Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: D600 User Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post

I am guessing budget is no concern here since you got the best general purpose lens even though you are new.

You will get varying replies here for sure. Problem is, both are capable lenses. Some people like it tighter, some don't. What's your preference? All I can say is so far, negative reviews of the 85mm is hardly seen, if any. The pictures taken with this lens are top rated, just go to Flickr and you will know what I mean.

As for the 50mm, I suggest to either just skip it since you already have the 24-70, or save some money to get the 50 f1.8G, which gives the f1.4 a big run for its money.

Finally, if you want to concentrate on photography and not lens upgrades thereafter, buy the 70-200mm f2.8 VR2. You'll be surprise how far zoom lenses have come, with it's IQ matching the prime lenses, and giving u added versatility. I am saving up to go this route.

My humble opinion
    Hi, thx for the reply, regarding the 70-200 heard it was a heavy weight lens while Shoting ?

Quote Originally Posted by martinchan83 View Post

Hi, thx for the reply, regarding the 70-200 heard it was a heavy weight lens while Shoting ?
    It is, but not much more than your 24-70 in practice. If you are ok with the 24-70, you should be fine with the 70-200.

Once you are used to it, which I believe needs not much time, you will not worry abt it's weight.

You camera bag plays a part too. I regretted getting sling bag, only realizing that when I go traveling with all my gears in. If you go with the 70-200, get a backpack. It will make life much easier.
    Last edited by wolfton; 30th April 2013 at 10:46 PM.
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

It is, but not much more than your 24-70 in practice. If you are ok with the 24-70, you should be fine with the 70-200.

Once you are used to it, which I believe needs not much time, you will not worry abt it's weight.

You camera bag plays a part too. I regretted getting sling bag, only realizing that when I go traveling with all my gears in. If you go with the 70-200, get a backpack. It will make life much easier.
    Noted, thx for the opinion..

Oh ya, one more, do you know more about Marco lens? You using fx camera too?

Default Re: D600 User Thread II

Sorry bro, not into Macro yet, so have not read up on it. You may wanna search in Google on "Nikon Macro photography", there are lots of good websites that pop up in that search engine. Read them up when you are free

And yes, I am FX user bro

I am guessing budget is no concern here since you got the best general purpose lens even though you are new.

You will get varying replies here for sure. Problem is, both are capable lenses. Some people like it tighter, some don't. What's your preference? All I can say is so far, negative reviews of the 85mm is hardly seen, if any. The pictures taken with this lens are top rated, just go to Flickr and you will know what I mean.

As for the 50mm, I suggest to either just skip it since you already have the 24-70, or save some money to get the 50 f1.8G, which gives the f1.4 a big run for its money.

Finally, if you want to concentrate on photography and not lens upgrades thereafter, buy the 70-200mm f2.8 VR2. You'll be surprise how far zoom lenses have come, with it's IQ matching the prime lenses, and giving u added versatility. I am saving up to go this route.

My humble opinion
    I came from a long way though.
    Starting with D5100 with a 35mm 1.8DX and 18-55 kit lens, I changed to
    D7000 with a 18-200vr1, 35mm f1.8G & 50mm f.18D

I sold my 18-200vr1 as I found the small aperture doesn't suit to my liking. It is a good walkabout lens though.

Now holding with my D600 is the Sigma 35 f1.4, a 50mm f1.8D, a 85mm f1.8G, and lastly a 70-200 f2.8 VR1.
    For street shots, or portraits, I always have my 35mm f1.4 and 70-200mm.
    85mm is not really needed as it falls within the 70-200. Overkills.

I will not be getting the Holy Trinity.
    I would want a 14-24 f2.8, the sigma 35 f.14 remains and 70-200mm. This will build up my set.
    Remember not to overlap the focal length. Sell off unnecessary lens.

And oh ya, get a backpack. You will be carrying more than 4kg with flashgun, battery grip and additional accessories

And and, get a third party strap such as Op/Tech USA. The thick pad absorb much pressure as compared to the original strap.
    Some Op/Tech USA stap come long with additional small strap. It can be hold at the backpack so the camera body can be strap to the backpack.
    The load of the 70-200 can be share together with the backpack so you can walk more without feeling the load.

Before buying lens, work on what types of photography you are going into in the near future / immediately

If you are going into photographing models and human portraits, then you should look at the 85mm f/1.4 lens and its respective lighting systems like flash(s), soft box, reflectors, remote flash control units etc etc. Having walked the path, I would say that 50mm prime lens is not really for the hobbylist unless you know what you can do with it to your liking. for commercial work, a 50mm is almost a staple. And no point for you to get the 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.8G as you have the 24-70mm f/2.8G

If you are going into street, general landscape, sports or want to be more versatile, the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II will be a good choice but you'll need a flash (SB 910) for event photography.

Having used both 70-200 f/2.8 VR II and the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 for the last year, I have to say that 85mm f/1.4 is the proper tool for portraits.

A flash will also work well with your 24-70mm f/2.8G if you are going indoor events.

Marco lens depends on what you want to work on. For insects, most would get the 105mm f/2.8 VR Marco

Going back to the first point, work on what you want photograph first, get the composure and other associated techniques correct first before buying other equipment. The gear mentioned are all very expensive and one has to easily give up 20% of purchase price once you try to sell them.

Hi there, if there a choices of Nikon 50mm 1.4g and 85mm 1.8g, which are better for portrait with my Nikon d600? Sorry guys I'm new in photography, and just brought a 24/70 2.8, now are thinking of this 2 type of prime lens. Hope to heard advice here
    Last edited by Luminare; 30th April 2013 at 11:24 PM.

If u wan cheap macro photography, just buy a $130 Raynox DCR-250 and slap it onto your 24-70 as and when u need to shoot macro objects.

Else if u really dedicated into macro photography, try getting a cheap Tamron 90mm macro 1:1 f2.8 lens instead at abt $300 second-hand.

Anyone done IR shoot with this camera? How was it?

Noted, I have a sb800, thinking to upgrade to sb900 or is it nessacery to go to sb910?

Noted, I have a sb800, thinking to upgrade to sb900 or is it nessacery to go to sb910?
    Actually for general use, anything from SB600 is already enough. Your SB800 is definitely good enough. Upgrade only if you find it limiting in your daily usage or if you intend to do serious strobe.

Actually, you don't need to really upgrade until you know what the SB 800 cannot give you what you want that other gear can. I started with a SB 600 but decided to get the SB 910 because my friend gave me a good price at his shop.

Go and check out the regular suspects (shops) in funan. You may get a surprising good price out of it.

IMHO, When you know that your photos are limited by the gear that you have and not the technique, then it is time to part company with the wallet's contents once again.

I still like my sb800... Thx guys, have a good knowrage from here..

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    Nice shot. Yup f1.4 not teally suitable for environmental portraits.
    not really, especially the 35mm, you need the f1.4 if you shoot full body. i find a lot of my 35mm shots are f2 or 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post

not really, especially the 35mm, you need the f1.4 if you shoot full body. i find a lot of my 35mm shots are f2 or 1.6
    Maybe its just preference but imo, F2 at 35mm is pretty shallow for environmental portraits.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Luminare View Post
    Before buying lens, work on what types of photography you are going into in the near future / immediately
    Another school of thought is to just buy all the lenses. You are covered for all situations. Don't need to constantly ask what lens is good for what, should I get this or that, etc....

I still like my sb800... Thx guys, have a good knowrage from here..
    Have the SB-800, SB-900 and SB-910.

The main difference is the 5th extra battery is not necessary on SB-9x0s.

Apart from that, don't really need the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by enenyi View Post
    If u wan cheap macro photography, just buy a $130 Raynox DCR-250 and slap it onto your 24-70 as and when u need to shoot macro objects.

Else if u really dedicated into macro photography, try getting a cheap Tamron 90mm macro 1:1 f2.8 lens instead at abt $300 second-hand.
    Raynox DCR 250 adapter ring is for 52-67mm filter size. 24-70 filter size is 77mm...

Quote Originally Posted by keeper76 View Post
    Raynox DCR 250 adapter ring is for 52-67mm filter size. 24-70 filter size is 77mm...
    Step-down converter ring lor...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambious View Post
    Anyone done IR shoot with this camera? How was it?
    IR with d600? A little expensive for the IR isnt it?
    Just shoot only.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast