Thread: eyeone display 2 or spider 2 or spider 2 PRO?

Default eyeone display 2 or spider 2 or spider 2 PRO?

I hope to properly calibrate my notebook LCD screen, thinking of getting either the eyeone display 2 or spider 2 or the spider 2 Pro. Price wise the spider 2 is cheapest, follow by the eyeone, then the spider 2 PRO, but I wonder if there is reason to get the eyeone 2 or the PRO if the quality/end result is obvious?

I want to buy once only, don't want regret and upgrade later.

Which one will you advise? Thanks.
    Last edited by Kho King; 4th April 2005 at 12:11 PM.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Deregistered

I would vote for ... Bak-Jiu !!!

anymore opinion?
    DR KOH KHO KING

Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    I want to buy once only, don't want regret and upgrade later.
    that's why...u should get the best and the one that trusted and proven (ie. eye-one)

according to Oeyvind, the spyder is very inaccurate in terms of contrast, esp on LCD

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....2&postcount=89
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Wai

That's one dot on a graph plot - you canot draw a line with one point. Are there any feed back from people who have both ?

grin a little lazy I know I should do a google on this.

Blog Entries

I have used both the Spyder and the Eye One Display (currently using the Eye One) and I have found that the Spyder does not calibrate notebook LCD displays accurately. Its okay with LCD monitors that have more controls but very ineffective with notebook LCDs. At one point, I was seeing green in the shadows and ending up with images on screen of people with green hair.

But another friend using the Spyder managed to get proper calibration on his notebook with the Spyder.

So thats another two data points on the Spyder, albeit conflicting

But, I would highly recommend the Eye One Display as it gives the best overall calibration if given a choice between the Spyder and Eye One. Calibrations between desktop, notebook, Macintosh have all been spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by ellery
    Wai

That's one dot on a graph plot - you canot draw a line with one point. Are there any feed back from people who have both ?

grin a little lazy I know I should do a google on this.
    ESPN and Oeyvind both own a spyder last time but sold away to get eye-one...may be u can check with them why they want to sell their spyder away
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Thanks guys. I guess EyeOne D2 is the one to go for
    DR KOH KHO KING

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    ESPN and Oeyvind both own a spyder last time but sold away to get eye-one...may be u can check with them why they want to sell their spyder away
    Both of them are PRO, so need more accuracy I think that they were switching from the original spyder which is different from the Spyder 2. (7 colour filters versus 3) Should not mix up original Spyder and Spyder 2.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm

note from the above that all solutions, even the lousy original spyder, are better than calibrating with your eye. The only question is what standard you want and how much you want to pay.

Another point is that since these instruments are so sensitive, after a few years use, won't there be some drift in the calibration instruments themselves? After all, if you are in engineering, you know that calibration instruments also have to be calibrated What happens then... have to change every few years to ensure accuracy? Better to buy cheaper and replace more frequently? Original Eye-one is only US$149 in amazon.com.

maybe somebody can lend me an Eye-one so i can see whether i want to give my original Spyder away, then i can become no.3 even though i'm no pro...
    Last edited by erwinx; 4th April 2005 at 06:01 PM.

get the eye-one

Well according to an article by andrew rodney aka digital dog, they seem even matched except in some areas.

The more neutral grey in laptop lcd is probably due to eye-one V2 being able to create a profile based on one gamma curve. Laptops are know to have problems with producing smooth gray gradients and with 3 gamma curve you could get color shifts. Trade off you get good previews but at expense of a possible color inaccuracy in grey when printing - your coin your call.

Grin which one is cheaper may be the way to go ----- or as one bloke said use both to calibrate choose the one the looks the best to you.

How much is the basic Spyder 2 set now? Only Cathay selling?

The amazon eyeone stuff I checked, they said that due to import restrictions they currently can't ship over... oh well