Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: Montage 2005 - NUSPS

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinz
    As far as I could remember the only errors we've noticed, was that of Eng Hong's name (but since it was Eng Hong's, we figured he wouldn't really mind since it was noticed rather late), and the other one was following the original photographer's title entry, since we couln't be sure if it was purposely spelled that way(couldn't contact in the photographer in time, as original media was submitted through snail mail very late), we left it as it is.
    Kenshinz meant that the titled was spelled that way by the photographer and they just copied it exactly the same way as they did not have time to call the photographer to verify if it was deliberately spelled wrongly.

Eng Hong <-so hard to spell meh, who says i dun mind my name being spelt wrongly

As for the overstaturated colors.. prehaps one should have looked at the original prints...the major problems we had was actually trying to match the same saturated colors as the submitted entries, most of which were printed in photo labs.

We reprinted around 20 odd entries as we were not able to get the same colors the 1st time direct from the original media.

Hi EngHong,

Some of the prints were adjusted with the photographer standing behind my com member editing the photograph and they decided that the edited ones look better then their originals so they asked us to print as what they saw on the screens.
    So you knowingly and intentionally modify pictures after the judges have decided on them? How is this different from a dealer demonstrating you one product and putting another one in your bag after you agreed to buy?

Without sponsors, there would be not prints or exhibition. Well, they did sponsor us all the paper and ink, not to mention the printer we have at the DMC, i do not see why we should not recognise them on the labels.
    A small, subtle tagline like "This exhibition was made possible with the generous support of Canikoniminoltax" might generate more goodwill for the company than an advertising pitch (which tends to annoy people). The difference is that in one case the company will be seen as a benefactor for a good cause, and in the other case the company appears to take advantage of the artists for cheap advertising. Just as food for thought ...

Which reminds me of an obituary that appeared some years ago in a newspaper: The name of the company who lamented the departure of one employee was printed larger than the name of the deceased. This obituary was noticed, but probably not with the effect the company had liked.

Can you point to me the spelling errors so i can change the labels.
    I didn't write them down, but I recall e.g. "Mosiac" instead of "Mosaic" and "Nayang" instead of "Nanyang" ... and there were many more. I felt very sad that someone apparently spent a lot of time and effort printing & cutting the labels and finally glueing them to a panel - and it would have taken only a few seconds more for someone else to proofread.

I thought my team was nitpicking, ha aparently we did not nitpick enough........
    It can be difficult to see the obvious if you're deeply involved in the organization. Generally, it is useful to try to see the event from the perspective of an outsider who knows nothing about the exhibition a priori - what will s/he notice? First impressions count the most.

No event will be perfect, and there will always be justified and unjustified criticism. Please take my comments (I know they sound harsh, but I'm trying to get a message across) as an attempt to help improve.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    Hi EngHong,

So you knowingly and intentionally modify pictures after the judges have decided on them? How is this different from a dealer demonstrating you one product and putting another one in your bag after you agreed to buy?
    Hi Littlewolf, we only followed what the participants wanted. They felt exhibiting in a slightly different colour which looks better to them so we complied to their request. It is a good point that we should consult the judges next year on whether colour correction can be made after the results are announced.

No event will be perfect, and there will always be justified and unjustified criticism. Please take my comments (I know they sound harsh, but I'm trying to get a message across) as an attempt to help improve.
    We do accept all comments, the only way to improve. Thank you for helping us............

I didn't write them down, but I recall e.g. "Mosiac" instead of "Mosaic" and "Nayang" instead of "Nanyang" ... and there were many more. I felt very sad that someone apparently spent a lot of time and effort printing & cutting the labels and finally glueing them to a panel - and it would have taken only a few seconds more for someone else to proofread.

Hi Littlewolf, after checking with Kenshinz, the two spelling errors above were inherent from what's written behind the print on the entry form. One of the prints was titled Mosiac and the other exhibitant spelled Nayang.

We will change the labels.

Thank you.

err...can anything be done to the pics that were damaged in the exhibition?
    a few had white specks on it that spoiled the pic...too high up to see clearly whether its torn paper or just dust. really tempted to go wipe it but too high.

i mean if the pics were damaged becoz of improper handling..the least u guyz could do was to print out another one rite?

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    We do accept all comments, the only way to improve.
    Thank you for taking it so positively - and thank you for organizing this event in the first place .

Quote Originally Posted by Mystix
    err...can anything be done to the pics that were damaged in the exhibition?
    a few had white specks on it that spoiled the pic...too high up to see clearly whether its torn paper or just dust. really tempted to go wipe it but too high.

i mean if the pics were damaged becoz of improper handling..the least u guyz could do was to print out another one rite?

Hi Mystix, the white specks you see are dust. As you are viewing them at an acute angle, it is like viewing any piece of glass at an acute angle and all the dust becomes visible. Think we may have to go down with a blower to blow away the dust.

EngHong

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910