scenery as well as architectural.. not so much into culture though.

I am going in this early May.

I come across this website but seems too many beautiful places for me to visit in 7 days..
    Maybe any of you can share some of your experiences where to visit?

Thanks
    Appreciate any comments

Cheers

Default Re: Advise on itinerary for 7 day trip in Switzerland

Hello, I was there last Dec for 8 days; I'll share a few points to start off.

1. I presume you are entering into Zurich, flying directly from S'pore? 3 popular cities of interest are Luzern (Luzerne), Interlaken & Zermatt. Luzern is an hour by train. Interlaken, about an hour plus from Luzern & Zermatt, 2 hours from Interlaken. You could stay a night in Luzern, and two in Interlaken & two in Zermatt.

2. Places of interests include: Lion Monument; Lake Cruise; Old City walkabout & Mount Titlis in Luzern. Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe) & Grindenwald in Interlaken. Glacier Paradise & Gornegrat to see the Matterhorn mountain in Zermatt.

3. I suggest you go directly to Luzern from Zurich upon arrival, rather than stay at Zurich first. Arrival at Zurich from S'pore is at about 7 am & if you go directly to Luzern, you still have 3/4 of a day to explore the city. You could skip Mount Titlis if you plan to go to Interlaken or Zermatt which are mountaineous areas. However, if you prefer to see more in one locality & for picturesque photo-taking, I recommend Zermatt, which is about 4 hours by train directly from Zurich.

4. I have posted some photos of my trip in CS, in photomalaysia.com and in flickr - you can look them up if you like. My posted photos from the 550D, S100 & S95 are plain, only lightly edited with iPhoto. We took a few thousand photos within the 8 days...haha! The winter sceneries were spectacularly beautiful, especially in Zermatt.

Please upload your photos for us to see when you return from this beautiful country.

Last edited by macVince; 12th April 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: To condense & answer more to the point

Thank you macVince for your advise..

I have shortlisted places to cover in Switzerland which are: Lucerne - St.Moritz - Interlaken - Zermatt - Montreux.

my brief itinerary would be:
    Entering into either Zurich or Basel (depending on the cheapest flight fare) from Amsterdam (not from Singapore as i have business trip prior to that).
    upon arrival directly go to Lucerne (stay 2 nights) --> is it worth of 2 nights here?
    then travel to St.Moritz (1 night) --> anyone can advise if this place worth visiting? or should i skip this one?
    after that to Interlaken (2 nights)
    follow by Zermatt (2 nights)
    and then Montreux (1 night)
    then go to Geneva to fly off to Paris

MacVince, may i know why you advise to skip Mt.Titlis if plan to go to Interlaken/Zermatt. is it because not as beautiful as the latter?

another few questions:
    - Is it safe to stay in hostel if i bring some of my gear along? or any advise for the accommodation?
    - Should we buy all the transport tickets from here or get it there? i am interested to get Swiss Flexi Pass but max only for 6 days whereas my stay could be up to 8days
    - Any other tips/advise for first timer?

Sure, definitely will share my pics when i'm back

Many many thanks for any comments and feedback..
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by guseliz View Post
    Thank you macVince for your advise..

I have shortlisted places to cover in Switzerland which are: Lucerne - St.Moritz - Interlaken - Zermatt - Montreux.

my brief itinerary would be:
    Entering into either Zurich or Basel (depending on the cheapest flight fare) from Amsterdam (not from Singapore as i have business trip prior to that).
    upon arrival directly go to Lucerne (stay 2 nights) --> is it worth of 2 nights here?
    then travel to St.Moritz (1 night) --> anyone can advise if this place worth visiting? or should i skip this one?
    after that to Interlaken (2 nights)
    follow by Zermatt (2 nights)
    and then Montreux (1 night)
    then go to Geneva to fly off to Paris

MacVince, may i know why you advise to skip Mt.Titlis if plan to go to Interlaken/Zermatt. is it because not as beautiful as the latter?

another few questions:
    - Is it safe to stay in hostel if i bring some of my gear along? or any advise for the accommodation?
    - Should we buy all the transport tickets from here or get it there? i am interested to get Swiss Flexi Pass but max only for 6 days whereas my stay could be up to 8days
    - Any other tips/advise for first timer?

Sure, definitely will share my pics when i'm back

Many many thanks for any comments and feedback..
    Cheers
    1. Basel or Zurich to Luzern is straightforward, so is Luzern to Interlaken. To get from Interlaken to Zermatt, a change of train is at VISP; also convenient to do. From Zermatt to Visp and on to Montreux and further to Geneva is fine, since all three cities are in the south-western side of the country. But St. Moritz is off to the eastern part of Switzerland; therefore, it will not be convenient for you to make a detour with only 7-8 days in total. It is best you skip it since mountain sceneries in Jungfrau and Zermatt will compensate for it with more. If you intend to visit Interlaken & Zermatt, visiting Mt. Titilis in Luzern only adds another mountain, and will take up time; probably a full day.

2. I bought an 8-day Swiss Pass out of convenience. I was travelling with my family and didn't want to waste time to buy train, boat cruise and bus tickets at each point when I have lugguage. It works out to about S$50/day/person. To compare, if you buy a single train ticket from Zurich airport to Luzern, it is about 15 CHF (xchg 1.35 approx). The Swiss Passes got me discounts from 30-50% when going up the mountains as these mountain cog-trains and cable-car tickets are charged separately.

3. I assume hostels in Switzerland are safe, just as the country is safe. I stayed in hotels for the convenience of breakfast being included, and for my family's sake as these are within easy reach of the train stations. And I booked the hotel in Luzern from booking.com online before I left Singapore, and onward hotel bookings in the same way at each city.

4.AMS-BSL and GVA-ORY would likely be around $150-$200 one way by "easyjet.com". Note: Easyjet goes to ORY airport and not CDG in Paris.

5. Food wise, you can eat a good meal at COOP or MIGROS supermarket restaurants for a more reasonable price. If you like trains, there's a transport museum in Luzern. The Swiss Pass will get you a free entrance.

I hope the above info is useful to you. You can see a few photos of Luzern, Jungfrau & Zermatt areas here. Enjoy your trip & take many photos.
    Last edited by macVince; 15th April 2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Trim down

Quote Originally Posted by macVince View Post
    1. If you view a simple map of Switzerland, Basel or Zurich to Luzern is straightforward, so is Luzern to Interlaken. To get from Interlaken to Zermatt, a change of train is at VISP; also convenient to do. From Zermatt to Visp and on to Montreux and further to Geneva is fine, since all three cities are in the south-western side of the country. But St. Moritz is off to the eastern part of Switzerland; therefore, it will not be convenient for you to make a detour with only 7-8 days in total. Moreover, I asked a friend who just returned from a few months' stay in Zurich, & has visited St. Moritz, for an opinion. It is best you skip it since mountain sceneries in Jungfrau and Zermatt will compensate for it with more. If you intent to visit Interlaken & Zermatt, visiting Mt. Titilis in Luzern only adds another mountain, and will take up time; probably a full day. You could do the old city walk, Lake Luzern cruise, Lion Monument, Chapel Bridge & more instead at sea-level. In my view, staying a night at Luzern should be enough if you plan & time your visits to Luzern places of interest well.

2. I bought an 8-day Swiss Pass out of convenience. I was travelling with my family and didn't want to waste time to buy train, boat cruise and bus tickets at each point when I have lugguage. It works out to about S$50/day/person. To compare, if you buy a single train ticket from Zurich airport to Luzern, it is about 15 CHF (xchg 1.35 approx). And I bought the passes from "raileurope.com" and collected them from its office in People's Park Center. (I presume you're travelling alone; therefore, you could save some more if you source around. As my trip was planned in 10-12 days flat due to busyness, including buying all the serious winter gears online, I had to pay a bit more for the convenience.) Moreover, the Swiss Passes got me discounts from 30-50% when going up the mountains as these mountain cog-trains and cable-car tickets are charged separately. (Point of Interest: The cable car ride up to Glacier Paradise is a very long ride, and in 3 stages over steep, steep terrain using 2 types of cars. But to experience it and take nice photos, these are treasures of a lifetime to keep.)

3. I assume hostels in Switzerland are safe, just as the country is safe. Not once, I felt threatened within Switzerland's common tourist cities. I can't say that for some other parts of Europe. I stayed in hotels for the convenience of breakfast being included, and for my family's sake as these are within easy reach of the train stations. And I booked the hotel in Luzern from booking.com online before I left Singapore, and onward hotel bookings in the same way at each city. I'm very sure I paid a bit more this way. Normally when I have more lead time, I usually book a few weeks ahead online directly with a hotel I wanted to stay in to secure a better rate. And with AAA or corporate rates or seasonal discounts, it would certainly be cheaper than using an online agent to book.

4. I guess the best way for you to fly in and out will be by "easyjet.com". AMS-BSL and GVA-ORY would likely be around $150-$200 one way. Travelling by full-service carrier like KLM would cost much more I'm sure; but there's always a reason why budget carriers costs less; I'm sure you know the reasons. (Note: Easyjet goes to ORY airport and not CDG in Paris.)

5. Any other tips? Well, food wise, you can eat a good meal at COOP or MIGROS supermarket restaurants for a more reasonable price. If you like trains, there's a transport museum in Luzern. The Swiss Pass will get you a free entrance. Check the weather & be properly clothed for the mountain tops.

I hope the above info is useful to you. You can see a few photos of Luzern, Jungfrau & Zermatt areas here. Enjoy your trip & take many photos. If I had a 5DIII like yourself, I'll probably take 6000 photos in a week instead of 3000...haha! More importantly, this is a Clubsnap forum & not so much a Travel one; therefore, showing us your photos upon returning is what the forum readers look forward to :-)
    Thank you MacVince.. your input indeed very useful to me

You're right i have to skip St.Moritz this time.. it would be inconvenience if i have to force to cover St.Moritz.
    I noticed it would take 8 hours train ride from St.Moritz to Zermatt and the train schedule only available early in the morning (before 5am) so in this case it is not justified to book a hotel for 1 night there..
    I will be traveling with 1 friend and will check with him if we also want to skip Mt.Titlis.

Will check raileurope.com later.. thanks.. i also plan to get the Swiss Pass for my entire swiss trip just for the sake of convenience.

Actually i have sent out an email to MySwitzerland.com to enquiry for their advise and if they can recommend some of their local tour package for each individual places i want to visit..
    I will decide if i want to take their local tour package or not..

Your Switzerland photos are very nice.. but why very few? should have uploaded more to share

Thanks a lot mate... will definitely share my pics to all of you

Thank you MacVince.. your input indeed very useful to me
    Your Switzerland photos are very nice.. but why very few? should have uploaded more to share

Thanks a lot mate... will definitely share my pics to all of you
    Good to hear that the info is useful to you. Thanks for liking the photos. I always consider my photos too plain & simple, and I don't have the skills to process them to the beauty and standard of many here in CS. Thus, I only upload a few for content relevance.

OK, here are some samples of the 1000s I have taken in the 8-day trip. At Schuh Chocolate shop in Interlaken's main street in town, chocolate-making demonstration and tasting sessions are performed in the afternoons - 2 sessions I recall. The 5.00 pm session was just right for our arrival day as we walked around town. The Schuh shop has an adjoining restaurant where many locals and tourists were enjoying chocolates, cakes and brewed coffee in a very relaxing ambience. You might want to visit it.

Last edited by macVince; 15th April 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Trim down

Quote Originally Posted by macVince View Post
    I always consider my photos too plain & simple, and I don't have the skills to process them to the beauty and standard of many here in CS. Thus, I only upload a few for content relevance.
    don't worry i do sometimes feel that way.. i don't have skills to post process.. i rely on my wife's photoshop skills if i need to and she willing to help.. lol.
    but i believe Switzerland has lots of beautiful scenery to capture so hopefully can capture nice one

btw, i got a quotation from the local tour package for 6N/7D with 3 star hotel for about 1400 CHF which includes:
    Swiss Card Golden Pass Line (5 transfers) incl. excursions to Mount Titlis & Jungfraujoch & Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in 1st class from/to Swiss border or airport
    1st class seat reservations for Golden- Pass Panoramic Brünig, BLS + MOB trains --> wondering what's the privilege of 1st class, any idea?
    2 nights in Lucerne, with breakfast
    2 nights in Interlaken, with breakfast
    2 nights in Montreux, with breakfast
    TGV train ticket from Geneva to Paris in 2nd class.
    Any additional tickets for optional excursions to travel by rail, boat, postal- coaches and cable cars can be purchased at 25-50% of the regular fares

What do you think of the price above? too expensive or not?

I am thinking to change my route now.. seems that Montreux doesn't have many highlights/excursion for the tourist and i heard that the accommodation over there also expensive.

MacVince, can i check with you how much roughly all the excursions there, for example: gondola/cable car to Mt.Titlis, Lake Luzern cruise, etc? if we have a Swiss Pass does it give a discount for those excursions?

Many thanks bro

It is not easy for me to comment whether your tour package price is good or not. In my travels, I normally plan my own itineraries because I prefer not to be rushed by tour schedules. Also, opportunities to take photos, detour to see less touristy places etc. will be hampered when with a tour group. On the other hand, some will find it convenient if they don't want the hassle of detailed planning or are not confident to venture out unguided. So you have to decide which travel style fits you best.

Swiss passes will definitely get you discounts when going up mountains. This can be up to 50%. You can sample the prices on sites like www.zermatt.ch. Switzerland is very advanced & orderly, all info are readily available online if you google for them.
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Understand..
    Yap i agree.. actually the package i was quoted is Free and Easy customized for my request.
    They are independent tours without tour guide. I can avail my tour program as per my convenient timings. so i won't be rushed or hampered by the group

I just need to make sure i got all the accommodation and tickets/pass available for me beforehand so when i travel everything is set for me.

I see you have quite a packed itinerary already.

If you like cheese and cheese fondue, try to go to Gruyere by the local train. From the Gruyere cheese factory, you can take a short walk up a hill to the Gruyere medieval town and castle. Very nice views. Besides the majestic Alps mountain ranges, the Gruyere trip stood out as one of my favorite memories of Switzerland.

See the website here:
    Tourism, travel, holiday - La Gruyère Tourism - Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by chooz View Post
    I see you have quite a packed itinerary already.

If you like cheese and cheese fondue, try to go to Gruyere by the local train. From the Gruyere cheese factory, you can take a short walk up a hill to the Gruyere medieval town and castle. Very nice views. Besides the majestic Alps mountain ranges, the Gruyere trip stood out as one of my favorite memories of Switzerland.

See the website here:
    Tourism, travel, holiday - La Gruyère Tourism - Switzerland
    I decided not to take any local tour and will explore myself at my convenience..
    As suggested by bro MacVince probably i will not cover so many mountains as the view i think more or less are the same..

your suggestion to this Gruyere seems interesting.. i think i will still have some spare times if not cover many mountains i'll definitely want to cover this..
    May i know how to go here? is it on the way from Montreux to Bern by local train?

Thanks

I decided not to take any local tour and will explore myself at my convenience..
    As suggested by bro MacVince probably i will not cover so many mountains as the view i think more or less are the same..

your suggestion to this Gruyere seems interesting.. i think i will still have some spare times if not cover many mountains i'll definitely want to cover this..
    May i know how to go here? is it on the way from Montreux to Bern by local train?

Thanks
    Gruyere cheese is world famous, that is, if you like cheese.

I went to Gruyere from Montreux by train. Just a couple of hours ride. The train direction is Montreux to Bulle, change to Gruyere. There is a also a Nestle chocolate factory in Broc, a town near to Gruyere. I bought the "unlimited train pass" (can't remember what exactly it is called) when I was in Switzerland. I just went to the Montreux train station, check for timing to Bulle, and when I reached Bulle, I look for the train to go to Gruyere from there. It was quite simple. I remember I went there in the morning, visited the cheese factory, had cheese fondue lunch and then walked to the medieval town and castle. And came back to Montreux before sunset.

You can go from some other town, not just from Montreux. Just check your map to see where is more convenient for you.

My Gruyere cheese factory and old town photos are here:
    http://www.photoshop.com/users/mlcho...ed5a196#page=5

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by chooz; 22nd April 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chooz View Post
    Gruyere cheese is world famous, that is, if you like cheese.

I went to Gruyere from Montreux by train. Just a couple of hours ride. The train direction is Montreux to Bulle, change to Gruyere. There is a also a Nestle chocolate factory in Broc, a town near to Gruyere. I bought the "unlimited train pass" (can't remember what exactly it is called) when I was in Switzerland. I just went to the Montreux train station, check for timing to Bulle, and when I reached Bulle, I look for the train to go to Gruyere from there. It was quite simple. I remember I went there in the morning, visited the cheese factory, had cheese fondue lunch and then walked to the medieval town and castle. And came back to Montreux before sunset.

You can go from some other town, not just from Montreux. Just check your map to see where is more convenient for you.

My Gruyere cheese factory and old town photos are here:
    Album - 2008 Switzerland (Oct) | Photoshop.com

Good luck and have fun!
    Nice pics.. Thanks for sharing.
    We'll see if i have time to visit that place..

Thanks

Hello Guseliz, are you all set to go? Have a good trip. Looking forward to seeing the photos when you're back.

bro get a lonely planet book, i always get one whenever i travel, get one u naturally u will know what to do.
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

I am writing this from here in Zermatt, Switzerland.
    All i can say about Switzerland is.. stunning!!

Some things i find from switzerland are:
    - everything close around 6pm whereas (at this time) it only gets dark around 930pm so u can imagine how stress free people are living here.
    - southern part people not as nice and friendly as nothern part.
    - Jungfrauch (top of europe) not worth to visit considering the price and view for those who is looking for best view for taking pics.
    - dont force yourself to cover 2 big mountain in a day. u will end up rushing and catching up with the train schedule hence not really enjoying the moment.
    - food is freaking expensive here.. darn.. no choice since i'm getting sore throat now.

That's all for now..
    Will post pics when i'm back in Singapore

Cheers

I am writing this from here in Zermatt, Switzerland.
    All i can say about Switzerland is.. stunning!!
    (.....etc..)
    That's all for now..
    Will post pics when i'm back in Singapore

Cheers
    Good to hear you've arrived in Zermatt. The month of May is low tourist season, thus shops don't open late like in Dec. And my family & I like Zermatt much more than Jungfrau region for its sceneries. :-)
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Anyone can give me some advise what to visit and what not-to-miss for 7 days trip in Switzerland?
    I like beautiful scenery as well as architectural.. not so much into culture though.

I am going in this early May.

I come across this website but seems too many beautiful places for me to visit in 7 days..
    Maybe any of you can share some of your experiences where to visit?

Thanks
    Appreciate any comments

Cheers
    Suggested :

Days 1-7
    - eats cheese and chocolate.
    - Take Photos.
    - Buy Swiss Watches.

DONE !!
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    Suggested :

Days 1-7
    - eats cheese and chocolate.
    - Take Photos.
    - Buy Swiss Watches.

DONE !!
    I did all that you suggested

I've uploaded some of the pics i took to my flickr
    Here are some of the photos: