Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    this is the most valuable tips I had.
    I always plan before my event but this haven't occurred to me.[
    I like it when you mentioned the marking on the floor .. it seems to be like my army day's where there is markings at parade square.
    Thats superb good idea
    I will go rent a 16-35 today and perhaps buy one if it is good

    QUOTE=Octarine;8410966]Second that.
    TS: Spend some time on actual location. You could put some markings on the floor where you expect people to stand, then check from shooting locations whether they all fit in or which arrangements you need to make to have them all fitting in nicely. Do keep in mind the mentioned distortions.[/QUOTE]
    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  2. #22
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    agree with some members here, you are over concern about your gears, it only shows you have not done this and don't know what it takes to do a decent group photo.

    yes, you need to go down the site to do recce, you need to see how much area will 150pax take up,

    to arrange a people for group photo itself is already a nightmare, you need a lots of assistants to do that, you just concentration on getting the angle and setting right, of course, the assistants must know what to do about arranging the people and crowd control first.

    don't forget to use loudhailer or a PA system to tell the crowd what to do,

    1.00pm is the worst time to do group photo, you need to pray hard is a cloudy day and they crowd don't have to look at the bright sky.

    if you want to use flash, you need to have a lots of units to cut down the recycling time, the crowd is not very patience standing there to wait for the flash to recycle, if possible, they will want to get out there after you took the first frame.



    good luck.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Yup, I only did class photos before upto 40+ paxs.
    I have seen the past group photos taken at the exact same place as they have the similiar event there previously which also have around the same amount of paxs.

    My main concern is this shot and the organizer said his event coordinator did the same event so many times until he lost count will help to organise them as well as the many assistants from the organiser's side will be assisting in this group photo. Luckily for me.

    The rest will be standard events shoot that I usually do except for the huge group photo


    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    agree with some members here, you are over concern about your gears, it only shows you have not done this and don't know what it takes to do a decent group photo.

    yes, you need to go down the site to do recce, you need to see how much area will 150pax take up,

    to arrange a people for group photo itself is already a nightmare, you need a lots of assistants to do that, you just concentration on getting the angle and setting right, of course, the assistants must know what to do about arranging the people and crowd control first.

    don't forget to use loudhailer or a PA system to tell the crowd what to do,

    1.00pm is the worst time to do group photo, you need to pray hard is a cloudy day and they crowd don't have to look at the bright sky.

    if you want to use flash, you need to have a lots of units to cut down the recycling time, the crowd is not very patience standing there to wait for the flash to recycle, if possible, they will want to get out there after you took the first frame.



    good luck.
    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  4. #24

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Quote Originally Posted by Sito82 View Post
    Thanks alot for the advice, I was planning to use lightroom lens correction to fix this.
    Do check up if Lightroom is able to do that.
    In DxO Optics, I have a tad bit of the sides of the image being cropped off while using automatic correction of anamorphosis.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Thanks bro, I will find time to look at this software.
    I think it will be very useful when I buy a lens like 16-35
    Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    Do check up if Lightroom is able to do that.
    In DxO Optics, I have a tad bit of the sides of the image being cropped off while using automatic correction of anamorphosis.
    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Thanks for the advice, everything went very well today.
    The 16-35 that I have rented based on members recommendation works like a beauty.
    I did not need to correct the distortions as my subjects are all in the centre and the sides are not used at all.
    Did not take long as everyone was very cooperatives and took a quick 6 or 7 shots in a row to ensure no one is looking away at that moment.
    Thanks everyone for your advices .. Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    agree with some members here, you are over concern about your gears, it only shows you have not done this and don't know what it takes to do a decent group photo.

    yes, you need to go down the site to do recce, you need to see how much area will 150pax take up,

    to arrange a people for group photo itself is already a nightmare, you need a lots of assistants to do that, you just concentration on getting the angle and setting right, of course, the assistants must know what to do about arranging the people and crowd control first.

    don't forget to use loudhailer or a PA system to tell the crowd what to do,

    1.00pm is the worst time to do group photo, you need to pray hard is a cloudy day and they crowd don't have to look at the bright sky.

    if you want to use flash, you need to have a lots of units to cut down the recycling time, the crowd is not very patience standing there to wait for the flash to recycle, if possible, they will want to get out there after you took the first frame.



    good luck.
    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  7. #27
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Quote Originally Posted by Sito82 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everything went very well today.
    The 16-35 that I have rented based on members recommendation works like a beauty.
    I did not need to correct the distortions as my subjects are all in the centre and the sides are not used at all.
    Did not take long as everyone was very cooperatives and took a quick 6 or 7 shots in a row to ensure no one is looking away at that moment.
    Thanks everyone for your advices .. Cheers
    Good to know everything work out as planned.


    thanks of sharing.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Show photo if possible, not everyday get to see 150pax grp photo. Wanna see how large is it..thks

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  10. #30
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Quote Originally Posted by Sito82 View Post
    No. Picture is not public.
    EOS

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Can you help me post if I email it to you? My mobile don't have feature for me to copy the url after I used it to upload to google +
    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  12. #32
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Upload to CS gallery.
    EOS

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Thanks for the suggestion, learnt another feature for CS today
    The version that download from facebook is of super low res. Will upload one with reasonable resolution soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Upload to CS gallery.
    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  15. #35

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Quote Originally Posted by Sito82 View Post
    the photo's pretty small

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    I uploaded a 5mb file but not sure why like that
    Canon 1DM4 | EF24-70 f2.8L | EF 70-200mm IS f/2.8L | 50mm f1.4

  17. #37
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    It's 20k with not even 300px on the longest side. Either you picked the wrong file or uploading a huge file will result in automatic resizing. Check the upload instructions.
    EOS

  18. #38

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    get a 8 -15 Fish eye and defish later on.

    hah

  19. #39

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    get a 8 -15 Fish eye and defish later on.

    hah
    hahaha the people in the center will look so weird

  20. #40
    Member agws1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North East Singapore
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

    Sorry to be so late but why has no one suggested 2 similar setups side by side on a rail triggered at the same time with same strobes setting. Then stitching later on.
    I have actually done this as a test years ago with film but printing was a PITA as we needed to trim the negs and print between glass in a pano enlarger holder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •