Thread: Imac + elements= use aperture or LR

Default Imac + elements= use aperture or LR

Hi just wanted to get se views

Say i am using a imac and most of mu photos are in iphoto currently.

I am going to get PS elements to do some pixel editing.

Given these 2 constants (one pro apple one pro adobe) should i get aperture or lightroom as my organizer and preliminary editor?

Default Re: Imac + elements= use aperture or LR

Lightroom has a trial version, see for yourself within 30 days. Can't recall whether Aperture has the same, just check the website.
    EOS

Thanks... Apple no longer gives free trial unfortunately. Very sad the once underdog is now the vampire squid

My 2 cents. Besides free trials, don't forget long term support. Apple hasn't been very active on the Aperture front whereas Lightroom has a large
    user base with good knowledge you can tap on.

I would go with LR if only for the fact that adobe have years of experience with image editing software compared to Apple.

That is just my personal humble opinion of course.

Thanks g man. You are absolutely right. So many forums and magazines on how to do things with LR and cant find anything on apeeture. I downloaded the trial version of LR and am quite happy with it. Just need to do some migration now!

Lightroom integrates better with Photoshop. iPhoto integrates better with Aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyep View Post
    Lightroom integrates better with Photoshop. iPhoto integrates better with Aperture.
    bro, thanks but you have rephrased my question rather than answer it : )
    the question is, given that LT integrates better with PS, and IP integrates better with Aperture, which is the more worth to keep, and which is the one to give up : )

Quote Originally Posted by chongster View Post

bro, thanks but you have rephrased my question rather than answer it : )
    the question is, given that LT integrates better with PS, and IP integrates better with Aperture, which is the more worth to keep, and which is the one to give up : )
    I'm not rephrasing it for you. That's my answer. LR is basically Bridge + Camera Raw. Which means a file you open in Photoshop through LR will automatically appears in LR when you save it in Photoshop. This do save time in the long run, you do not have to manually add it back to LE every time you edit it in photoshop. The same for iPhoto and Aperture. They both are able to share the same library.

Which RAW processing do you prefer? Even though they both gives almost the same settings to fiddle with, their processing engine is not the same.

I personally use both. Aperture for casual/personal and LR/Photshop for work.
    Last edited by tonyep; 12th April 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyep View Post
    Which RAW processing do you prefer? Even though they both gives almost the same settings to fiddle with, their processing engine is not the same.

I personally use both. Aperture for casual/personal and LR/Photshop for work.

Thanks bro, this is insightful. I have downloaded LR to try but there is no trying for aperture.

if as you say they allow you to fiddle with the same settings, just different ways to do so, then aperture is quite tempting at $98 vs $178.

Apple usually gets it right when it comes to user friendliness, and i am coming to realize that i probably wont be going to PS that often with what you can do with LR or Aperture...

Quote Originally Posted by chongster View Post

Thanks bro, this is insightful. I have downloaded LR to try but there is no trying for aperture.

if as you say they allow you to fiddle with the same settings, just different ways to do so, then aperture is quite tempting at $98 vs $178.

Apple usually gets it right when it comes to user friendliness, and i am coming to realize that i probably wont be going to PS that often with what you can do with LR or Aperture...
    LR 5 just came out. Save your money, don't spend it on LR 4. Download the LR 5 public beta and use it meanwhile, it's free till LR 5 is out. Then purchase it afterwards rather than purchasing LR 4 now then having to pay an upgrade fee to LR 5.