Thread: Which is better? Step down or Step Up?

Default Which is better? Step down or Step Up?

Hi,

I wanna maintain one set of common filters for usage but cannot decide whether to get a bigger filter and step up for the smaller lens or get a smaller filter and step down for the bigger lens?

Any advises and problems such as vignetting here? cheers~ Thanks in advance for any advise.

step up for the smaller lens is of course better

Step up is better.
    Step down some time will get black corners. the step down ring may block the lens.
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    Hi,

I wanna maintain one set of common filters for usage but cannot decide whether to get a bigger filter and step up for the smaller lens or get a smaller filter and step down for the bigger lens?

Any advises and problems such as vignetting here? cheers~ Thanks in advance for any advise.
    Step up is better b'cos step down could result in vignetting, but step up may result in unwanted shadow when using the built-in flash.

hmmm so step up is still better shadows can be avoided with a external flash cheers~

Hi,

get cokin P system. Much cheaper then getting a full set of 77mm filters then step down. ( just go ask how much is a 77mm polariser )

Just get the filter rings, the holder and ur 1/2way there.

guys I heard something weird from this lady in CP...went there in the afternoon told her I need a 58mm Nikon CP filter and she told me they do not have stock and only have the 52mm so she asked me to get a step down ring for it and said should step down instead of using a bigger filter and step up...

hmmm any comments?

my previous PnS used a 55mm thread size. But it's 55mm becos of the adaptor tube. The actual lens was much smaller. I was also recommended a step down to 52mm becos 52mm filters are cheaper than 55. (smaller = cheaper is generally true)

depending of what camera or lens you're using and how many filters you intend to stack, stepping down may not cause vignetting. Stepping down on a non EF-S or non DX lens will not cause vignetting.

But it is general practice to buy larger filters so that you can reuse the filter across all your available lenses.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

the weird thing is that the lady from CP said you cannot use bigger filters for smaller lens but smaller filters for bigger lens I was like huh!?

my adapter for the fuji is 55mm and the lens for my sony is 58mm so I was thinking of getting away with 58mm all the way

guys I heard something weird from this lady in CP...went there in the afternoon told her I need a 58mm Nikon CP filter and she told me they do not have stock and only have the 52mm so she asked me to get a step down ring for it and said should step down instead of using a bigger filter and step up...

hmmm any comments?
    I want to share filters between my Video cam (37mm) and my D70 Kit lens (67mm). So I should step down from 67mm-37mm on my D70?

hi all thanks for all comments was thinking of getting bigger filters like 72mm, 77mm for my 55mm and 58mm lens, any comments or problems like vignetting?

sorry for all the questions as i just started experimenting with filters and do not wanna spend unneccessarily

Hmm.... Dun step up, dun step down. Juz stick to whatever dimensions ur lens commands?

but i have a 55mm and a 58mm i would have to step up anyway

sori but what i need to do to step up? I got 2 58mm and 1 77mm len but intend to get a 77mm CPL. All 3 can share rite? What need i do?