Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Montage 2005 - NUSPS

Eng Hong, are there any more seminar ticks?

Quote Originally Posted by jkl
    why? it'll just take longer to judge... u sending in as open or student?
    Student.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorite
    Eng Hong, are there any more seminar ticks?
    yup. About half sold.

hurry.......BUY BUY BUY..........

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    yup. About half sold.

hurry.......BUY BUY BUY..........
    wha.. this one also can use the BBB virus ah... piang ah..win liao la...

Some stats......after 3 days of data entry.........

Open category total entries: 904

Students category entries: 1357

Total number of schools: 50

Hope to see you at the judging.............

wah... that's almost 3 times more than last yr's...

tomorrow issit
    haha too bad got workshop...u all have fun wif it man..

anyone knows what's the most convenient bus to change to if i come down via NEL ?

Post Open Judging

Just came home from the open judging thing. Sooooo long! And the picture is the size of my thumb in perspective of my view.

However, the entries were competitive. But I felt that the theme was too broad, so the judges were choosing what they liked more than what is actually creative.

Just 2 questions for Eng Hong:
    Why wasn't the second round judging for students cat.? (i didnt hear)
    Do you have the winners' names?

Thanks

mine got selected for exhibition only... anyways, better than nothing
    Saiful Bahar - "I don't care what equipment you use... but what you produce"

How many points did you score?

Just 2 questions for Eng Hong:
    Why wasn't the second round judging for students cat.? (i didnt hear)
    Do you have the winners' names?

Thanks
    There was no 2nd round as we had 39 prints for 8, 9 and 10 points and there were about 200 prints for 7 points. The committee decided that we should cut off the students category at 8 points. So we will only be exhibiting 39 prints from the students category.

Winners' names?.........hehe in due time......still got clause #25.

How many points did you score?
    Don't know, i missed the open category judging and left before the 2nd round was held...

Just got a call from the club... another one of my entries won a prize but not in the position to tell me which prize.... so now got 2 out of 4 entries... not bad....

Lightbulb

Somehow my opinions are drastically different from the judges. Those that didnt leave me an impression were the winners. While those i liked and i felt expressed their best lost.

Forgot whether i got an 8 point phyotograph. Perhaps 7.

I appreciate the judges' effort to come down to judge our photographs but personally, i feel that creativity can never be judged. Creativity comes from one's mind. It is his own expression of his feelings and thoughts. Therefore today's judging was more of a luck thing. I do not know about the rest of you, but this is just a 14-year old's reflection.

After all, it is just another photo competition. So cheer up for those who got 3 points for their photographs.

Hi Fluorite,

I was there during the student category judging and my friend was with me and she's a photographer from Indonesia. She did mentioned that the judging was too fast for the judges to take a good look at the creative and/or technical aspect of it. Anyways, there were really too many photos to go through, even I was quite bored looking at the judging as one is not able to give enough timing to appreciate each photos... just my thoughts...

Yes... you get my idea. I have one photograph where ruth and ishak gave me 1 point but bob bothered to take a closer look and gave me a 3. I m not condemning the other 2, but this are my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by saifulbahar
    Hi Fluorite,

I was there during the student category judging and my friend was with me and she's a photographer from Indonesia. She did mentioned that the judging was too fast for the judges to take a good look at the creative and/or technical aspect of it. Anyways, there were really too many photos to go through, even I was quite bored looking at the judging as one is not able to give enough timing to appreciate each photos... just my thoughts...
    If you do go to other judgings......the initial rounds, that is roughly the amount of time your print stays on the judging lightbox.......at most 5 secs. So the winning print must be able to capture the judges eye. I am sure u all saw how the judges requested at times to have a look at the print close up. This never happened last year. And this despite the huge amount of prints. Alot of people fell asleep during the judging, the judges went through ALL 2461 prints. Should see the number of cups of coffee they had to drink.......all cannot sleep tonight.

The judges would only be able to go closer to the prints at the final round at the table where they can actually see the sharpness and grain. This is the crucial factor to choose the winning print other than the original impact of the photo they saw afar. They also had more time at the final table to make their decision.

Just some sharing on the inside info of judging..............

Yes... you get my idea. I have one photograph where ruth and ishak gave me 1 point but bob bothered to take a closer look and gave me a 3. I m not condemning the other 2, but this are my concerns.
    This is the main reason why we have 3, not 1 judge. Beauty is to the eye of the beholder. If we had one judge, won't it be more unfair?

It would be idea to have judges from different professions but unfortunately Mr. Tony Wu was not able to make it for judging thus Mr. Ishak kindly accepted our invitation to judge. Ideally the three judges would have vastly differing opinions and experience. If your picture is able to capture ALL three judges then would it be a truely winning print. If the picture cannot have an unanimous thumbs up from all three judges then would it really count as a winning print?

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    If you do go to other judgings......the initial rounds, that is roughly the amount of time your print stays on the judging lightbox.......at most 5 secs. So the winning print must be able to capture the judges eye. I am sure u all saw how the judges requested at times to have a look at the print close up. This never happened last year. And this despite the huge amount of prints. Alot of people fell asleep during the judging, the judges went through ALL 2461 prints. Should see the number of cups of coffee they had to drink.......all cannot sleep tonight.

The judges would only be able to go closer to the prints at the final round at the table where they can actually see the sharpness and grain. This is the crucial factor to choose the winning print other than the original impact of the photo they saw afar. They also had more time at the final table to make their decision.

Just some sharing on the inside info of judging..............
    well said it's my first time seeing an open judging today and i've learnt lots frm it... really have to select images which are punchy and appealing at first sight... not that e judges cant be bothered to take a closer look at those creative shoots... there are just too many entries to view so most creative ideas tend to be neglected to make way for aesthetically pleasing ones... i was quite upset abt the low score of one of my better pic which was taken frm a not-so-conventional viewpt well to each his own i guess...

anyway have to thank the organising commitee for the well-planned judging... sure was alot of hard work all the best for the up-coming seminar!

That's the nature of Photographic Competiton... at least in Singapore...Its more of 10% skill, 10% creativity and 80% of luck. So its always good to send in more prints of different variety. You never know what sort of picture different judges are looking for...
    Its fortunate enough that this judging is done Openly. There are alot of Highly Prized Photo Competitions held by some clubs and judging are done closed door.... you don't even know what are they judging at!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast