Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice/Comments from Distinguished Members Please

I just find the formality a little uncomfortable. I seriously thought you were taking the piss but I am clearly mistaken. I therefore apologise for assuming you were.

You see, most people here do with a simple please and thank you. Which is perfectly fine. There is really no need for "distinguished" and all that formality.

Default Re: Advice/Comments from Distinguished Members Please

Hi Daoyin,

Thank you for the info that according to my profile, I am female.

As I am not too smart about computers, I have tried to edit the Gender to Male but don't know how to no matter what I tried.

Do you think it is possible for someone to put that in without my knowledge to play a joke on me?

I do hope that some computer-whizkid will be able to advice me on how to go about correcting this error please.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I just find the formality a little uncomfortable. I seriously thought you were taking the piss but I am clearly mistaken. I therefore apologise for assuming you were.

You see, most people here do with a simple please and thank you. Which is perfectly fine. There is really no need for "distinguished" and all that formality.
    OK. Trying to not be too formal in my reply. Here goes.

Hi G-man,

Thanks for advice. Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen27 View Post

OK. Trying to not be too formal in my reply. Here goes.

Hi G-man,

Thanks for advice. Point taken.
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Hi Stephen,

I personally think your attitude is great, just don't need to be so formal. Well, beats numerous threads out there where the threadstarter asks questions and doesn't read and provides short curt replies which hint that he thinks that everyone else on the forums is his personal information machine.

What trigger are you looking for? I'm not sure what you mean.

As for tripod brands, a lot of people here use Sirui nowadays, it is good value for money. You can drop by TK Foto @ Funan to browse the tripods available to you.. Feel free to ask more if you are not sure what range you want. Maybe here are some questions that you could answer for people here to help you out better:

1) What is your weight tolerance for a tripod?
    2) Do you intend to use it for travelling?
    3) Do you have any height preferences for the tripod? Must it go high? Must it go low?
    4) What do you intend to use the tripod to shoot?
    5) Do you need any special features like: variable angle column (you can Google), detatchable monopod, etc?
    Thank you for your advice. Will digest the points mentioned.

Cheers,
    Stephen

In answer to your question, you need to ask yourself some questions:

1. What is my tolerance for weight? Can I bear lugging a good yet hefty tripod about or do I want something light.

2. Will I be disciplined enough to bring the tripod each time I shoot?

3. Do I take public transport or drive?

Based on the above you can take a look at a variety of tripods at TK Foto (level 2 Funan)

If you can afford it, get a Gitzo which is top of the line. If not consider Sirui. They are very good value for money (half the price or less for one compared to Gitzos). I own both and use them for different purposes. When size and weight are not an issue or I absolutely want to nail the shot regardless of terrain I turn to the Gitzo. If i wish to travel light, the Sirui does it for me as it is a compact tripod.
    Last edited by G-man; 8th April 2013 at 10:23 PM.

400mm f2.8 lens is very big and heavy. Are you sure you want to handle that at age 65?

A lousy tripod will vibrate and is unable to take the weight of 400mm f2.8. You need a super heavy duty one.

For a lens this big and heavy, you are attaching the lens to the tripod; and the camera to the lens.

A tripod for normal lenses like 24-70mm, 16-35mm/17-35mm up to 70-200mm would normally (some might begged to differ) be different for tripod for long lenses like 300mm/f2.8 onwards, due to the weight distribution of the lens and mounting. The tripod head would also be different too.

If money is not an issue, and taking weight constrains into consideration, IMO,

D700 with normal lenses up to 70-200mm/f2.8
    (1) Gitzo G1027/G1028 Mk2 version
    (2) Markins Ballhead (Arca Swiss is too heavy IMO)
    (3) Camera plate can choose from many many brands (RRS, Kirk, Wimberley, etc)

D700 with long lenses up from 300mm/f2.8 onwards
    (1) Gitzo GT2532S/GT2542LS/GT2542S
    (2) Wimberley Gimbal Head v2
    (3) Lens plate can choose from many many brands (RRS, Kirk, Wimberley, etc)

For the tripods/heads for the longer lenses, distinguished Birders like PE, Philip, Foo, etc can better advise you.

Blog Entries

TS, once you want a support system for long lenses like the 400/2.8, you really need to look at systematic tripods. For tripods i suggest Gitzo. If you want to save cost get the Sirui systematic tripods. But the important is to get the legs with enough height. Always estimate on the longer side so you can work with slopes etc. As for head, i suggest you get wimberly gimbals or to save some cost, look at jobu gimbals.

Wow! I am speechless from the many advices/comments etc.,

Thank you ALL!

Cheers,
    Stephen

Thank you ALL!

Cheers,
    Stephen
    <grammar nazi> It's advice, not advices. Advice is a mass noun so no S at the end </grammar nazi>

Ok ok bad joke :P

If all these advice over whelms, you can send me a PM and arrange to meet for kopi.

I don't know a way either to change the gender in a profile. maybe need the help of those atas.

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    I don't know a way either to change the gender in a profile. maybe need the help of those atas.
    Upper right hand "My Profile" (in the black bar) - About me - then click on the pencil icon to edit. Or is that so illogical..?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Upper right hand "My Profile" (in the black bar) - About me - then click on the pencil icon to edit. Or is that so illogical..?
    There is no pencil icon under "gender". Nor is there any way under the general settings/edit profile section.

Blog Entries

Dont think members are allowed to change gender. We have a secret section for ladies. TS if you want to correct your gender you can send a request to any one of the admins. They are Edmund, Darren and Simon.

Blog Entries

Thank you ALL!

Cheers,
    Stephen
    And TK foto at level 2 of funan stocks both gitzo and sirui. And they also stock jobu gimbal heads. You might want to check them out. They are also a one price store, so you dont need to haggle over price
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th April 2013 at 04:54 PM.

Firstly, let me say a very big thank you to all members who provided their advice/comments.

After digesting all that have been said, I think I will not consider getting the 400mm, f/2.8 lens after all.

Like what Senior Member ricohflex commented, quote, "Are you sure you want to handle that at age 65"?

Wow! Come to think of it, it's really scarry for one who has never used a tripod before nor owned such a big lens.

Guess I will settle with my 24-70, f/2.8 and 28-300, f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lenses and not try to be too smart.

My real reason for wanting a lens that can really capture far away sceneries like castles etc. because when I toured Europe, I had my faithful 24-70, f/2.8 lens and my manual 80-200, f/4 lens but I was not satisfied with the picture which seemed very far when I downloaded onto my computer. I then bought the 28-300mm lens after reading some good reviews about it on the NikonUSA website but still have not the opportunity to use it yet.

As for wanting a tripod, I am intending to join some photography course and it seems that a tripod is a pre-requisite for students hence my request for advice and comments from my learned friends.

Last but not least, thank you to whoever you are for changing my Gender to Male which is rightly so otherwise it makes me feel like a "Duck".

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen27; 12th April 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Firstly, let me say a very big thank you to all members who provided their advice/comments.

After digesting all that have been said, I think I will not consider getting the 400mm, f/2.8 lens after all.

Like what Senior Member ricohflex commented, quote, "Are you sure you want to handle that at age 65"?

Wow! Come to think of it, it's really scarry for one who has never used a tripod before nor owned such a big lens.

Guess I will settle with my 24-70, f/2.8 and 28-300, f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lenses and not try to be too smart.

My real reason for wanting a lens that can really capture far away sceneries like castles etc. because when I toured Europe, I had my faithful 24-70, f/2.7 lens and my manual 80-200, f/4 lens but I was not satisfied with the picture which seemed very far when I downloaded onto my computer. I then bought the 28-300mm lens after reading some good reviews about it on the NikonUSA website but still have not the opportunity to use it yet.

As for wanting a tripod, I am intending to join some photography course and it seems that a tripod is a pre-requisite for students hence my request for advice and comments from my learned friends.

Last but not least, thank you to whoever you are for changing my Gender to Male which is rightly so otherwise it makes me feel like a "Duck".

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Actually... 400mm f2.8 might be too heavy for normal usage and people (I being one... I even complained sometime that my 300mm f4L is too heavy). However if you need the range, you need the range. Instead of getting a 400mm f2.8, you could consider something of a smaller aperture like the Nikkor 400mm f5.6 or the Tamron 200-400mm lens. Of course these lenses do not have VR and so a tripod is needed if you are shooting at a low speed... Also you could look to the fabulous Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens too, coupled with a teleconverter (1.4x), you should have roughly the same focal length as a 400mm lens except that it will function as a f4.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

My real reason for wanting a lens that can really capture far away sceneries like castles etc. because when I toured Europe, I had my faithful 24-70, f/2.7 lens and my manual 80-200, f/4 lens but I was not satisfied with the picture which seemed very far when I downloaded onto my computer. I then bought the 28-300mm lens.

Perhaps you can consider this type of camera for those "long" shots. But then consider how often will this type of requirement arise and its cost benefit.

Top 10 Best Ultra Zoom Bridge Digital Cameras

Last edited by Daoyin; 12th April 2013 at 09:49 AM.

Thank you to both Senior Members Daoyin and rhino123 for their helpful comments and advices including providing me the website link to the Top 10 Best Ultra Zoom Bridge Digital Cameras (from Daoyin).

I do not think I will ever want to consider a 3rd party lens other than Nikkor and if possible, with an f/number of f/2.8

Have been stuck with Nikon when I purchased my F3 camera with a f/1.2, 50mm lens the day my eldest daughter was born.

This camera is still in good condition and kept in my dry box for more than 30 years now!

In fact, I also purchased a Coolpix P7100 because of its convenience to carry around in my pocket and I must say I am happy with it so far as the shots are sharp and its focal length is equivalent to that of 28-200mm lens in 35mm format. To me, its a small pocket dynamo for informal shots though.

Thanks once again my learned friends. Appreciate your comments and advice.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12