Thread: Davao city

Default Davao city

Hi had any clubsnapper went to this country before?
    Just want to seek for some advice on the equipment to bring... is it safe for us to bring dslr and some lenses there?
    and also seek for some advice on where to go and enjoy thanks in advance!

Davao city is a very safe place. Probably the safest according to the locals there.

But when you travel, you jyst need to be cautious. Dont leave things around and ypu will be ok.

Default Re: Davao city

just do not leave your things unattended and lying around anywhere and keep them at your side AT ALL TIMES. Don not bring too much cash with you also.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdragon View Post
    Davao city is a very safe place. Probably the safest according to the locals there.

But when you travel, you jyst need to be cautious. Dont leave things around and ypu will be ok.
    Yup thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Zhichun View Post
    Hi had any clubsnapper went to this country before?
    Just want to seek for some advice on the equipment to bring... is it safe for us to bring dslr and some lenses there?
    and also seek for some advice on where to go and enjoy thanks in advance!
    Davao in Philippines?

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

Davao in Philippines?
    Yup I Philippines

Just came back from a 18 day trip to Visayas Region in Philipines. My gear that i brought along with me was close to around $10k in value. Apart from the usual stares you get from lugging a DSLR in such countries, I personally felt safe using my gear.

Didn't go Davao, went Bohol, Palawan, and Dumaguete. Just practice the usual caution when traveling.
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Clarenze View Post
    Just came back from a 18 day trip to Visayas Region in Philipines. My gear that i brought along with me was close to around $10k in value. Apart from the usual stares you get from lugging a DSLR in such countries, I personally felt safe using my gear.

Didn't go Davao, went Bohol, Palawan, and Dumaguete. Just practice the usual caution when traveling.
    Okay! Did u change the straps or gaffer up your equipments etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Zhichun View Post

Okay! Did u change the straps or gaffer up your equipments etc?
    I do not gaffer my equip.

Strap wise I was using a black rapid.

Have to warn you though, I have heard many stories from my Pinoy friends not to flaunt your valuables openly. But I've been backpacking with my gear over many countries without any mishap so far. Either I'm lucky, or others are just too paranoid.

Have to warn you though, I have heard many stories from my Pinoy friends not to flaunt your valuables openly. But I've been backpacking with my gear over many countries without any mishap so far. Either I'm lucky, or others are just too paranoid.
    Alright I'm with my wife she is also from davao hope but I'm just afraid of snatchers, should be in my bag unless I'm going to take photo.

I think you have been very lucky. Its true there are security risks when travelling in these places, esp if you are alone & with expensive items. Just in the hotel I stayed, the guard was wearing a gun & belt full of bullets like some kind of cowboy & this is not for fun Best to exercise caution & move around discreetly without flaunting the stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    I think you have been very lucky. Its true there are security risks when travelling in these places, esp if you are alone & with expensive items. Just in the hotel I stayed, the guard was wearing a gun & belt full of bullets like some kind of cowboy & this is not for fun Best to exercise caution & move around discreetly without flaunting the stuff....
    It's the same everywhere in most parts of the Philippines. Even at shopping malls and Jolibee, their security guards carry arms. Well of course I do not walk around hanging my gears around my neck. It's like putting a sign "come rob me". Generally in tourist attractions where there are many people carrying a DSLR too, it's safe to take my gear out.

Once you become a frequent backpacker, you will know how to safeguard yourself and your belongings especially when staying in dorms.

Should be safe. Davao City is safer then Manlia.
    Can't be said outside the the city.
    Last edited by archon; 15th April 2013 at 10:07 PM.

the places you've mentioned are actually safe compared to manila. Besides, you'll hardly see scenic spots in manila nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by archon View Post
    Should be safe. Davao City is safer then Manlia.
    Can't be said outside the the city.
    agree.

Quote Originally Posted by emcsquared View Post

the places you've mentioned are actually safe compared to manila. Besides, you'll hardly see scenic spots in manila nowadays.

agree.
    That's great, I haven't been there for 2 yrs alr wonder how is it like there now. Thanks for the info