Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CANON MARATHON XI 2013

Default Re: CANON MARATHON XI 2013

Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    For shirts, just come early and try your usual size on.
    Remember: "The best camera is the one you have with you; the worst lens is the one on your camera."
    At high enough shutter speeds and ISO, a tripod would not be needed. Do you really want to go around Singapore on this marathon lugging all your gear?
    BTW, bring a jpg of a picture you want a free large print of! Free 1 print for all, usually.
    Bring all your Canon cameras and lenses you want cleaned. For deep cleaning you will need to get it at the service center (and pay).
    Free model shoot of babe(s)!
    Alternatively, there is the tried and tested method of simply booking a studio or hotel room nearby for the shot you want to do. Thus far, there is no clear indication cannot do it this way either.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

then no need to have photomarathon, just have some photo competition or PP competition haha

Quote Originally Posted by MYlover View Post
    then no need to have photomarathon, just have some photo competition or PP competition haha
    I agree also. Thus far, they have never really enforced the submissions cut off time thus its taken for granted no need to come back so early.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Just look around and see how many are doing PP

I'll need to go home during the announcement of the 2nd theme to settle family issue and likely be able to come back only at 2pm.
    Any kind soul can post the 2nd theme here later?
    So dat I can start along the way back?

First theme Tradition.

Yeh, still working on dat...
    Wonder why find a teh tarik man when u needed one...

Hi wat is the 2nd theme?
    anyone? Thx!
    Last edited by Zeo00; 6th July 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Communicate
    Gear List: Canon 5D MK II, Canon 40D, 17-40 F4L, 35 1.4L[/COLOR], 85 1.8 135 F2 L, 580EXII

3rd theme?
    A photograph can take you back in time to places and embraces that thought you'd left behind.

Instant
    Gear List: Canon 5D MK II, Canon 40D, 17-40 F4L, 35 1.4L[/COLOR], 85 1.8 135 F2 L, 580EXII

Hmm... feels like the photo marathon is more like giving rewards to "staged shots" rather than spontaneous shots which you walk around and find suitable subjects to shoot... my humble opinion... maybe next year I will do that...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yaolong View Post
    Hmm... feels like the photo marathon is more like giving rewards to "staged shots" rather than spontaneous shots which you walk around and find suitable subjects to shoot... my humble opinion... maybe next year I will do that...
    eh... hasn't it been the case for the last few editions? i remembered CSers posting about this over the last couple of years. IIRC, the 2nd edition, i think the theme was action or motion... i remembered seeing a pic of a studio-taken stroboscopic shot being submitted, and accepted. hats off to that competitor who actually booked a studio beforehand just for the marathon.... i just shook my head and went home after that, forgoing the rest of the competition...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Not really, I find the winner for the 3rd Theme "Instant" is a really amazing shot, a heron (I think) tossing a fish into it's mouth. Think this is the first time a birding shot won if I'm not wrong.

Anyway, it's up to the participant to interpret the shot he/she wants, and how he/she wants to achieve it.
    Last edited by J-Chan; 7th July 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Probably a seasoned wildlife photographer

Not every winning shot is staged....but IIRC, last year's best of show winner staged most of his shots/self portraits. If that is what it takes to come up with a winning shot to wow the judges, then take that into account, consider it seriously as a game plan, and plan/execute accordingly for next year's competition.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post

Not every winning shot is staged....but IIRC, last year's best of show winner staged most of his shots/self portraits. If that is what it takes to come up with a winning shot to wow the judges, then take that into account, consider it seriously as a game plan, and plan/execute accordingly for next year's competition.
    I feel that some of the staged winning shots are a bit far fetched though. Which do you think is more important composition or relevance to theme?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGary View Post
    I feel that some of the staged winning shots are a bit far fetched though. Which do you think is more important composition or relevance to theme?
    both are equally important.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

So who's the winner of the second theme Communicate?

Next year's judges may not have the same view. Just shoot your best and give it a good shot. Take competitions seriously, yet not too seriously.

http://www.magichourunplugged.com/20...-a-no-contest/

What does winning a competition mean? Merely that on a particular day, a group of judges felt that these photographs stood out to them. It is not a requirement that anyone agree with their decision and even among the judges, there may not even be a particular photo that they can label as being ‘the best’. Why should that matter? I’m sure that most people entering into art competitions would have the sense to realize that if you replaced the judging panel with another, the results may be completely different. Yes, art is subjective between different people but the process of giving an opinion on a photo is not. Either you find it aesthetically pleasing or not, original or pedestrian, striking or banal, emotional moving or indifferent. This is how art is judged; it is based on opinion and most people know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast